The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Heckler Stoppers When You Can't Walk Away (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of Josepher
In rare cases,
Firmly ask the intruder to 'relax and enjoy the miracles I have prepared for you, I'll be happy to discuss your questions after my presentation'.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I once did the following just to try it out (can‘t remember where I learned this from, this is not original to me): You give a deck to the heckler and tell him to walk off into a corner, shuffle the deck and then pick a card and wait until someone from the group brings him back. As soon as the heckler walks off you bring out a second deck and finish your set.

It works. But it‘s not nice and you really have to pick your battles.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
743 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Say, “I don’t want to steal the show from you, man. I love watching magic, too.” Then hand him the deck. He will shut up very fast or do something simple, be pacified by the audience, and you can go on with your performance.

You’re performing for more than just one insecure dude trying to challenge you, right? Focus on the people who are there for the right reasons. Sometimes the heckler type is unavoidable, but if it happens often - film yourself performing to see what triggers that personality type.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19621 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wouldn't go the route of directly challenging them. Why give up control of the show in that fashion?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Direct challenges are a very risky move, notably because as Danny said, you're giving up control of your show entirely.

On top of that - you're teaching the audience that if they pester you, you'll immediately give into them. Shooting yourself in the foot, that is.

Also, what happens when you hand that deck to someone who's more entertaining than you? What happens when they don't give it back? What happens when they decide to throw it across the room to be a jerk?

And lastly - giving a direct challenge to someone in the audience is a direct challenge to the entire audience, vicariously. So if you're a jerk to that one, others in the audience will believe you're just a jerk.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Danny knows what he is talking about. Throughout this thread he has made valid points/suggestions regarding the scenario that the OP presented. The fact that so many magicians discuss performing scenarios and the infinite hypothetical situations which can result from a unplanned moment may account for the tiny percentage of magicians who simply go out and PERFORM!
Lessons are best learned from experience and not through chit-chatting about the best way to do this or that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19621 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
Direct challenges are a very risky move, notably because as Danny said, you're giving up control of your show entirely.

On top of that - you're teaching the audience that if they pester you, you'll immediately give into them. Shooting yourself in the foot, that is.

Also, what happens when you hand that deck to someone who's more entertaining than you? What happens when they don't give it back? What happens when they decide to throw it across the room to be a jerk?

And lastly - giving a direct challenge to someone in the audience is a direct challenge to the entire audience, vicariously. So if you're a jerk to that one, others in the audience will believe you're just a jerk.

What he said.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
743 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Let’s not forget OP said, “Imagine the situation, your being paid to perform and you get called over to perform something for a certain person only to discover this person is the spectator from hell, now remember your being paid well, you've been asked to show this person something perhaps from the host so what do you do ?”

In a parlor or more formal setting I’d agree with Chris, Pepper, and Danny. However, in a strolling situation, asking them to show everyone something real quick will put an end to heckling very fast. It doesn’t have to be in a snide tone or sarcastic delivery.

If that’s not true, what do you fellas suggest in this situation?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19621 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
We have all said. Even in fantasy land I would not give them the deck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19621 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don Alan shows a clip of him on a TV show with Henny Youngman. Henny is bringing the show where Don doesn't want it to go. Don just sits and waits until he is done. Shut him right away.

Getting into a back and forth with a spectator has no upside. Even in fantasy land where you somehow must perform for them in the end you look like a jerk.

Engaging them is not the move. You have changed your show to suit them.

In reality these situations simply do notoccur that often. Usually the rest of the group takes care of it for you.

Also the idea of saying "relaz ans enjoy the miracles I have planned for you" really isn't going to help in the long run. First if all using the word miracles to describe card tricks to laymen is red meat for a heckler! Second it engages them which is exactly what they want. If a guy really is busting your chops and you pull out that line, if he is THAT guy them that line is not going to be helpful in the least.

Don't engage. Can't go wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1622 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Use "heckler stoppers" in a restaurant and you want have to move away. Your boss will have you moved.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1552 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2019, peppermeat2000 wrote:
Danny knows what he is talking about. Throughout this thread he has made valid points/suggestions regarding the scenario that the OP presented. The fact that so many magicians discuss performing scenarios and the infinite hypothetical situations which can result from a unplanned moment may account for the tiny percentage of magicians who simply go out and PERFORM!
Lessons are best learned from experience and not through chit-chatting about the best way to do this or that.

Danny's input is always worth the read.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3164 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2019, peppermeat2000 wrote:

For the record I do plenty of actual paid gigs but having read other posts from magicians who have encountered this situation I thought this thread might be helpful for others hence the chit-chatting as you put it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13347 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Don Alan shows a clip of him on a TV show with Henny Youngman. Henny is bringing the show where Don doesn't want it to go. Don just sits and waits until he is done. Shut him right away.

Getting into a back and forth with a spectator has no upside. Even in fantasy land where you somehow must perform for them in the end you look like a jerk.

Engaging them is not the move. You have changed your show to suit them.

In reality these situations simply do notoccur that often. Usually the rest of the group takes care of it for you.

Also the idea of saying "relaz ans enjoy the miracles I have planned for you" really isn't going to help in the long run. First if all using the word miracles to describe card tricks to laymen is red meat for a heckler! Second it engages them which is exactly what they want. If a guy really is busting your chops and you pull out that line, if he is THAT guy them that line is not going to be helpful in the least.

Don't engage. Can't go wrong.

"Yep" to all this.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1429 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Ive just started performing walk around for pay. For years Ive read how some people don't like magic and couldn't believe it.... but then I learned. I once tried to "show" someone they must like magic and it went terrible.

Now I begin by introducing myself and getting everyones names. I ask permission to show them something. Then I perform something quick and visual with multiple phases. The first phase requires nothing of the spectators but is flashy. This lets me gauge reactions and lets them know by ability level. Then I move to phase two. It requires minimal help from a single member but is stronger than phase 1. This lets me gauge their willingness to both play along and volunteer. Then I end with phase three which is super stong but requires nothing of them, except their attention. This allows me the opportunity to disengage if we don't work well together, no harm no foul, or offer to perform more magic. All of this takes less than 2 minutes.

This has worked well for me so far. Im able to guage my potential audience and plan my attack. Sometimes I don't make it past introducing myself, and that is ok. Ive learned to take rejection. Heck every once in a great while they will see me performing for others and their enjoyment. This prompts them to call me over and ask if my offers still good.

Ok that's only happened once but it was cool
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19621 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Odd how I've been saying much of this for over a decade and you sort of argued with me about it.

I am happy to hear you have reached a point where it is easier for you to get and accept the results you seek.

Everyone has their own methods and yours sounds very well thought out and effective. It is a great idea. I bet as you hone it that it will be even more effective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1552 Posts

Profile of 252life
Danny, the more experience I acquire the more I appreciate your input on these boards Smile

-Theodore Annemann
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8332 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! The voice of experience!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1552 Posts

Profile of 252life
It’s true huh? I used to read his posts with an arrogant ear.
But that changed with some miles under my belt.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Heckler Stoppers When You Can't Walk Away (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL