The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bizarre moment at work! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Work," for me, is as a cashier at Wal-Mart. (Yes, it sucks. It has sucked for fifteen years now!)

They have me monitoring the "self check-out" area, which is mostly people asking how they make it work. We've just started restricting people to twenty items or less on self check-out, most people are cool with it, one or two get annoyed, one person got so annoyed, they demanded a manager! Then there was this guy;

He comes up with a full cart and I say; "I'm sorry, sir. Twenty items or less."

GUY: You mean I can't check these out here?

ME: I'm sorry, not if there's more than twenty items.

Guy stares at me for a second, gently pushes the cart away and walks out of the store.

New rules at Wal-Mart, the cashier has to put away the "left behinds" at his/her station! I had a few left-behinds in another cart, now I had an ENTIRE cart to put away.

My first thought was; "that was petty," but thinking about it, I think he'd intended to not scan at least half this stuff and "put one over" on Wal-Mart. (Thanks a lot guy, "shrinkage" is one of the things that determines whether or not we get a bonus each quarter!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Self check-out is not too prevalent yet here in Brooklyn, but it's starting to make some inroads. When I encounter it, there's always a clerk who offers to help me navigate the system. I always say, no thanks, please check me out at the register. As we make our way back to the register, I tell them: I have no intention of helping you put yourself out of a job.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Don’t worry you will soon be replaced by a robot and become a ghost. Amazon has an army of robots at its warehouses to fulfil orders; currently, its robot detail is 45,000 strong resulting in live shopping centres becoming ghost towns.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Reminds me of this funny bit:

ROD MAN AT WALMART:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDRFqd1DxI

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2019, landmark wrote:
Self check-out is not too prevalent yet here in Brooklyn, but it's starting to make some inroads. When I encounter it, there's always a clerk who offers to help me navigate the system. I always say, no thanks, please check me out at the register. As we make our way back to the register, I tell them: I have no intention of helping you put yourself out of a job.

Do you also avoid buying any cars made in large part by robots?
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Ed,
just curious,
but,
is it easy, "to put one over",
on the 'self-check-out-system'?

I know, some shops, over here in Europe,
using 'the system',
simply write-off 10%.

I was in a grocery store, in the Netherlands,
where I didn't have to scan ANYTHING!
As I put the grocerys, in the cart,
there was a "beep".
The cart registered what I had.
At the check-out,...un-manned,
the cart was weighed(!).
I paid and packed!

Supposedly, that system was close to perfect.

A side-thought,..
if the job sucks,..
why not find another?
Seriously curious here.
Is it tough finding 'something better'?
(i'm not being sarcastic,...i'm just a bit out-of-touch.)
Some years ago,
there was a Tom Hanks movie,,..
'Larry Crowne'.
I think he played on this...
(as did,,..'American Beauty'. 🙃)
Wish you well,
gallagher
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2019, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2019, landmark wrote:

Do you also avoid buying any cars made in large part by robots?

What other forms of progress are fought in the name of keeping other people their jobs? And in the end does it help?

How about stop trying to get people paid so much that the company looks for alternatives such as self check out in the first place? That would do more to help keep jobs than what is stated above.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does a robot doctor cost more than a robot magician?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Maybe 'menial labour' could (should?) be replaced,
...with robots.
'Robot tax' enforced.
The 'income', spread amongst the populus,...('consumers'),
in the form of a 'guarenteed income'.

Then, the populus could spend their time,
more meaningfull,...
and the society would prosper,
in more ways then,...'menial'.

Maybe. 🤔
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you also love robot women?

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, gallagher wrote:
Maybe 'menial labour' could (should?) be replaced,
...with robots.
'Robot tax' enforced.
The 'income', spread amongst the populus,...('consumers'),
in the form of a 'guarenteed income'.

Then, the populus could spend their time,
more meaningfull,...
and the society would prosper,
in more ways then,...'menial'.

Maybe. 🤔

Sure. Utopia has worked every time it has been tried.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
"Sure. Utopia has worked every time it has been tried"
(Dannydoyle)
😕

True.
There's not a good track-record...
but it sure has made for some good movie plots! 😊

I don't think it would be so hard to swing.
Population, in the moment,
is only booming where 'menial labour' is still functioning.
Times are changing,
because,
in 'a free world',
....fewer folks want to do it.

Educated peoples are taking over the world.

Fewer folks,..
same production,..
higher quality,..
cheaper,..
the butter for the bread should,..could be,..'more plentifull'.

I don't think it should,..
or 'will be' a 'revolt'.
I think,
it is simply..
could simply,..
happen.
If we don't kill ourselves,..first. 😕
We're on a good way.
gallagher

p.s.: Tommy,...
I was singing THIS,..
in 1971(!). 😄
https://youtu.be/AVZwejaNmbw
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Barbarella in the Excessive Machine didn’t complain.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2019, gallagher wrote:
Hey Ed,
just curious,
but,
is it easy, "to put one over",
on the 'self-check-out-system'?

I know, some shops, over here in Europe,
using 'the system',
simply write-off 10%.

I was in a grocery store, in the Netherlands,
where I didn't have to scan ANYTHING!
As I put the grocerys, in the cart,
there was a "beep".
The cart registered what I had.
At the check-out,...un-manned,
the cart was weighed(!).
I paid and packed!

Supposedly, that system was close to perfect.

A side-thought,..
if the job sucks,..
why not find another?
Seriously curious here.
Is it tough finding 'something better'?
(i'm not being sarcastic,...i'm just a bit out-of-touch.)
Some years ago,
there was a Tom Hanks movie,,..
'Larry Crowne'.
I think he played on this...
(as did,,..'American Beauty'. 🙃)
Wish you well,
gallagher

It's probably easy to rig self-checkout, especially if you have a large cart and can "lose" things in the shuffle!

As far as the job sucking, and finding another... what, exactly? I'm 63 years old. The one seriously marketable skill I had (phototypesetting) is pretty much obsolete with the advent of graphic programs on personal computers. Where would there be an entry level position that wouldn't suck as much or worse?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I knew somebody who became a doctor at 70. An Indian fellow who moved to Norway in is his 60s and started studying as a hobby more or less. His motto was "Hard work is always repaid" or something like that. I know a few fellows who become Gasmen and I think it took them a year studying but they are now on good money. Most people spend most of their time having fun, watching TV etcetera.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
If that was going to be me, I would have started 15 years ago. I was a mediocre student, I don't see that changing.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Not to be snarky, anybody studying medicine at 60 , as a "hobby," is almost certainly Asimov (if not Mozart) level intelligence! I don't think it's fair to hold the world up to that standard.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
He seemed a normal fellow but he was probably well-educated before, as a lot of Indians are. I mention the Gasmen because these fellows were not well educated at all. They all said it was easy.
https://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/pages......AXvD_BwE

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Exactly! Both Asimov and Mozart showed signs of genius long before they became "educated." Me? I showed great signs of literate knowledge. In the first grade, I was reading at a third grade level. They decided to bump me ahead a year, which destroyed me almost completely! Two years I went through that before they decided to hold me back at the fourth grade so I'd be even with everyone else. It didn't help. In high school, they tested me and found I was reading at a college level, but that didn't help in math or science! (Or, for that matter, history/social studies.) I've always been a mediocre student at best.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I'm no genius, but I've never managed to successfully self-check without assistance. It always locks up and I get the red light of shame.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bizarre moment at work! (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL