The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Brand new here & confused (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Thank you both-i can assure you that I am not trolling in any way but instead have a deep seated unease about this subject. I guess you are both right and I should just stop reading & watching things like this anymore as they just help to contribute to my anxiety & control issues.

best of luck to both of you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well you are choosing to educate yourself according to your own unease as opposed to facts.

You seek out information that bolsters your own viewpoint. Try fact seeking instead of finding what you are already in agreement with.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Remind me, have you ever seen/been to a stage hypnosis show? Where are you located, in the UK? Are you a magician?
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
164 Posts

Profile of jnork
Here there ahimsa42,
Danny and MindPro are giving you sage advice. Take it. Listen to it. Use it. No matter what YOU believe or think, there are certain FACTS about 'hypnosis'. You can argue or disagree as much as you want, but it won't matter. For this thread I am NOT talking about hypnotherapy. Only a hypnosis show.

IMO, seems like you (personally) have issues with being embarrassed or seeing others being embarrassed. Totally fine. You most likely would never volunteer for a show. Perhaps you'd never even attend one. Again, totally fine. While in my show nobody is ever humiliated, they are also never forced to participate. So, even after my pre-talk assuring the audience of that, you'd most likely STILL not volunteer in my show. Totally fine.

People in hypnosis cannot do things against their moral, ethical or religious beliefs in hypnosis IF THEY DON'T WANT TO DO IT. Read that last sentence again. Then when you're done, read it one more time. We, as hypnotists, give suggestions. They are suggestions. We guide, suggest and conduct, on stage, to our 'orchestra' (our volunteers)in a show that is meant to be entertaining and fun (sometimes educational).

In regards to memory or memory loss here's what I found:
Some people think that in hypnosis they remember everything. After my show, I've found they remember everything that happened on stage.
Some people think that in hypnosis they remember nothing. After my show, I've found they remember very little/nothing that happened on stage.
Some people think that in hypnosis they remember some things, don't remember others, and that they go in and out of 'memory' while in trance. After my show, I've found they remember some things and don't remember others.

It becomes your job to educate yourself. To find the right mentor/instructor for you. But you must separate the 'sales pitch' and marketing from what actually happens. Like has been suggested above, if you think it's 'too good to be true' it probably is. Call out that instructor much like noted above. Give that challenge of $10K if they make someone that you point to steal a TV while in 'hypnosis' and you'll find out really quick they won't take you up on that offer.

What you may be missing here is that we are doing this as 'entertainment' and it's our job to deliver a fun show.
YOU choose if you want it X-Rated or clean.
YOU suggest to your volunteeers to hump chairs or drive a car.
YOU suggest to your volunteers if you want to give them orgasms or make them laugh.
Just because you suggest the above to your audience, it STILL doesn't mean they'll do it. One person may have an issue with an orgasm yet be totally fine with chair humping. One may be fine with doing it all, or none. That's where the training comes in. You find the best out of your audience for your show and deliver the show that fits you the best.

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Also, in reality, YOU can choose if they remember everything or not too. Nice post jnork.
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well you are choosing to educate yourself according to your own unease as opposed to facts.

You seek out information that bolsters your own viewpoint. Try fact seeking instead of finding what you are already in agreement with.


perhaps you are correct. I thought I was seeking facts but seem to be drawn to the "dark" side so to speak. this also is likely fear based.
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Remind me, have you ever seen/been to a stage hypnosis show? Where are you located, in the UK? Are you a magician?


i have never attended one in person and I think the next post by jnork is spot on about why I likely would not ever do so. I am located near Chicago and have attended a few seminar's in the area. I am planning on going to an upcoming self hypnosis class in August being held by Lewis Dark who is a local stage hypnotist. not a magician either-just very interested in this subject and the human mind & have been for a very long time. it is only now that I am attempting to educate myself about it (although apparently failing miserably by all accounts).
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, jnork wrote:
Here there ahimsa42,
Danny and MindPro are giving you sage advice. Take it. Listen to it. Use it. No matter what YOU believe or think, there are certain FACTS about 'hypnosis'. You can argue or disagree as much as you want, but it won't matter. For this thread I am NOT talking about hypnotherapy. Only a hypnosis show.

IMO, seems like you (personally) have issues with being embarrassed or seeing others being embarrassed. Totally fine. You most likely would never volunteer for a show. Perhaps you'd never even attend one. Again, totally fine. While in my show nobody is ever humiliated, they are also never forced to participate. So, even after my pre-talk assuring the audience of that, you'd most likely STILL not volunteer in my show. Totally fine.

People in hypnosis cannot do things against their moral, ethical or religious beliefs in hypnosis IF THEY DON'T WANT TO DO IT. Read that last sentence again. Then when you're done, read it one more time. We, as hypnotists, give suggestions. They are suggestions. We guide, suggest and conduct, on stage, to our 'orchestra' (our volunteers)in a show that is meant to be entertaining and fun (sometimes educational).


Jason


you are very accurate here Jason. I do have a fear not only of being embarrassed or humiliated but also watching others who appear to be. in addition, the idea of not being able to think or act logically or to be in an irrational state-even for a short period of time-is another phobia of mine. perhaps my fear itself is irrational and I am projecting my feelings on the willing subjects in the video's I have seen but the idea of not being able to count, move my body, remember my own name or recognize a friend or family member is to me embarrassing & humiliating instead of being entertaining. it may be a fear of being weak & vulnerable which is at the root of these issues.

again, I am not arguing as I don't have any experience and know very little about the subject other than what I have read and since it was said that 95% of that is BS, perhaps that is next to nothing. regardless, I greatly appreciate your & everyone's else's time an input.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing the self-hypnosis course may not be that helpful to you and may disappoint and confuse you even more. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after doing so.

I do agree you should come to terms with your own issues and concerns and not try to put them onto hypnosis itself. Self-eduction of hypnosis is about the same as self-education to brain surgery. Stick to actual training, especially before getting into specific areas of hypnosis (self-hypnosis, therapeutic, labor/childbirth, pain control, phobias, etc.) Best of luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suggest you stop projecting your irrational fears on others.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
...but will he accept the suggestion. You can not make one do anything they are not willing to do, lol.
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing the self-hypnosis course may not be that helpful to you and may disappoint and confuse you even more. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after doing so.

I do agree you should come to terms with your own issues and concerns and not try to put them onto hypnosis itself. Self-eduction of hypnosis is about the same as self-education to brain surgery. Stick to actual training, especially before getting into specific areas of hypnosis (self-hypnosis, therapeutic, labor/childbirth, pain control, phobias, etc.) Best of luck!


thank you-i will certainly let you know how it goes. guess I just don't get why someone would want to experience such an altered state of consciousness as entertainment.

btw, why do you think a course like that would not be productive? I doubt it would trigger any control issues for me not having to interact directly with someone else's suggestions.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You're not trying to understand hypnosis. You are trying to understand other people's motivation. You are looking in the wrong place and getting scared.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You're not trying to understand hypnosis. You are trying to understand other people's motivation. You are looking in the wrong place and getting scared.


i guess I don't understand the difference since hypnosis is supposed to be something one does to themselves rather than something which is done to them would not that make them the same thing? for example, take a person forgetting their own name or a number. they obviously know these things and could say them if they wanted to so are they just pretending or are they lying to themselves? the same with people not being able to move their legs to pick up a $20 bill which they are told they can keep if they reach it. if it is voluntary, I don't get the idea of wanting to be like this or any possible benefit from being so.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, ahimsa42 wrote:
thank you-i will certainly let you know how it goes. guess I just don't get why someone would want to experience such an altered state of consciousness as entertainment.

btw, why do you think a course like that would not be productive?


Like Headhacking, Lewis Dark is also out of the business as well. Again, you are reading too much online. Self-hypnosis won't help you or any of the issues you are having. You will feel unfulfilled and not get the answers you are seeking because you will not be learning about actual hypnosis. This is just another budget-priced weekend course that we've warned you about.

You don't realize it yet but those you are listening to aren't who you should be training with. Like magic, there are a ton of "magicians that rarely perform in the real world, but just continue to attend, appear and hangout at magic conventions, clubs, and around other wannabe magicians. The very same is true with hypnosis. While I don't know this guy personally, I too am from Chicago and was quite successful there with both my show, as well as my agencies and production companies for 25 years before moving to Las Vegas. I'm guessing this guy is in with the hypnosis convention crowd, which would red flag me immediately. The Mid-America Hypnosis Conference is filled with these kinds of guys. It is a convention hosted by a producer designed to make money off other hypnotists. Mostly clinical guys, enthusiasts and even a few clinical guys that attempt to lecture on entertainment hypnosis (which I have already given you the understanding of that). It's supposedly for learning new approaches, techniques, and scripts. These people/crowd and such events are not what you need or should be looking for. There's much more I could say, but won't. It's like Reality Is Plastic live. I wouldn't be surprised if the HH guys are guests there, as they too are part of this convention/lecture crowd.

I've trained hypnotists for years and still do in the Chicago area, but to be honest, wouldn't accept you because of all of your preconceived perceptions and hangups. It would present your progress or success. These would need to be dealt with first. You are thinking and operating from your own uninformed, misinformed opinions, not from within those of the industry (the first rule of business or education). Your own uninformed, uneducated thoughts are the last thing you should be listening to if seriously interested in learning the science of hypnosis. Only once you have the proper knowledge and education should you then allow your personal beliefs or preferences enter into the equation because then you will be educated with the proper tools to address them properly. Now they are preventing you from your progress and education. It would be like a new student in school thinking they know better than the teacher before ever learning anything.

If you want to seriously educate yourself, strop accepting this low hanging fruit and save until you can get some real training. I will be happy to provide you some resources by PM.

You are becoming your own worst enemy. We see it here all the time, guys that turn to the internet for what they think is education. As Danny said, you are exactly who these guys are targeting and you are buying into all of their marketing and hype.

Real professional, working hypnotists don't touch this nonsense with a ten-foot pole.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2019, ahimsa42 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You're not trying to understand hypnosis. You are trying to understand other people's motivation. You are looking in the wrong place and getting scared.


i guess I don't understand the difference since hypnosis is supposed to be something one does to themselves rather than something which is done to them would not that make them the same thing?


No, again this is wrong. One doesn't do it to themselves, they allow it to occur. They do their part or role in the process. Again, you are taking what you read and creating your own context. That's what they mean when you hear them say all hypnosis is self-hypnosis. All it means is you are in control, you must allow it to happen. You have to be willing to allow your role in the process. You must be willing to accept the suggestion. You = Self. If not, the greatest hypnotists on earth won't be able to hypnotize you.

Only then, once you have allowed yourself to accept your role and allow yourself to accept suggestion, THEN you can provide yourself with your own suggestions (self-hypnosis). (There I just save dyou the $50-$100 of the course you were going to take.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea this is me giving up. He is a troll plain and simple. Nobody could possibly be that ignorant. He has an agenda and is pushing it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ahimsa42
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ahimsa42
Thanks Mindpro. the seminar I mentioned is only $35 but I think you have talked me out of going. I would be interested in the resources you offered to send me via PM. I can assure you that despite Danny's opinion to the contrary, I am not in any way a troll. I don't even know what kind of agenda could be achieved by simply asking questions.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are not trolling why won't you accept information given to you? You keep pouring forth this ridiculous agenda or just belief that is wrong.

If you are not a troll and the very idea odd someone willfully embarrassing themselves bothers you SO much then reality TV must have you curled up in a fetal position crying. Or is it just when you perceive it happening in a hypnosis show that gets to you?

Facebook and You Tube must really cause you fits with everyone embarrassing themselves in front of potentially billions huh?

But no you reserve your problem for only hypnosis shows, which brings me to my troll conclusion.

If not then it is possible you have issues that can not be solved by anyone here.

You accept the most ridiculous nonsense ad if it were somehow fact and try to refute absolute fact with urban legend and nonsense. It is incredible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
The words of wisdom shared by both Mindpro and Dannydoyle is probably what's covered in the first 5 or 6 hours of a live hypnosis course. What hypnosis is and isn't. Dispelling the myths propagated by those that have an agenda, either to make a fast buck on unknowing persons or instill fear on those that are a part of a religious congregation.

To both Danny and Mindpro, thank you for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Brand new here & confused (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL