The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Devilry or Principia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prahlad
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Hi, I'm interested in both these books. But I can only get one at the moment. Which would you recommend?

I prefer tricks without gaffs though stacks are alright. I don't like performing magic that's flashy but isn't deeply mysterious. This may be a point against Principia since I've seen a lot of one minute magic on YouTube from it. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also interested in the trick that cannot be explained. I'm interested to know whether it adds anything to the chapter in Tangled Web.

Finally, I would like the book to not only teach me more about tricks, but more about principles of magic as well (from the video on Card Devilry it seems that there are several uses of miscalling cards).

If you've read one or both books, I'd be thankful for you feedback and suggestions.
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
34 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
I've only read Principia and I was totally disappointed in it. It contains some interesting ideas, but most of the tricks are not really practical. They usually need some setup including reversed cards, and/or you won't finish clean. Sometimes the presentation itself is shorter than the required setup time. The tricks might look good on YT, but none of them fits into my repertoire.
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Thanks
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Card Devilry is worth your time. His older books are too.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
904 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Both books are well worth your time. Buy one, perform some more gigs, then buy the other! One can never have enough books...
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Thank you
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4591 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Principia all the way for me. I have (and read thru) both. Nothing to do with my decision but Principia was recently named the best selling book at VI since they opened beating out some super contenders. Also, I have not seen more than one or two copies of Principia on the used market where I have seen several copies of both the Johnny Thompson books and The Magic Rainbow. That can only mean the people who buy it, like it enough to keep it.

I would buy Principia for sure.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of magicthree
This was a nice ace production from Principia that I liked

https://youtu.be/mNjo_8VgoiI
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I've read both and I'm very disappointed with Card Devilry, I found the items in it rather weak and don't offer anything new
Principia is interesting although I don't use any of the materials, it does help me with my creative juice flowing
For me, I would invest money somewhere else, something older...
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Thanks everyone for your advice - especially Poof Daddy. I have ordered Card Devilry. I may get Principia in the future. Morris, I'm sorry but I placed my order before you posted your opinion. I should've informed everyone earlier.

Thanks again.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4591 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Since Prahalad ordered it after my PM, I will let you all know if interested. It is on sale at Magicwarehouse for $13 + shipping. now only 9 left
http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin......0DEVILRY

I still stand by my praise of Principia but for the price, you may want to check Card Devilry out.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
I thought I should inform this thread that my copy of Card Devilry arrived yesterday and that I'll try to read it (and finish it) today. So that I can post my opinion on the book soon.

This book (or Principia if I'd gotten it would have anyway been an "add-on" to the three David Regal books I was getting anyway; Close Up and Personal and the Constant Fooling books.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5985 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, magicthree wrote:
This was a nice ace production from Principia that I liked

https://youtu.be/mNjo_8VgoiI

Very cool.
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Thanks Magicfish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Devilry or Principia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL