The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » CSB or 2 Copper 1 Silver (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
For those who perform the CSB effect is there any particular reason that you favour this effect over the 2 copper 1 silver effect ?

Whilst most would say that the Chinese coin adds to the deception as it has a hole I would say using 2 copper coins makes it much easier for the spectator to follow which I think is very important.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You can do ring & string routines w. the ORIENTAL coin before hitting your audience with a really powerful CSB effect.

Julie
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2019, Julie wrote:
You can do ring & string routines w. the ORIENTAL coin before hitting your audience with a really powerful CSB effect.

Julie

Possibly thanks for your input however if I were to do my ring & string routine I would always use a borrowed ring from the spectator as it would have a lot more meaning to the spectator, also I use Troy Hooser's CCC not in the same set obviously so I would prefer not to mix them.

That is a good reason for others choosing CSB over 2 copper 1 silver though Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2019, warren wrote:
Whilst most would say that the Chinese coin adds to the deception as it has a hole I would say using 2 copper coins makes it much easier for the spectator to follow which I think is very important.

They have no problem following with a CSB set. While as you say the hole adds to the deception, it also adds to being able to follow as not only is the color different, it has a hole.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Inigmntoya I've actually seen it where the magician says if I have the half dollar in this hand what do I have in the other and the spectator has struggled with the answer where as simply saying copper or silver solves that problem so I guess it's down to both the spectator and the magician performing the effect.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I think that's more an issue of them knowing what to call them. I refer to them as the two other coins or the two foreign coins.

That said, I don't use the "traditional" routine where you have to ask the spectators where things are - for me it comes across too much like a challenge to prove who's smarter.

Quote:
On Jul 5, 2019, warren wrote:
Inigmntoya I've actually seen it where the magician says if I have the half dollar in this hand what do I have in the other and the spectator has struggled with the answer where as simply saying copper or silver solves that problem so I guess it's down to both the spectator and the magician performing the effect.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
In the "UK" I don't think calling them the 2 foreign coins would work (like Doc Eason's great patter) since one of the copper coins is not foreign for them (at least I think not). However, The way that Mark Mason's CSB set is made, the gimmick configuration makes it about the English Penny and the two foreign coins (WL Half & Chinese Coin).

Personally though, I see no real difference in the two sets (CSB / 2C, 1S). They are very interchangeable with some minor tweaks and some imagination. In the end, it is still 3 different coins, one being silver and 2 are not (however you want to spin that part). I also notice that routines for a 2C, 1S set state in the instructions that you can use a CSB set instead.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Poof,
Mason’s CSB is now Silver edge gaff to show Walking Liberty!
That is on the USA site. Maybe the UK site still leaves it copper and edge.

https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/latest-j-b-pro......oin-line

Blessings
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I read a thread regarding CSB and 2 copper 1 silver and Mike Gallo commented that 2 copper 1 silver was easier to follow in his experience especially if spectators had been drinking.It was also mentioned that John Mendoza had wrote in a book that he thought 2 copper 1 silver was easier for spectators to follow.

As Poof mentioned I can't really use the two foreign coins ploy as I'm British which is one of the reasons why I'm leaning towards the 2 copper 1 silver effect at the moment as it seems to roll off the tongue easier ie I have 2 copper coins and a silver coin, that said I can understand that the Chinese coin would definitely add to the deceptiveness of the effect.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

My personal preference of use:

2C1S is Used if I’m wanting a quick, to the point. “Just keep an eye on the shiny silver coin” I basically use the Paul Green routine from “In the Trenches” DVD, with tweaks for my personality. It works best without going into what each coin and why. Just like a C/S routine it is more about the impact of the color difference; with 2C1S has the added impact of quantity of coins changing too. If lighting is dim or noisy room, I would just do it mostly silently.

CSB is more nuanced and I think it allows more creativity in routining. I play it as “Coins from the around the world” and play up the complete different metal, appearance and feel. I give spectator(s) to look, feel and touch these rarely seen coins. My routine does NOT involve “guessing / you’re wrong” (doesn’t work for my personally).
Without giving too much of mine away (It’s my Baby, LOL) I do play up our senses. Most think “seeing is believing” but touch is rarely fooled...
PhaseI - Spectator Successfully IDs all 3 by “touch only” behind their back or under table.
PhaseII - Magician takes coins 1 by 1 as they ID each coin. Then, proves the EYE can be tricked! (Repeated)
PhaseIII- Spectator takes coins, Magician removes last coin, end with spectator feel and see the magic!
Starts clean / Ends Clean / Auto Reset.

Blessings,
Steph
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2019, Stephon Johnson wrote:
Poof,
Mason’s CSB is now Silver edge gaff to show Walking Liberty!
That is on the USA site. Maybe the UK site still leaves it copper and edge.

https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/latest-j-b-pro......oin-line

Blessings
Steph

I bought mine quite a while back so they must have changed. I do remember someone being able to rub or sand thru the gold to expose the silver underside on the gimmick edge but did not know Mark changed it. Thanks.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have stayed Out of this so far ! But you can do more With a 2 copper 1 silver then a c.s.b. Mostly A c.s.b. is for the change routine ! ( I have come up with a thing or two beside it But not much ! Smile ) Now So the Bad thing about a 2 c./ 1. S. Is the 2 copper coins look too much a Like! So if you are Doing International Stuff They look too much like the same coin ! The Bad Thing About A C.S.B. Is that you Can't show it as just as a brass ( or Chinese ) Coin ! so Then you can't do as much with it ! So I had Todd make me up a Solid C.S.B. Set ! ( that is A solid brass coin , Small copper coin Under it , And a silver coin ! ( I got him to make me one up it Barbar Smile ) As I am combining it With S.O.H. I never Thought I was losing that much by not having a Chinese coin. ( but that maybe just me Smile )And that way I can do lots of outer stuff with the same set ! So anyway that is my 2 Cents !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

David,
I agree your post. it isn’t I am more for the Chinese Coin; rather that I like seeing 3 completely different coins. A Solid CSB does the same thing!
For sure, not having the “hole” (Chinese) gives you MUCH more freedom to display the gaff as either brass OR copper however it helps your routine...That’s mighty powerful to use!

Thanks David!
Steph
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Thanks Steph,
Myself I have always thought If there looking to see how it is done, You have lost them all ready ! Smile but as I have said before that may just be me !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Yep, that’s why I hate the “what’s in this hand now?...NOPE!” It almost challenges them to focus on HOW you did it, rather them having fun!
Good Call!
Steph
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea One Dealer A few Years ago had a patter in his instructions called pay attention !!! Smile Say what !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, Stephon Johnson wrote:
David,
I agree your post. it isn’t I am more for the Chinese Coin; rather that I like seeing 3 completely different coins. A Solid CSB does the same thing!
For sure, not having the “hole” (Chinese) gives you MUCH more freedom to display the gaff as either brass OR copper however it helps your routine...That’s mighty powerful to use!

Thanks David!
Steph

Of course your "favorite" Poker Chip Surprise is at its core, a solid CSB. Smile
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

AND I LOVE IT!!!! Obsessed! 😂
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Obsessed ---- You --- Say it not's so !!! Smile Ha --- Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
My go to set is actually pokerchip surprise. It’s a csb set with poker chips and is super easy to follow. With that being said; my barber set is a csb simply for the fact in low lighting; the Chinese coin is very different than the copper or silver. I’ve found the Chinese coin just allows the spec to follow better
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » CSB or 2 Copper 1 Silver (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL