The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Rest in Peace, Alfred E. Neuman.

Mad Magazine 1952-2019
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is really sad and I have to say not shocking. I mean it has been really hard to do satire in the past few decades. I mean "I didn't inhale" really was the beginning of the end. Then after that it got worse, and worse, and worse. BOTH sides of our political debate are self satire machines!

Plus it is not PC to do satire any more. It simply will be only a few short years and satire will be a hate crime!

It won't be long before SNL is done as well. They have not been funny for decades. They have the same political leaning as the parent company so they are supported, but they will soon be gone as well sadly enough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
I fondly remember SPY vs SPY. Always so clever. And inside back cover...how you folded into thirds to see something new...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
One brilliant bit of marketing that Mad pulled off in like 1974. They left Alfred off the cover, and instead had a big fist with a middle finger sticking up. That issue sold amazingly well and the covers got torn off and ended up inside so many high school lockers. At least in my high school, but I am sure others too, and probably college locker rooms and frat houses as well. How they got away with that in 1974 I have no clue. I had a subscription to Mad back then, and I remember being a bit embarrassed about that cover, at least in front of adults.

I went to high school with the son of the publisher of Mad. He was a jerk (at least then) but occasionally we'd get tidbits about his dad William.

I have not read a Mad in many years, but I will miss the magazine.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

It was their April issue .... yeah that was risky for newsstand sales.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Were they not essentially marketers, who made fun of Madison Avenue: Mad Ave advertising industry?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
No.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Yes, they were not essentially marketers. They were artists and humorists. The magazine from front cover to rear cover fold-art was a comic art variety show. And like the variety shows of old ... it has had it's day. It became nostalgia at the newstand - but we don't have newstands anymore. R. I. P. Mad Magazine.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Yes, they were not essentially marketers. They were artists and humorists. The magazine from front cover to rear cover fold-art was a comic art variety show. And like the variety shows of old ... it has had it's day. It became nostalgia at the newstand - but we don't have newstands anymore. R. I. P. Mad Magazine.
How were they marketers when they didn’t run ads and no they didn’t just pick on Mad Ave.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
One may be an artist and a humourist and use this talent to create artistic humorous posters to market comedy films etcetera, which they did and they also ran adds and nobody said they just picked on Mad Ave and also read what Jon said more carefully.

Tommy
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Remember their 'fold-in',..?
,...in the middle of every magazine?

My happy-est moments, as a child,
was fighting with my father(!),
over who got it first!
,..we usually ended up tearing it in half.

I find what Danny say, to be dead-on.
Sadly.
I often think:
"Folks have been wearing their underpants a bit too tight,
..for a little while now."
(Except for Landmark. He wears boxers.
,....at least on the subway...)

If we maintain OUR roots, our experience,...our skills;
we will be a valuable commodity(!),....
in the for-see-ible future.
Hang on to your stocks!

Alfred, thanks for the laughs.
Jest in peace.
gallagher
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, gallagher wrote:
Remember their 'fold-in',..?
,...in the middle of every magazine?

No, I don't.

I do remember it being on the last page of the magazine (inside the back cover).

Apparently it was in the middle one time. However, and this is important, they published at least two issues.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Times-up for misogyny. MAD is embarrassing.

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
My Dad had a subscription from the 60's - 70's, so I grew up on the mag. In the mid 80's I picked up a copy hoping to start my own subscription but was surprised to see the same filler pieces from back in the 70's & 80's (with current parody topic front and center). I ended up buying a collection of Mad comics paperback books.

One of my favorite comics/cartoon was a man walking outside and being happy when it begins to rain. He dances and sings and talks about how he likes to catch the rain on his tongue. Cut to the next panel on the roof of his building is a bunch of people participating in a spitting contest...
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL