The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sore hands. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kong
View Profile
New user
UK
34 Posts

Profile of Kong
Over the last couple of weeks I've started studying coin moves and I've been practicing in earnest in front of a mirror for about 2-3 hours most evenings. I really enjoy it and it's paying off (my Eaton's Spellbound is now very nearly there) but I have one problem: my hands ache, especially my thumbs.

What should I do? Is it best to work through the soreness or rest for a few days? Is there something I can do to prevent it happening?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers!
JoshP06
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Hello King Kong! Just kidding haha.

In all seriousness, it really depends on how sore your hands are. In my opinion, I would take a few days off. Basically, you are giving your hands a workout, which means small tears in the muscle. It's the same thing if you work out and lift weights. There really isn't anything you can do. Your hands just need to build up their dexterity. Eventually, your hands won't get sore as often.

The same thing happens with me when I begin to learn a new sleight/shuffle etc. since I work with cards. It's all part of the journey!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2828 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
You are using muscles / tendons / ligaments that aren't used to your newish demands on them.
Yes, give your hands a rest and slowly go back to practicing. Pain is your body telling you to take it easy. Over time your hands will compensate the demands on them and recover depending on your age.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Kong
View Profile
New user
UK
34 Posts

Profile of Kong
Thanks guys, I'll cut it down to 30 mins for a few nights and see if that helps. Do any of you do finger stretching before and/or after a practice session?

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, JoshP06 wrote:
Hello King Kong!...

Them were the days. "You have to stop climbing the palace tower!", they said. Abdication hit hard but I'm not bitter.
Kong
View Profile
New user
UK
34 Posts

Profile of Kong
The hands are better today, the rest seems to be doing the trick.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8167 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Short practice sessions, frequently, for me were the most helpful, when I was first learning (in the '40s and '50s.

PRACTICE IMPROVES SKILLS......REHEARSAL IMPROVES PERFORMANCE!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kong
View Profile
New user
UK
34 Posts

Profile of Kong
Good advice there, cheers Dick.

Funnily enough I've been trying to think ahead to the rehearsal/performance stage with the Spellbound routine that I've been learning. I've been playing with an idea based on the Cinderella story, with a plain/scruffy coin changing into a bright shiny one, and back again. Unfortunately, Cinders only changes twice in her story so I've made it a comedy routine with more changes to fit the routine. I don't know how original it is (possibly not very) but it keeps me amused when practicing!
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
319 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Eaton's Spellbound is great, good luck. It's that final move that got me.
Kong
View Profile
New user
UK
34 Posts

Profile of Kong
Thanks, Shepher. Yes, it's a fantastic routine, isn't it?

I'm 90% there with it now with the half dollar & English penny and about 70% there with the smaller 10p & 2p coins - they make the last move a bit harder as I'm sure you know.

Without getting too much into the method, something I've found with the last move is that I find it easier to make the half dollar appear than the penny. I think it's because the half dollar's heavier weight makes the move easier (momentum/inertia?). Unfortunately, performing it that way means the first transfer, which I find slightly easier with the half dollar because of its milled edge, has to be made with the penny. I'm sure with practice I'll be able to perform all moves equally with both coins but for the moment I definitely find it easier over-all to start and end with the half dollar.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sore hands. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL