The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double Lift Subtleties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aaron martini
View Profile
New user
Vancouver
46 Posts

Profile of aaron martini
If my deck loses integrity - a few bends, etc - I then put a little motion on my cards to hide double lifts etc

Any other subtleties to hide double lift edges?

Martini
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
By motion, do you mean you keep the card(s) moving so the audience cannot focus on the edges? The first thing that comes to mind is to not use a warped deck in performance, save it for practice. If the cards become that way during performance, then I guess you have to deal with it.

I think attitude matters also. What I mean is your actions should be natural and matter-of-fact and you shouldn't be telegraphing the fact that you are doing a move. I've seen magicians do a DL and leave it presented way too long, almost as though they think spectators are blind. I've seen others perform it in such a way that it invited suspicion.

You are just turning over a card. Not much fascination in that, so don't focus on it and likely they will not either.

To answer your question about subtleties, bending the cards seems to help sometimes. Just putting a little concave bend in them by squeezing the sides inward helps keep them together. Careful not to overdo it because that also looks bad.

When I do a double turnover, my left fingers naturally square the cards and then are turned face up or face down. It is something that just happened over the years, but it keeps them perfectly aligned. The turnover happens smoothly and fairly quickly and there isn't much time to focus on edges anyway. But it doesn't appear rushed either.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
aaron martini
View Profile
New user
Vancouver
46 Posts

Profile of aaron martini
Thanks, that definitely helps - for over 20 years, in my adult show, I have avoided cards because of visual limitations
but a few months ago, I started to put them back in the show.

Martini
aaron martini
View Profile
New user
Vancouver
46 Posts

Profile of aaron martini
As far as putting a slight concave bend is concerned, I often add it to my double fan - it keeps the cards together
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double Lift Subtleties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL