The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshP06
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
I recently bought Darwin Ortiz's books "Strong Magic" and "Designing Miracles". Are these good books for a beginning magician? I read on this site and others that they are good books on how to perform in front of people, creating good effects, etc. Let me know! Thanks.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1004 Posts

Profile of mlippo
These are great books, JoshP06!

To reply to your question, they may be hard to read from cover to cover AND fully understand them, if you're a beginner in magic.
I think you need to go out there and perform first, makes some inevitable mistakes and then go back to them, strong of some "on the field" experience. And you need to see other magicians, both good and bad, perform in order to understand what makes them good or bad.

Then every now and then, go back to the books and your understanding will increase with every reading ...

Mind you, that what Ortiz writes ain't no dogma. You are free to disagree with him on some points. You need to "filter" his word through your experience, your situations and yourself.

In the other thread you opened I also recommended two more books on magic theory which are worth every penny ...

Have fun!
Mark
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1230 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
They are great books for *any* magician!

I wouldn't recommend Strong Magic for a complete beginner though. Ortiz often uses examples of classic card tricks to make his points, and the examples wouldn't make any sense to you if you're not familiar with them. I'd suggest first getting some experience in mastering the fundamentals of card magic.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
JoshP06
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Okay, thank you for your feedback.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL