The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ideal size of close-up mat for card magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Do any of you have suggestions for how big a close-up mat should be? I know it depends on the circumstances. Right now I'm performing for family and friends at my place at the table. I want to have enough room to do ribbon spreads without being cramped; on the other hand, smaller pads are less expensive.

Thanks,

Bob
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Unless I'm doing ribbon-spreads (I have several reveals that use them) then I'm fine with standard mouse-pads. Cheap and easy.

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I have a largish (15 x 22) one for my practice area, though it gets cluttered with other stuff I'm playing with. That's the only one where I can do a full deck, straight, ribbon with room to spare.

For stand up, I have a small table and a mat that covers it perfectly, it's 14 x 17. Ribbon spreads are cramped.

If I'm doing strolling, I have a smaller one that fits in my bag, it's 10 x 15. Ribbons need to be arced and are still a cramped

Sooo, get a big one! Invest in your future. They're cheaper on Amazon, btw. $20 bucks for jumbo...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKNQ0KS/ref......0X7HM7VS
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks for the Amazon deal !

I have several sizes, but most of the time and for shows, I use the Pattrick’s biggest mat, the monster 24x35 one. Don’t take the plush, they are too fragile. Take the regular one.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
That's for all the great advice, folks. Last Laugh, have you worked with the Magic Makers pad that you gave the link to? If so, has it lasted well?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah I use it all the time. It's sitting on my desk, I even set books and the occasional beverage on it. It's very durable. I have a black one, but I like the green actually. I think I might order one!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Uh Oh, I'm encouraging you to spend money! Seriously, though, thanks for the info. I like the green better too.
Featherly
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Featherly
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Do any of you have suggestions for how big a close-up mat should be? I know it depends on the circumstances. Right now I'm performing for family and friends at my place at the table. I want to have enough room to do ribbon spreads without being cramped; on the other hand, smaller pads are less expensive.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, I have one that’s roughly 15.5 x 10.5. It serves a need but I am currently in the market for a larger one. I say if you’re getting one get a bigger one than what I have. You’ll have the space for when you need it .
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Featherly. It sounds like people mostly prefer larger ones. If money were no object I'd definitely go for a bigger one, probably the classic style Monster pad that Rach recommended. The Magic Makers mat that Last Laugh likes sounds like a good risk since he likes it and it's inexpensive.

Last Laugh, if you don't mind another question, have you tried Matrix on the MM pad? Does it give enough so you can pop up the coins' edges?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
Uh Oh, I'm encouraging you to spend money! Seriously, though, thanks for the info. I like the green better too.

No worries!
I've found some really deep discounts on magic stuff from time to time on Amazon. Side note, if you need a laugh, watch some of the demo videos from Magic Makers...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/DFCDF......95930011
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Featherly
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Featherly
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Quote:

No worries!
I've found some really deep discounts on magic stuff from time to time on Amazon. Side note, if you need a laugh, watch some of the demo videos from Magic Makers...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/DFCDF......95930011

I can say I would have never seen that trailer if you hadn’t linked it. You have my thanks! That was definitely entertaining.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Oh man, watch them all!
The wallet one is great, the 'secret box' one is hilarious, and the card flag one is, well, just an actress. But still hilariously bad.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
1. Has anyone done Matrix on either the Magic Makers pads or Pattrick's? Did they have enough "give"?

2. Rachmaninov,

I'm curious to hear your experience with the plush mat from Pattrick. You said it was fragile. Can you give a little more detail?

Thanks,

Bob
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
My monster mat from Pattrick got damaged very quickly in the spot you shuffle cards after just a few dozens hours of use. I was a little disappointed by this expensive product. Pattrick gave me good advices in order to try to restore it. It was better but still not good. I really advise you to buy the regular fabric, way more durable. Except for the plush surface, everything else is perfect.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Rach.
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Josepher
I prefer a middle size (12" X 24") mat. I have one that folds in thirds made by Pattrick's Mats. Excellent!.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I use Pattrick's mats. I use a 21" x 13" mat when I travel. (It fits in my carry-on bag without having to be rolled.) For my table top, I use a 28" x 17" mat which is on a piece of thin plywood. I took to Michael's to have it framed.

Click here to view attached image.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for the photo, Barry. Good idea to have it framed. It looks great.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Bob, put a towel In front of you on a table. Practice your spreads and mark where your needs are. Add a few more inches for framed look and then you know what you need. Looks like you have been looking over the many mats out these. If you can’t find want you want , I can custom cut one for you at www.pattricksmagic.com Happy Hunting!! Pattrick
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Rachmaninov, I am always concerned about our mats, and when people have issues with them. Any item with repeated use in the same area will wear out with extended use.However with that being said Please e mail or call me and perhaps rectify your mat issue with an agreeable ending. I am sure I can fix your issue. My contact is
pattrick@pattricksmagic.com. 419-297-3037 Thank you. Pattrick
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ideal size of close-up mat for card magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL