The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm not worthy! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicwiia
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Magic has existed for hundreds or thousands of years. My foray into the world of magic, a few months ago, was trying to learn card tricks. Double Lifts here we go. It's been the pleasure of a lifetime to follow people who are so good at what they do knowing all the while that what they accomplished was through sheer determination.

I'm still at the point where I put in as much time as I can and my progress, while limited for sure, is better than I hoped. So....I ordered a pad to be able to present card tricks to friends and family. It arrived today and hit me like a rock. Here is this beautiful pad from Pattricks (great job) but I don't feel worthy to do tricks on it.

It's akin to a brand-new, line cook wearing a restaurant's jacket for the first time. I wish I never bought it because I do not feel worthy to perform on it. In many ways, it seems there is a noble and esteemed legacy that accompanies it. What little I can do with cards is embarrassing and having a professional's mat like Pattrick's is like buying a set of clubs thinking I can be one be on the PGA.

How do you eclipse the "I'm not worthy" recognition?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2828 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
So if you wanted to learn how to play the guitar, would you buy a cheap one that doesn't stay in tune because you don't feel worthy to have a quality instrument to practice correctly?
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8399 Posts

Profile of funsway
Welcome to the world of magic, a "house of many rooms." Some of these rooms are for learning about yourself and human nature beyond any need "to perform."
There is nothing about "being worthy," but might be about being open to concepts like "audience engagement" and being situationally relevant.

In a semi-joking vein, I would suggest that doing card tricks may have little relationship to "magic" - just as fiddling with a guitar may have little relationship to music.

Regardless of your choice of venue and props, you should never me "embarrassed" with what you can do.
The difference between you and the professional is the number of effects you have mastered, and an understanding of the audience expectations.

If you only perform one effect - make sure you are the best in the world at that that part of the art. Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2226 Posts

Profile of todsky
I don’t think your audience will care whether or not you use a mat. For you it is rife with import; for everyone else it is just a mat to put your cards on.
FLASH SALE: 60% off 1500 items ends August 28th at www.magicstore.ca
www.magicstore.ca
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Signet
This reminds me of my hat. When I first started about 3 years ago, I too was very unsure of myself. I happened to have this cool Fedora hat. My wife suggested I put a card in the band. I wrote my initials on it. They are MGK. I put them in caps and the a and the I lowercase. It really looks good. When I'm wearing it, I look professional. Then I started to worry, maybe it looks too good for a beginner. I never wore it to our magic club for this reason. I didn't want the guys to think I thought I was on the same level as the pros. I get where you're coming from. If you do tricks for laypeople, I don't think they'll care so much. I think you should use it. Having a nice looking prop may give you confidence.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1647 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
In another part of my life, I play bagpipes. Quite a few years ago, when I was still using a loaner instrument, my wife bought me the pipes I really wanted. They have some very ostentatious bling on them (yeah, that’s actually what I wanted - the engraved anthropomorphic critters matched the buckle of my kilt belt) and they just looked and sounded so good I didn’t feel right playing them. I’d also been fortunate enough to get a lovely blackwood chanter (part that makes the melody) with blinged-out sole on it. Fancy pipes.

Now, there is a common statement in the piping world that says beginners shouldn’t play on wood chanters. They should use plastic ones.

My view and experience is that a beginner will play more and with greater pleasure if said beginner has a really nice instrument to play on. It has been nearly 20 years since she bought me those pipes. I play them still with great pleasure. Aside from the pipes I inherited from my mother, there’s no reason to think I’ll ever need or want another set. If I had started with something “appropriate for my level,” I would be looking for another set, long since.

Use the good pad. Love using it. Don’t worry about whether you are “worthy” of it. Just grow into it and let the good equipment inspire you along the way.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm not worthy! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL