The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hook by Eric Ross (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11~12~13 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1597 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for sharing that, Nathan. That’s very helpful. I have to say that judging by this vid for me personally the initial fase of putting the hook in the mouth is not clean enough. For $ 99 I want that to look better, I would like to be able to show the hook being attached.
It also strikes me that at the climax there’s no big reaction or relief by the other people watching. They don’t seem that impressed, unlike with the Rubik’s cube effect. It seems only the girl pulling the strings is really involved emotionally.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
I'm however still in the market for this or something similar. I love the idea of the hook though.

I've got an idea to get strong emotions from ALL the spectators - Maybe the magician can hold a fishing/hunting knife in their hand and threaten to stab the spectators if he gets injured by the hook? ;-)
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Haha! That’s WILD! Please make sure you get someone to capture that on video and share it with us! I still like the idea of this as well, the dramatic premise is great and it’s very different visually.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
353 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Thanks for sharing that, Nathan. That’s very helpful. I have to say that judging by this vid for me personally the initial fase of putting the hook in the mouth is not clean enough. For $ 99 I want that to look better, I would like to be able to show the hook being attached.
It also strikes me that at the climax there’s no big reaction or relief by the other people watching. They don’t seem that impressed, unlike with the Rubik’s cube effect. It seems only the girl pulling the strings is really involved emotionally.

Regarding the spectators not reacting in the video, they were all too busy recording the effect on their phones, instead of watching it in the moment.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1686 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Really want to get this....BUT... you can clearly see that nothing is attached to the hook when it goes into the mouth.
Does this fly by?
I think the people who I perform for would think that straight away.
Does it look fair live?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4097 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
Really want to get this....BUT... you can clearly see that nothing is attached to the hook when it goes into the mouth.
Does this fly by?
Does it look fair live?

In the moment, I don't think you would have any problem at all. When people go home and if they bother to think about the trick, it is most definitely a point where they can easily draw the correct conclusion for the method. Does this matter for performers whom gig and likely would never see their spectators again? Probably not since for that scenario you have other effects (hopefully) to bolster your performance as a whole and this and all other Russian roulette style routines the payoff is really to just get the reactions in the moment.

You basically have to decide, entertain in the moment or truly try to fool a person. The two can often go hand in hand but in many other ways and situations can be separate from each other. So this is more of a philosophical debate rather than if this release is good or not. I like this release personally so I'm not poo poo'ing it.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
670 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
Does this fly by?
Does it look fair live?

String is attached from the very beginning and when it enters the mouth
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4097 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, dman11 wrote:
Quote:
Does this fly by?
Does it look fair live?

Kind of attached. It's assumed attached since that's the part you are pinching and effectively hiding from view. It does appear to be attached clearly in the end though. From what I understand, when you bring it out, you bring out the hook and strings already set up ready to go and be placed in your mouth. That's the part that some people have apprehensions about. It's a point that a person can reasonably backtrack to the method if they were to think about it.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
670 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Does this fly by?
Does it look fair live?

Kind of attached. It's assumed attached since that's the part you are pinching and effectively hiding from view. .

Not kind of, not assumed..it IS attached.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4097 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Does this fly by?
Does it look fair live?

Kind of attached. It's assumed attached since that's the part you are pinching and effectively hiding from view. .

Not kind of, not assumed..it IS attached.

Then explain why in all the videos of this performed the effect never starts off with ONE SINGLE string attached to the hook and instead always brought out with all the other strings pinched at the point where the string attaches to hook? That's not a clear demonstration of ONE string attached with several other loose threads. The only time I've seen the string clearly attached to the hook is on the reveal in the end.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4808 Posts

Profile of videoman
If you could get a hold of a similar hook it would be easy to work out a switch either before or after, at least when performing in a parlor situation.
Not saying that this is necessary by any means just pointing out that it would be easy to do for any who might be concerned.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4097 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Correction, Mike's video, it just looks like all the strings are attached to the hook when he dangles the hook from the strings. So that's not a great display in the beginning either. I actually like how Ekaterina performed it better (at least with that initial display, one can argue that they don't know which string is attached as opposed to dangling the hook in the beginning which just looks like they are all attached to the hook).

For reference as to why some potential customers of this are asking the questions of how cleanly can you show the string tied to the hook, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBOd5ONjek

Bill does a great job performing there but I'm going to assume that he's performing for a friend/family and she's very blegh about it as one can see from the reaction. It's not the fault of the trick it's not the fault of the performance, the reality is that a lot of amateurs and hobbyists are performing material for friends and family the majority of the time and this is a concern when that's the demographic you're performing for which makes trying to make things hard to or impossible to backtrack a requirement in the material they choose to use. If you assume that there's not going to be people you perform for trying to figure out the method, then you're only tricking yourself at that point. It may not be a concern for many performers but it's a concern for a good number of them. It is what it is, and that's why these questions are important to them and why they are being asked.
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, videoman wrote:
If you could get a hold of a similar hook it would be easy to work out a switch either before or after, at least when performing in a parlor situation.
Not saying that this is necessary by any means just pointing out that it would be easy to do for any who might be concerned.

I was thinking this same thing as well, in regards to a switch. I personally, would prefer not to go down that road.

I will say that I did add a slight subtlety to my setup in order to 'sell' the idea that there is one string knotted to the hook. This is useful as you pull the hook out of your mouth.

The other thing I don't know that people here are picking up on: In the beginning, the spectator has no idea what you are going to do. You have a hook and several lengths of twine. You give the instructions / rules (1. choose only one string at a time and 2. pull very hard) and ONLY then do you say, "I'm now going to put the hook in my mouth." Which you then do - immediately. I would never explain what I am going to do, and then delay putting the hook in my mouth. That in itself should be a moment that takes the spectator by surprise. The spectator can see the twine and hook, and, at this point anyway, accepts that you say one of the strings is knotted to it. The fact you put the hook in your mouth should not be done casually. It's a big deal to have a three pronged hook in your mouth, no matter what. In successful performances - this is what makes the effect great. Even if afterwards, they backtrack to try and figure how it is done, if you sell the premise, you will succeed in getting reactions.

Another note: If you're a magician and you perform regularly for family, I don't think this is going to be as impacting as with strangers. Your family knows you aren't going to seriously put yourself in harm's way. They anticipate being fooled/entertained, not that you are really pulling a stunt.
...forever curious
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Good points, I like your way of thinking about this effect.
miltos
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of miltos
Can we find this somewhere in Europe?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Always read the instructions before trying out new tricks.

Click here to view attached image.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
OMG Slyhand! How did you do that? I was just getting ready to work with it, now you’ve got me scared to try it.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Sorry everyone. I just thought it would funny. It's Photoshopped. I really didn't think anyone would think I actually did that to myself.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
Yeah, I was just messing with you, too.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2964 Posts

Profile of tophatter
That was funny !! anyone having a problem putting the string on the ring real difficult for me my thumb is hurting ! am I the only one with this issue ?
Thanks,
Tophatter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hook by Eric Ross (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL