The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hook by Eric Ross (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1539 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Propdog are selling replacing string.
Picked up a batch 👌🏻
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
I bought this and really like the idea/method, but the video instructions are awful. Lets stop trying to make instructional videos that are "hip". In the dark with shadows videos along with blurry upclose shots are awful. Also, in the instructions he says things like " and do this and like this" and the frickin gimmick ins't even in the camera shot. Awful. I wouldn't pass on this trick, but if the creators are reading do yourself a favor and hire a professional camera crew.
nukraze
View Profile
New user
NJ
74 Posts

Profile of nukraze
I was excited to pick this up given the premise but I'm having an issue with the hook. It's a bit too big to fit comfortably in my mouth. Anyone else have this issue? I've tried contacting the guys at Lost Art Magic but it's been almost a week with no response. Just wondering if I'm on my own here or if anyone else had this issue.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Buy a different hook and dull the ends.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, nukraze wrote:
I was excited to pick this up given the premise but I'm having an issue with the hook. It's a bit too big to fit comfortably in my mouth. Anyone else have this issue? I've tried contacting the guys at Lost Art Magic but it's been almost a week with no response. Just wondering if I'm on my own here or if anyone else had this issue.

I did in the beginning. And actually until I got used to it, the first few times a performed it the hook caused me to bleed a minor bit from hitting my gums. It wasn't a bad thing, it turned out to be fantastic because I think it made the whole effect more believable in the audiences eyes judging by their reactions!

So don't worry about it and show a little blood! They will love it!
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, RNK wrote:

So don't worry about it and show a little blood! They will love it!

I agree. This Halloween, I purchased some fake blood capsules that you can keep in your mouth and bite down on. Depending on the audience, this is something that can really enhance the spectacle. You can use it before (wipe away a little blood from your mouth with a handkerchief) at this point they don't know what's coming, but you indicate that you're going to repeat an effect for them that you performed earlier. When they see the hook...they'll put it together. Or you can use it during ('You REALLY pulled hard that time!') Or after. ('The cost of doing business..').
...forever curious
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4607 Posts

Profile of videoman
If it is literally too big they have many sizes of treble hooks, so simply get a smaller one. This may take a couple tries of trial and error but they aren’t that expensive.
nukraze
View Profile
New user
NJ
74 Posts

Profile of nukraze
Thanks to all for the feedback and recommendations. I guess I wasn't sure if it could be replaced with something off the shelf. Will take a look around and see what I can find. Thanks!
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
791 Posts

Profile of Rook
It can be replaced with an off-the-shelf treble hook, but you'll have to be careful in dulling the tines. I have a fairly small mouth as well and thought that I would have to purchase another hook to replace it, but I've found that with proper placement, it works just fine as-is.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1539 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Agreed on the instructions.
Had to sort of guess how it was attached.
sebola
View Profile
New user
Germany
25 Posts

Profile of sebola
Hey Friends,

i had a few handling ideas, I didn't found so far, so maybe they are interesting for anyone?

1. The first idea had with this product is: Why had nobody combined it with different coloured strings and a prediction?
i want to start this effect in 2020 and use different coloured strings, while holding a 4-way-out-envelope in my hands for example.
so, this would be a little extra layer and combines this stunt with magic again. also, we have a second big reaction.
what do you think of this?

2. I thought of taping my tooth for safety from the inner side.
im sure you know these little stickers, made for going under chairs, tabled etc..one side sticky, one side bold textured...also they are available in any sizes.
maybe its a good idea to stick 4 little ones at the innersides of the teeths to have a bit extra-safety(feeling).
what do you think?

:)
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2460 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I wouldn't want to put a prediction into this. It changes the nature of the effect.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
I wouldn't want to put a prediction into this. It changes the nature of the effect.

Agree. The effect is super strong enough with great suspense. IMO, a prediction would lessen the impact of the suspense emotions in the end.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2216 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Ive read this thread and my question and I assume the answer is 100%...How safe is this?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
309 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, shomemagic wrote:
Ive read this thread and my question and I assume the answer is 100%...How safe is this?

In my opinion, 99.5% safe. The .5% risk factor is if you don't follow the instructions or set it up properly.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3116 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Just my opinion...I would not want to pull a string out of someone's mouth. I just think that is repulsive. I saw a Magician pull a card out of his mouth and give the card to the participant....spit dripping off the card...just gross. But to each his own.
trickyat86
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh, PA
309 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
I agree with your opinion about the people touching items that’s been in someone else’s mouth. Though with this effect, the spectator doesn’t necessarily touch that end of the strings. For example, I have the spectator hand me back the string after each one. Besides with the tension this effects builds, they usually don’t want to be handling the strings anyways.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4607 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Just my opinion...I would not want to pull a string out of someone's mouth. I just think that is repulsive. I saw a Magician pull a card out of his mouth and give the card to the participant....spit dripping off the card...just gross. But to each his own.

Really? A 2 foot long string is getting too close to someone’s mouth?
In your imagination are the germs sliding down the string and jumping onto your hand?
Betcha wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole either. 🤭

This germaphobe thing is getting so bad that future generations aren’t going to want to breathe air that’s already been in someone else’s lungs.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3116 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, rowdymagi5 wrote:

Really? A 2 foot long string is getting too close to someone’s mouth?
In your imagination are the germs sliding down the string and jumping onto your hand?
Betcha wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole either. 🤭

This germaphobe thing is getting so bad that future generations aren’t going to want to breathe air that’s already been in someone else’s lungs.

I'm not a germaphobe, I just prefer not to watch people put things in their mouth and then remove said items as part of their act. My guess is that a good percentage of your audience will probably feel that particular effect is not very classy.
BRMagic
View Profile
New user
NYC
40 Posts

Profile of BRMagic
The effect looks great. I'm curious though, is this hook similar to other hooks sold in tackle shops? Many of which are made of lead or nickel which I understand can be a health concern?
Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hook by Eric Ross (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL