The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Heckler Stoppers When You Can't Walk Away (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19762 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Danny I cant remember yesterday, let alone before that. However, I know your right. Ive matured over the years. As have you. I recognize the wisdom in your words. There are still things I will disagree with but that is ok.

I respect disagreement. No problem! Seriously. I mean I would NEVER use the method you speak of, YET I can easily see it working! We disagree, but you are right and I am right. LOVELY world we live in isn't it?

My problem over the years in general is the "theoretical experts". Guys with no practical experience, guys who think Google is a substitute for experience and IQ. THEN they want to argue. At that point I get frustrated. That sort of disagreement is just not intelligent. It is ego drive. (NOT accusing anyone, just saying.)

Also I think Dick and I are part of that generation caught between the world of the internet, and the world of reality. At some point at Magic Inc. if you had a theory and spouted it off and just blathered on about it about say a card trick, SOMEONE eventually was going to slam a deck down on the counter and say "show us". You put up or ya shut up. THAT was the way things were.

With the internet and Google experts that sort of check and balance between reality and bloviating simply does not exist. When it does exist it is some guy in his mom's basement with bed sheets to frame a stage as a curtain on YouTube! It is ridiculous.

Information about these things used to be a treasure hunt of sorts. You had to find the guy who had it first, then had to hope he would help you. I am not saying it is better or worse. Life moves along and that is the way it goes. Adapt or die! So I am not yearning for the bygone era! Not in the least. Just explaining a bit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19762 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, 252life wrote:
Danny, the more experience I acquire the more I appreciate your input on these boards Smile

You sir are very kind. STOP IT! (Most would add an emogie here but I refuse.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1696 Posts

Profile of 252life
Imagine the brains you’d break if you started using emojis.
It would almost be worth it!

And Ok, but the sentiment remains Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1696 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Danny I cant remember yesterday, let alone before that. However, I know your right. Ive matured over the years. As have you. I recognize the wisdom in your words. There are still things I will disagree with but that is ok.

I respect disagreement. No problem! Seriously. I mean I would NEVER use the method you speak of, YET I can easily see it working! We disagree, but you are right and I am right. LOVELY world we live in isn't it?

My problem over the years in general is the "theoretical experts". Guys with no practical experience, guys who think Google is a substitute for experience and IQ. THEN they want to argue. At that point I get frustrated. That sort of disagreement is just not intelligent. It is ego drive. (NOT accusing anyone, just saying.)

Also I think Dick and I are part of that generation caught between the world of the internet, and the world of reality. At some point at Magic Inc. if you had a theory and spouted it off and just blathered on about it about say a card trick, SOMEONE eventually was going to slam a deck down on the counter and say "show us". You put up or ya shut up. THAT was the way things were.

With the internet and Google experts that sort of check and balance between reality and bloviating simply does not exist. When it does exist it is some guy in his mom's basement with bed sheets to frame a stage as a curtain on YouTube! It is ridiculous.

Information about these things used to be a treasure hunt of sorts. You had to find the guy who had it first, then had to hope he would help you. I am not saying it is better or worse. Life moves along and that is the way it goes. Adapt or die! So I am not yearning for the bygone era! Not in the least. Just explaining a bit.

Indeed

-Theodore Annemann
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19762 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, 252life wrote:
It’s true huh? I used to read his posts with an arrogant ear.
But that changed with some miles under my belt.

It is funny you should use the phrase "read his posts with an arrogant ear". It is brilliant.

I have contended for a LONG time now that all tone in internet communication is added by the reader. I mean maybe not ALL but certainly a huge percentage of it. In particular if you are young and don't like being told you might not know something it can start on a bad foot. (Often ego drops off as we get older. At least it did with me.) So now you are reading with that tone in your head of being a bit put off in the first place. So you add that to the text. (As you said reading with that "ear".)

It is the only bad thing I can really say about the dissemination of information through text and written word. Especially when broken down in to small posts like this. Now if you add to this a guy who has a habit of being a bit sarcastic and has no real filter for things that he says, much less types, you have a recipe for misinterpretation. So that happens once or twice and suddenly an entire world view of this person is gained in the mind of the reader. After all I have read a LOT of posts and they all come across like that!

Also there is one of my favorite quotes often attributed to Mark Twain, but the first attribution to him of this quote was 5 years after he dies. I like to think he said it, but unfortunately probably not.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

Funny how life seems to be the same even from 1915!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1696 Posts

Profile of 252life
All true again.
When I started breaking down how I processed information it was humbling.
Habits die hard. But, these days I have a few rules I try and be aware of as starting points.
1) try giving the other person the benefit of the doubt.
2) listen to the actual words and ask questions when necessary.
3) breathe

Obvious stuff to most people maybe, but a constant work in progress here.

-Theodore Annemann
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19762 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Those are great poinrs to keep in mind when reading posted material.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1696 Posts

Profile of 252life
Point taken lol

-Theodore Annemann
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3238 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks everyone for all the input, hopefully some of the less experienced performers will get something out of this thread as there are some great ideas along with plenty of do's and don'ts on how to handle this rare situation Smile
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1652 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Dr.Q had a good out.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1656 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Have come across this problem only a few times at gigs, I make a living performing in the corporate market & I agree so much with
Dannys original comment, you can tell in a few seconds if the heckler is really annoying, Be professional.dont argue with them,finish up & move on,
normally after 1 quick effect. Theres a room of 200 people,have fun with groups that enjoy what your doing.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1696 Posts

Profile of 252life
At this point I think I prefer an intentional heckler over a sloppy drunk lol

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Heckler Stoppers When You Can't Walk Away (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL