The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Help with reference for a cups and balls move, please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Gentlemen,

I have seen a few cups and balls workers use a move for which I'm hoping to get a reference for, and to start learning. During a ball penetrating through a single cup sequence, the move involves stacking the remaining two cups over the tabled cup (which has a ball nested on top)in preparation for revealing that the ball has penetrated under the lowermost cup.

But during this stacking process, the magician performs a sort of fast click or "galloping post move" (as the two stacking cups are being placed over the tabled cup) on the ball nesting on top of the tabled cup. What this accomplishes is to actually load the nested ball under the uppermost cup (above the second cup in a three cup stack) once the cups are fully stacked over the tabled cup. The magician can now cleanly lift two cups above the tabled cup as a convincer that the ball has actually vanished from its original position on top of the tabled cup.

I know a chop cup can accomplish this, but the chop in my combo cups has lost considerable attraction for the ball. And I'd love to duplicate moves that can be accomplished with a chop cup, within my cups and balls routine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much guys!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Sounds like Cellini's elevator move published in The Close-Up Magic of Frank Garcia vol 1.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8402 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is a sequence that I practiced some but never perfected (hand disabilities) than might accomplish what you wish.

1) second ball placed on top of tabled cup covering one ball
2) the two remaining cups are displayed empty and clinked together
3) with a swooping flourish, the left cup is placed over the ball and bottom cup
4) the right cup is flipped into the air to be caught and placed over the two nested cups
5) a tap of the wand and the two cups are lifted to reveal "no ball" and the middle cup casually displayed as empty
6) bottom cup lifted to reveal the penetration
7) the cups are re-stacked and a third ball smacked on the top cup
8) top cup lifted to show single penetration, then replaced. Another smack.
9) two cup stack lifted to reveal the further penetration
10) both replaced to complete the stack. Another smack.
11) three cups lifted to reveal all three balls on the table after a final stepped penetration
12) all three cups set mouth to the front on the table - all empty

I felt that this stepped penetration was effective and unique, but never had a chance to get audience feedback.
If interested in techniques/sleights contact me eversway@yahoo.com and I'll dig out the notes

normal cups and ball - no Chop
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Thanks so much for your support, gentlemen!

RiffRaff, I’ve gathered an extensive library over the years, but I don’t have that Garcia tome in my library. Thanks so much for pointing me towards that reference! I’ll check to see if Andy Gregret has it for sale in his collection.

Funsway, I appreciate you taking the time to write out your sequence with the move! I will work through it with the cups in my hands. I appreciate you both!
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
734 Posts

Profile of 61magic
This sounds like a move which could be done using Morrissey cups and similarly designed cups. The ball to be "penetrated" is placed on top of the already loaded cup. Another cup is placed on top of the cup with the ball.
The upper cup is removed using a tilting action causing the ball to fall into the cup unseen creating the illusion the ball have vanished (also loading the cup for the next move), the ball is shown under the bottom cup to prove the ball penetrated the cup.
This is a little hard to describe in print and you would need to try it until you get the idea on how to execute it.
There are tons of books and video showing just about every move known so invest in a few for reference.
Good luck.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Thanks so much for your encouragement 61magic!

I’m enjoying reading all the literature available for cups and balls as work diligently to come up with a routine of my own, based on favorite personal moves from the masters! I’m using a set of cups from Johnson products, but unfortunately, a weak chop cup gimmick has forced me to duplicate chop cup moves using sleight of hand techniques instead. Specifically, I would love to duplicate Ricky Jay’s “shell game” sequence using chop cup convincers. It’s particularly brilliant! Thanks again!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of BCS
Littlethumb,

Try contacting Johnson Products, they are pretty good at replacing defective items. They replaced a broken coin shell for me that was 20 years old... they are good people.

You might want to try a new gaffed ball, I would recommend RNT2:

Good luck... take care,
Bruce
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Thanks Bruce!

That’s great advice. RNT balls were the first balls I tried, as replacement balls, with the Johnson Chop Cup, since they are adjustable using a pin. Unfortunately, I still had difficulties with the cup. I bought a regular set of Johnson cups from a seller here on the Café for a great price, and he was generous enough to Send the additional chop cup for free, I didn’t think Johnson would replace previously used items but I’m encouraged by your experiences! As an alternative, I’m considering buying a small disk of the thing that makes a chop cup work and fixing it to the cup. However, correct strength would be a challenge and I wouldn’t be able to hand out the cups. Still, it may be a small price to pay to do a very visual monte/shell sequence in my routine, I appreciate your comments Bruce!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of BCS
Littlethumb,

I would still reach out to Johnson... the worst thing is they could say no. That is strange that the RNT2 ball did not work for you; I have yet to find a Chop Cup that they don’t work with. I just hate to see you ruin the Cup with your modification.

Take care,
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Help with reference for a cups and balls move, please! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL