The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Why does everyone sell their bizarre magick? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5191 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
StreetWalkinCheeta...when you reach 50 legitimate posts (posts that actually contribute to the thread), you will access to "Let's make a magic deal," which includes several subsections (props, DVDs etc.), along with "The Banquet Room," which is where a lot of more serious topics are discussed with considerably more frankness. Beware however, these areas of the Café are highly addictive.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2019, Wizard of Oz wrote:
StreetWalkinCheeta...when you reach 50 legitimate posts (posts that actually contribute to the thread), you will access to "Let's make a magic deal," which includes several subsections (props, DVDs etc.), along with "The Banquet Room," which is where a lot of more serious topics are discussed with considerably more frankness. Beware however, these areas of the Café are highly addictive.

Yes they are. See my post on addiction in this thread.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2612 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2019, StreetWalkinCheeta wrote:
Help! Maybe the forum for selling items only opens up to those who have posted “X” amount of times but if not what is the name of that forum? Need my fix, man. Smile

As stated, your first take is correct. You need 50 "meaningful" posts to get into the for sale section.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of topherhester
For me, I’m getting to the point where I rely less on gimmicked props and more on other methods. I’m often doing shows now with a few props. Even bizarre shows. A deck of cards, tarot cards, a notepad, a few small items, a candle. Etc. If every routine had some electronic box or special prop it would seem TOO MUCH like exactly what it is....gimmicked props. I guess our philosophy and theory on magic change as we transition from tricksters to more seasoned performers.

I do still have a few items I’ve had my eye on for years but it’s more about the right time. I’m about to thin my herd some.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2019, topherhester wrote:
For me, I’m getting to the point where I rely less on gimmicked props and more on other methods. I’m often doing shows now with a few props. Even bizarre shows. A deck of cards, tarot cards, a notepad, a few small items, a candle. Etc. If every routine had some electronic box or special prop it would seem TOO MUCH like exactly what it is....gimmicked props. I guess our philosophy and theory on magic change as we transition from tricksters to more seasoned performers.

I do still have a few items I’ve had my eye on for years but it’s more about the right time. I’m about to thin my herd some.

For me the props are more about eye candy for the spectator than gimmicks. An old box, a key, something unusual or fascinating. But now, at my age, it's more about my joy at looking and playing with them than performing with them.
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
845 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2019, Joshua J wrote:
Lots of reasons. But mainly I'm pretty ruthless. I'm not a hoarder or collector of magic props. As is the way with magic from time to time I've had effects where the method wasn't to my taste. But you don't know until you buy. Sometimes the theme just doesn't fit what in mind or suit my main performance situations. I have been buying magic since I was a child and maybe 15 years where I've earned money from performing, though not regularly. I have a handful of polished, high quality effects. From time to time something new may interest me. But more often than not it won't replace my regular pieces. As I've gone on more and more of what I use is me assembling my own effects from a handful of favoured methods. I have some core utility items: pendulums, tarot, cards, a few curios. For example, I have Prof BC cemetery key. It's excellent and relegates me having a desire for another key unless I like the sound of the routine.

Books, on the other hand, I will hoard.

My short response....ditto, ditto, ditto...almost exactly everything stated,....except my few treasure pieces never to be sold include several Prof BC items, Luna full, customized by me package, White Star as I adapted, Fathoms, DITF and a few others items!
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of TomB
I am part of a haunt club. I cannot wait until I get 50 posts to see what's there!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2019, TomB wrote:
I am part of a haunt club. I cannot wait until I get 50 posts to see what's there!

Sometimes you will be disappointed and sometimes you will be ecstatic. Depends what you are looking for.
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
74 Posts

Profile of Josepher
You and me both, TomB. I might even clean out some of crypt. I agree that the more experience you gain the less you need.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, Josepher wrote:
You and me both, TomB. I might even clean out some of crypt. I agree that the more experience you gain the less you need.

Actually, the more you know the dumber you get and the more experience you need.

It is the same in the funeral industry. Got every thing down pat and then ten years later find out you are suppose to make sure they are dead before you embalm them. If I had known that before I had embalmed the night watchman who was sleeping on a gurney it would have been easier to hire another one.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
If you believe that bizarre magick is only about buying more props and leaving them on a shelf... maybe you got it wrong somewhere.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, The Curator wrote:
If you believe that bizarre magick is only about buying more props and leaving them on a shelf... maybe you got it wrong somewhere.

Says the museum curator. Lol
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
AS I scan the for sale section on several websites, the Café' include, there are a lot of magic effects being sold with the description, "Never used", so the trend to buy, not use, and resell is not just the bizarre genre' of magic. How often do we buy an effect to learn how it works and find out it is not for us? Nothing left to do but shelf it or resell it. The advantage of the bizarre props is that they are great to look at and display as well as effective tools of the trade. I hav e some I need to sell and some I wouldn't think about selling, mostly prototypes, artist proofs, and number 1 of limited editions.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
AS I scan the for sale section on several websites, the Café' include, there are a lot of magic effects being sold with the description, "Never used", so the trend to buy, not use, and resell is not just the bizarre genre' of magic. How often do we buy an effect to learn how it works and find out it is not for us? Nothing left to do but shelf it or resell it. The advantage of the bizarre props is that they are great to look at and display as well as effective tools of the trade. I hav e some I need to sell and some I wouldn't think about selling, mostly prototypes, artist proofs, and number 1 of limited editions.

But I never sell any item from the Surnateum, I use them. Smile
And all my "props" are number 1 of limited editions of 1.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, The Curator wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, weepinwil wrote:

But I never sell any item from the Surnateum, I use them. Smile
And all my "props" are number 1 of limited editions of 1.

A lot of mine are #1, artist proof, or prototype also. I would never sell them unless I just had to for some reason. I understand that logic.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
940 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
It maybe that they had to move to an Atlantic Island for their wife’s health and money is getting tight... so they need to sell their Hobbs Box with bell to pay for an X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Video... luckily there’s one in The for sale section here https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=76

:)
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, Tim Dowd wrote:
It maybe that they had to move to an Atlantic Island for their wife’s health and money is getting tight... so they need to sell their Hobbs Box with bell to pay for an X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Video... luckily there’s one in The for sale section here https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=76

:)

And at a good price, might I add.
Josepher
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Josepher
Why sell? One reason is you might realize after purchasing the item it just doesn't fit your character.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3258 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2019, Josepher wrote:
Why sell? One reason is you might realize after purchasing the item it just doesn't fit your character.

Actually, I prefer to trade when possible. You sell it, you spend it, and you have nothing. You trade it, you get it, and you still have something.
Josepher
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Josepher
Agreed. Trading is best. You probably take a loss when you sell, compared to the new price. With a trade the other item is also discounted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Why does everyone sell their bizarre magick? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL