The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Twisting the aces (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1790 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Very nice presentation, Helder!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
Very nice presentation, Helder!

Thanks Arthur.
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
69 Posts

Profile of Josepher
Very nice. The only advice I could offer is show each ace for a few seconds longer as they appear.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, Josepher wrote:
Very nice. The only advice I could offer is show each ace for a few seconds longer as they appear.

Will do, thanks.

Helder
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1404 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Well done. You seem to have fun with it, your Elmsley looks great. If that's you in the video, you really need to update your Café photo...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2241 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Nicely done. That is pretty much the exact method I learned from Gerry Griffin back in the 90s, except I stop after the last card turns over (I don't do that last phase).

A couple notes:
1.) The camera is lower than the normal eye lines of a spectator so you are flashing the bottom card a bit to camera (I think around 45 seconds in).
2.) I haven't used the 4 Aces for this trick for at least 12 years, if not significantly more (I stopped using it before I moved into my current house, 12 years ago). Darwin Ortiz has some great advice on this particular effect in Strong Magic (I don't remember which page number), so I won't share it outside of private conversations.

Again, nicely done and I think your picture looks fine. I don't have my glasses on at the moment though so who knows ha ha.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
Well done. You seem to have fun with it, your Elmsley looks great. If that's you in the video, you really need to update your Café photo...

Thanks.

Will do it.

Hélder
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2019, Chris K wrote:
Nicely done. That is pretty much the exact method I learned from Gerry Griffin back in the 90s, except I stop after the last card turns over (I don't do that last phase).

A couple notes:
1.) The camera is lower than the normal eye lines of a spectator so you are flashing the bottom card a bit to camera (I think around 45 seconds in).
2.) I haven't used the 4 Aces for this trick for at least 12 years, if not significantly more (I stopped using it before I moved into my current house, 12 years ago). Darwin Ortiz has some great advice on this particular effect in Strong Magic (I don't remember which page number), so I won't share it outside of private conversations.

Again, nicely done and I think your picture looks fine. I don't have my glasses on at the moment though so who knows ha ha.

I know Darwin idea but it’s one of the few that I disagree with him.
With glasses you will look different. Smile
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2241 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2019, helder wrote:

Oh, I disagree with many things from every author I've ever read, I totally get it!

For this particular effect, I do agree with Darwin though. Without going any more off-topic or giving away Ortiz's ideas, I feel there is lack of progression and I strongly suspect that the spectators don't really keep track of the cards (see Strong Magic, anyone who doesn't know what we are talking about).

But this is a classic effect and you do it extremely well, so keep it up my friend!

Best of luck!
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, Chris K wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2019, helder wrote:

Oh, I disagree with many things from every author I've ever read, I totally get it!

For this particular effect, I do agree with Darwin though. Without going any more off-topic or giving away Ortiz's ideas, I feel there is lack of progression and I strongly suspect that the spectators don't really keep track of the cards (see Strong Magic, anyone who doesn't know what we are talking about).

But this is a classic effect and you do it extremely well, so keep it up my friend!

Best of luck!

There are a lot of theories and it’s good to know them but even better is perform the effects multiple times, judge the reactions and how they react to every phase, every word, move and adjust from there. Nothing beats experience.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2241 Posts

Profile of Chris K
It's funny you say that because experience is exactly why I agree with Darwin on this one. Next time during the trick, ask them which aces still need to turn over at some point. What does it mean if they can’t name them? That’s a rhetorical question by the way.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
743 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Thanks for sharing. However, on the second beat of your Elmsley Counts, it seems like you’re using the thumb of the “taking” hand rather than doing a multiple pushoff using the thumb of the hand holding the packet. It’s subtle but noticeably different from the way you peel off the single cards.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, ThomasJ wrote:
Thanks for sharing. However, on the second beat of your Elmsley Counts, it seems like you’re using the thumb of the “taking” hand rather than doing a multiple pushoff using the thumb of the hand holding the packet. It’s subtle but noticeably different from the way you peel off the single cards.

I use the thumb of the hand holding the packet to do the pushoff. I even practice taking single cards one by one for real and the action looks the same.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, Chris K wrote:
It's funny you say that because experience is exactly why I agree with Darwin on this one. Next time during the trick, ask them which aces still need to turn over at some point. What does it mean if they can’t name them? That’s a rhetorical question by the way.

Everything fine. We don't share the same point of view and we move on.
MGordonB
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Would it possible to share the page number in Ortiz’s book?
Thanks
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2019, MGordonB wrote:
Would it possible to share the page number in Ortiz’s book?
Thanks

Page 62 (at the end) and 63.
MGordonB
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Helder, Obrigado!
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
743 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, helder wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, ThomasJ wrote:

I use the thumb of the hand holding the packet to do the pushoff. I even practice taking single cards one by one for real and the action looks the same.

Even so, your left thumb placement is not the same for the real and multiple takes.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
319 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I'll just add a nit-picking subtlety. Giobbi stresses that the left hand should be held as openly as possible. Definitely not a dealers grip for the left hand. It conveys that posture of complete openness with nothing to hide.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Twisting the aces (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL