The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is trick Joshua Jay just did on Masters of Illusion? (68 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2021, MadisonH wrote:
Exactly Gaz. Write your own story about your parents. Fictional or real and now you have a presentation that is unique to you.

Madison

Or better yet, script your own story that has nothing to do with anyone's parents. Read the butterfly effect and and make it your own. Use facts that are 80 percent your own.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
In my opinion, the routine itself is VERY good, presentation is always so important - and it should be YOUR presentation, of course. Concerning the method (which I understand and see straight away, but that's not of any importance) - to be honest - I have mixed feelings, but not so in respect for this specific routine; more if I follow the advertising, suggesting that you have another "tool" or "weapon" in your arsenal. As you do not end up with a deck of cards which a spectator could handle himself after what you have to do... I do not see it as a "tool". Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
I agree Jan. Jan is very eloquent. Read what he said 10 times.

There are weaknesses to all magic tricks and not having a normal deck at the end is not desirable. You do not want to have audience management when the trick is over. You want them to be able to touch the cards.

But if you use your old tools, use the matching card earlier in the presentation. Use the reveal to allow misdirection for your old tools. Use it to explain the butterfly effect. Make it part of the story leading into all 52 cards matching. Now they can handle both decks. And it costs you nothing if you already have those tools. If you don't have those tools, it's much cheaper than the pricetag for this trick and will serve you for many other tricks.

With the classic method, the remaining 51 cards could be counted out (assuming 1 card used for misdirection). I personally prefer the long drawn out presentation. But you have the option to spread the deck at any point to speed it up.

You need to consider these details before buying the new deck at the magic shop.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2021, JanForster wrote:
In my opinion, the routine itself is VERY good, presentation is always so important - and it should be YOUR presentation, of course. Concerning the method (which I understand and see straight away, but that's not of any importance) - to be honest - I have mixed feelings, but not so in respect for this specific routine; more if I follow the advertising, suggesting that you have another "tool" or "weapon" in your arsenal. As you do not end up with a deck of cards which a spectator could handle himself after what you have to do... I do not see it as a "tool". Jan

I believe the “tool” being referred to is the gimmick and not what is left at the end of the routine. The gimmick is certainly a tool that can be used for multiple effects.

Madison
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I see, know and understand... but is it really well usable in other context? Adding t... cards, or just some ordinary... creating a different or gimmicked or thicker deck? A good deck switch leads further then... besides the fact that you could create exact the same routine with a switch, ending clean... I have a precise handling in mind... and can you imagine what fantastic time delay you could achieve if you present the "minor" effect first (the single match of the two cards from the very beginning)... Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
I see, know and understand... but is it really well usable in other context? Adding t... cards, or just some ordinary... creating a different or gimmicked or thicker deck? A good deck switch leads further then... besides the fact that you could create exact the same routine with a switch, ending clean... I have a precise handling in mind... and can you imagine what fantastic time delay you could achieve if you present the "minor" effect first (the single match of the two cards from the very beginning)... Smile ... Jan

A "delay" will only kill the impact of the deck-matching effect. To prevent the notion that the deck was switched (the only solution a non-magician could really conceive of), you need to start dealing their cards without taking the focus off their deck.
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
703 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2021, CardGuyMike wrote:
Does anybody know if Pit Hartling has released this effect? It is awfully similar.

A note regarding this: Pit's routine is the original. An earlier version was included as a performance-only item on his The Little Green Lecture video in 1998 as "The Ultimate Coincidence". Wiles seems to have reconstructed the method and published a one-deck version as "26!", with insufficient crediting, in High Spots (2009). With the cat out of the bag, several versions followed since then. Pit's routine remains unpublished.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
If you do use this, you have two decks in play. Just get rid of the "dirty" one, and continue with the regular deck. Also doesn't have to use the "special" cards.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
... delay is not delay ... I wish you could SEE what I mean and do... I put some further thoughts under "Shuffled not stirred" Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2021, Sam Sandler wrote:
Wish there were closed captions on the review video. those of us that are deaf need the captions.
if the reviewer can change the settings to have captions on that would be appreciated.

thanks

Good point Sam. I'll definitely change the settings.
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2021, MattyMediocrity wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2021, Sam Sandler wrote:
Wish there were closed captions on the review video. those of us that are deaf need the captions.
if the reviewer can change the settings to have captions on that would be appreciated.

thanks

I've just learned something. I would've lost a bet on this. I thought for sure I could enable captioning on any English speaking vid on YouTube... but I'm going to safely assume that you'd probably be aware of that if it were an option 😂

All seems to be working

YouTube has the technology. Seems like something they should be doing... perhaps it has something to do with permissions or privacy?

Anyways, good luck! I'm sure Steve will take care of that if he sees your comment.
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
... delay is not delay ... I wish you could SEE what I mean and do... I put some further thoughts under "Shuffled not stirred" Smile ... Jan

It’s a very good idea!
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2021, Denis Behr wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2021, CardGuyMike wrote:
Does anybody know if Pit Hartling has released this effect? It is awfully similar.

A note regarding this: Pit's routine is the original. An earlier version was included as a performance-only item on his The Little Green Lecture video in 1998 as "The Ultimate Coincidence". Wiles seems to have reconstructed the method and published a one-deck version as "26!", with insufficient crediting, in High Spots (2009). With the cat out of the bag, several versions followed since then. Pit's routine remains unpublished.

Thanks Denis! I was wondering about the background and this is really good info.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
I see, know and understand... but is it really well usable in other context?

Yes it is as proved by his wonderful multiple selection routine which is also explained Smile

Madison
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
I like this faster and more enthusiastic demonstration much better

Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Better demo but he clearly appears to lose some cards or add on as to why put it on the box otherwise.
Here clearly cuts at that point and the bottom card is no longer the real bottom card that’s blatant to me and puts the cards back in order Gaz 😊
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
That’s why you need to put your “big boy trousers on” when doing the moves 😉
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I know the moves and have many effects that use those already and it will fly by layman but it’s not a new idea imo.
There again what is in magic and Josh does it very well indeed as always Gaz 😊
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
747 Posts

Profile of carlwag
I purchased this , it’s a brilliant effect , if you have the bottle to pull of some of the moves which are not hard , add your own storyline. Make it yours , you have a really great effect .

Well done Josh
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I know the moves and have many effects that use those already and it will fly by layman but it’s not a new idea imo.
There again what is in magic and Josh does it very well indeed as always Gaz 😊

It’s like everything and every effect, people also need to realise their regular performing surroundings and when they will actually perform this and where. Unless you are in a kind of parlor setting or a pipe and slippers moment, the reality of this is it will hardly be performed. The majority of time workers due to environments, you will never be in a situation of a environment needed to perform this with deserves the time, attention focus. Plus the fact of you ideally needing a table for the required and also the nice final display value of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is trick Joshua Jay just did on Masters of Illusion? (68 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL