The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Outlaw Effects Deadwood & Pandora/Hobbs (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

UneasierQuill
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of UneasierQuill
Hello,

Recently acquired these props as part of a trade and have some questions.

Deadwood - Looks great and I may put it to use, but... I was mainly after a Hobb's box and the Deadwood Board was just thrown in as part of a bundle. Being as it wasn't my intended prop, if I decide to part ways with it, what would be a fair price? Not a ton of experience with Bizarre props and have no pulse for the market really. Odds are that I keep it, just curious (also, as to whether my barter for it was a decent deal on my end!).

It didn't some with any sort of instruction, but relatively easy to figure the workings (unless I'm missing something and limiting myself!). Overall satisfied with the appearance and application. Seems to be missing a photograph that was meant to be there, but I have some old civil war era tintypes that will fit nicely within as a replacement...

Pandora/Hobbs - Not sure what the proper name of this model is. A Pandora/Hobbs mash-up. Pretty straightforward - seems to be complete. Pleased with this as well. I was mainly looking for a spirit bell, but was scared off of buying a Wenger Bell from the recent reviews here but was able to work my way towards this prop, which I'll likely be more satisfied with in the long run with the added utility functions.. Anyway! I guess I'm looking for fair market value on this as well. No intention of parting ways with it, again - just trying to measure the trade value.

With the business stuff out of the way; I'm pretty new to the bizarre magic scene. I've used some of Paul Voodini's work in the past (which I love), but have basically used zero bizarre magic 'props.' Most of my spook show was mentalism and some story deck work for the most part, but looking to expand on that going forward. I'm planning some stand alone spook shows later in the year, but mainly (as of now anyway..) hoping to partner some bizarre magic with some theater for sort of evening of paranormal entertainment. Working with some local entertainers who do a variety of haunt style shows (Haunted Attractions, Psychic Readings, Tarot, Ghost Hunting, etc) with the plan to do something like a Murder Mystery Dinner followed by say - Voodini's Jack the Ripper seance (or something... just an example) - maybe vice-versa and have the mystery last - ironing the details still. Also working with a Haunted House attraction this fall and hoping to do some work as people enter. The haunt is in an old 7 story school - complete with stage, parlors, etc - plan is to do some spook magic, seance, whatever to alleviate the waiting time for patrons by taking <x amount> of people into a parlor, do an abbreviated show (15-30 minutes) and then rinse-and-repeat. I can likely easily get the 15-30 from the Hobb's Box and some storytelling, but looking for recommendations on bizarre magic to accompany this (or more likely, for the longer stand alone evening of magic), as again, pretty new to bizarre magic and just looking to find some footing.

Recommendations don't necessarily need to be for props. Maybe not even routines. Maybe I'm just looking for general dark side advice! Smile
My entertainment start was basically in balloon sculpture, but have been doing magic (mostly of the comedy variety) for a decade or so... A bit of a leap to the bizarre, but that's probably true for everyone who doesn't start off in this genre..

Thanks..
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3245 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Welcome to the spooky side of magic where it gets just as dark as you want.

Check your PM>
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5174 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Welcome tot he dark side of the moon UneasierQuill!

Those are both excellent props and will offer you a lot of storytelling possibilities. The Deadwood Board is incredible, as it allows you to create a historical saloon theme, which offers you a ton of opportunities to open with card, dice, and poker chip routines of which there are hundreds. Do not sell this prop!!! It is hard to come by, and really versatile with a bit of imagination.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
UneasierQuill
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of UneasierQuill
Thanks for the responses...

No immediate plans to sell either of them. I'd looked at them in the past when I started toying with the idea of bizarre magic, but they were of course, unavailable as I came into the scene after OE had closed shop. I just stumbled into both of them last week by chance. I'd posted one of my flea circuses for sale on a FB group with a mention that I'd be willing to trade for bizarre stuff and a guy who lives a few hours from me had both of these. We wound up swapping even - no idea who got the better deal from a financial perspective; I had about a $1,000 in my circus and looks like each of these sold for around $500 each at the time of production. Deal is done however, so I don't guess it matters how everyone came out Smile We both seem happy enough with the swap...

Looking forward to putting these into play once I work out some scripting. They're loads of fun just screwing around with them in my office, so I can't wait to put a tale or two in place with them. Concidently (@Oz), you're "King me!" story from an old Deadwood thread here was one I'd read when I was looking at this board some time ago - great short script that I enjoyed..
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5174 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, UneasierQuill wrote:
Concidently (@Oz), you're "King me!" story from an old Deadwood thread here was one I'd read when I was looking at this board some time ago - great short script that I enjoyed..

Aw shucks. Thank you.
professortango
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of professortango
Welcome! I moved into Bizarre about 2 years ago with nothing but a spirit bell and the Ripper Seance and it has been a blast. There's a ton of great resources available, but my best advice is find the story you want to tell and then think of what effects would compliment it. Most Bizarre magic works similarly to regular magic, it just has more storytelling and less applause. Once you know what effects you're looking for, its pretty easy to work backwards with magic knowledge to figure out how or to ask the forum.

The great thing is that a talented bizarre performer can excel with nothing but a great script and the right atmosphere. Everything else is icing on the cake.

As far as building a longer show, what I like to do is have a few curiosity items I talk about to build a foundation for the unusual, maybe do an effect with them to establish the evening, then I can go into the meat of my show with a longer narrative or central goal. If I have two rooms available, I do about 15-25 in the gathering area with my artifacts and then move everyone into the main room for a 45-60 minute show. If I'm only using one room, I try and pick opening objects/effects that I can bring back into play for the finale of my main story to bring it full circle.
UneasierQuill
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of UneasierQuill
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2019, professortango wrote:
Welcome! I moved into Bizarre about 2 years ago with nothing but a spirit bell and the Ripper Seance and it has been a blast. There's a ton of great resources available, but my best advice is find the story you want to tell and then think of what effects would compliment it. Most Bizarre magic works similarly to regular magic, it just has more storytelling and less applause. Once you know what effects you're looking for, its pretty easy to work backwards with magic knowledge to figure out how or to ask the forum.

The great thing is that a talented bizarre performer can excel with nothing but a great script and the right atmosphere. Everything else is icing on the cake.

As far as building a longer show, what I like to do is have a few curiosity items I talk about to build a foundation for the unusual, maybe do an effect with them to establish the evening, then I can go into the meat of my show with a longer narrative or central goal. If I have two rooms available, I do about 15-25 in the gathering area with my artifacts and then move everyone into the main room for a 45-60 minute show. If I'm only using one room, I try and pick opening objects/effects that I can bring back into play for the finale of my main story to bring it full circle.

Good idea on utilizing an extra room(s), I'll be in a scenario to do this and will probably run with it. Toyed around with both of these props a bit as I meander towards a script. I have access to an old (late 1800s, with early 1900s additions) school. It's currently an art museum, but they also run some paranormal groups and activities through it sporadically. It's an old building, and like most of them still standing, has some urban legends attached - hoping to try out both of these there at some point. The school is probably a natural fit for the checker board, but playing around with the Hel'dora box a bit. I have some old tintypes and a few of them fit a narrative I'm working on and excited that they're reactive to the 'thing.' Still not sure if these are long term props for me, but I'll keep them a season at least to see how they play out. It may be something I drag out on a regular basis, but I'd hate to tie them up from a performer who would put more miles on them (if they're as uncommon as I'm gathering)..
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5174 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Old school you say? Spirit Slates...Spirit Slates...Spirit Slates. Or, if it's in your budget, this haunted school bell is incredible: https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/cesara......-alonoso
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
The Hob’Dora sold for around $400ish and Deadwood sold for $495 when they were brand new.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3245 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Actually Deadwood sold for $425 plus $20 shipping in 2015 according to the wayback machine.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Weepinwil wait, what? I paid $450 plus shipping for deadwood around 2002 hmmmm..........
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3245 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2019, hypnoman1 wrote:
Weepinwil wait, what? I paid $450 plus shipping for deadwood around 2002 hmmmm..........

Pretty good deal since the Deadwood wasn't created then. In 2002 the biggest selling item on Outlaw was the Outlaw Wallet with your name on it. Of course, no one knew their name was on it until they got it. It was a surprise addition. hummmm me thinks you are pulling my acid vat chain.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Elite user
England
419 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Willie, keep away from the Wayback Machine my friend. Having conducted a lot of research for the Dopps Forum using it I discovered something:

If you travel back to earlier incarnations of both Vic (Gemini) and Dan’s (Lebanon Circle) websites (yeah that music got annoying real quick Dan!) you are able to add items that no longer exist to your shopping cart at the original prices and then purchase them. They are then delivered via a small black van with tinted windows. The occupant never gets out, just places the package on the kerbside. This does always occur when it is dry outside, you are at home and you have just decided to pop out to the local shop for some milk.

If you use the e-mail links to contact Dan or Vic they will respond but seem very confused when you mention items like The Faery Shilling, The BOG or Alice which they say they have never heard of.

Prof BC however seems fully clued in...I suspect he may be a Time Lord!

I also used the future facility and must say that there are some wonders on their way.....! I’ve said too much already I fear The History Monks May be coming for me..............
The average man is not hard to mystify. - Howard Thurston
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3245 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, Bogbadger wrote:
Willie, keep away from the Wayback Machine my friend. Having conducted a lot of research for the Dopps Forum using it I discovered something:

If you travel back to earlier incarnations of both Vic (Gemini) and Dan’s (Lebanon Circle) websites (yeah that music got annoying real quick Dan!) you are able to add items that no longer exist to your shopping cart at the original prices and then purchase them. They are then delivered via a small black van with tinted windows. The occupant never gets out, just places the package on the kerbside. This does always occur when it is dry outside, you are at home and you have just decided to pop out to the local shop for some milk.

If you use the e-mail links to contact Dan or Vic they will respond but seem very confused when you mention items like The Faery Shilling, The BOG or Alice which they say they have never heard of.

I also used the future facility and must say that there are some wonders on their way.....! I’ve said too much already I fear The History Monks May be coming for me..............

Wow Bog, thanks for the heads up. I will try but my addiction to bizarre demons keep driving me there.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5174 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, Bogbadger wrote:

I love this idea, almost sounds like it could be an episode on the new Twighlight Zone.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3245 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I agree.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Outlaw Effects Deadwood & Pandora/Hobbs (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL