The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshP06
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Banachek? Corinda? Anneman? Brown? What books are the best in terms of mentalism? Not sure. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks in advance.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3388 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
If you want to start at the beginning, Annemann and Corinda are your best choices.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
What particular abilities do you want to display? Do you want to be a close up psychic, a psychological stage performer, or a mysterious character who demonstrates strange coincidences? Or something else entirely? Instructional materials will be different for each.

I personally suggest reading Corinda’s 13 Steps for a foundation in mentalism.

Ross Johnson has a very affordable DVD called Simply Psychic. This is a very good video. Johnson is working a tiny audience and they are unenthusiastic. But seeing how a pro handles that situation was very instructive. The material on there was also very good.

Richard Osterlind’s Mind Mysteries and Banachek’s Psi series make excellent next steps. Jermay’s Mind will demonstrate how to look really psychic to an audience. Highly recommended.

Personally, the most useful skill I’ve learned in mentalism is telling fortunes. You can’t go wrong with Julian Moore and his palmistry book. His numerology book will have you up and running in a short time, too. And he participates on the Café and seems like a very kind person. Thing about palmistry is you always have it with you. You can make friends in moments by reading a palm. And now you are the interesting, mysterious person who can do strange things.

Narrow down your focus to what abilities you want to show. Read 13 Steps for a basic grounding in the field. Ask yourself what makes you unique and interesting, then you’ll know a lot better what you want to learn. I hope that helps.

Patrick
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with Patrick. Some look at mentalism as just another type of magic like cards, coins, ropes, silks, illusions, etc. However many that are truly interested in mentalism can soon learn mentalism is part of the mental arts and sciences and can be much greater than just mental themed tricks (which is mental magic, actually quite different to actual mentalism). So while I agree with Patrick's advice above, I think the first step should be deciding mental magic or mentalism, and do you want to learn to do real mental abilities or just mental tricks?
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of TomB
Corinda’s 13 Steps to mentalism. That's the holy grail for mentalism.

I showed my daughter when she 8 years old the trick where she writes several predictions and a finally a card to a spectator (my wife) cuts to in a criss cross force. When it was all said and done my wife was completely fooled. Of course, sworn to secrecy we left her in wonder.

We did the trick a week later and my wife had it all figured out. Clearly, having acting skills matter and the second time was done without my coaching.

In the world of smart phones and watches I have a couple ideas to re-invent some old tricks. I got some ideas I'm working on right now.

Penn and teller fool us: cure the common cold season 6 episode 4 performs with Rashard Jennings and does a code act with a deck of cards. He explains two methods, and I am fairly certain I know the third unrevealed method. If you get a chance to watch it, and need help PM me.

I recommend reading 13 steps first though to see if you are fooled!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL