The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Will there be Kreskin impersonators or tribute acts one day? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
There's a old theater in my home town that hosts quite a few shows a year, mostly tribute bands that essentially impersonate famous bands of yesteryear. Mainly rock bands from the 70s and 80s.

This got me wondering, when The Amazing Kreskin goes to the great b****t box in the sky - which I truly hope is many years away, will someone emerge with a Kreskin tribute act?

I suppose the scale of Kreskin's fame is not the same as the famous rock bands. But at least one famous mentalist - Joseph Dunninger, had a show in tribute to him by Joe Atmore.

Is Kreskin as famous as Dunninger was? How do you measure that?

I can see a Uri Geller tribute act one day...perhaps he is more famous...
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
Isn't Kreskin already a Dunninger tribute act?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Kristin is often entertaining, but he may lack the gravitas to become a legend.

George
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I really doubt he's got enough of a reputation still.

There was a movie several years ago called The Great Buck Howard, based on Kreskin's persona. I had never heard of him before that movie, and I've only heard of very mixed reviews for his performances since then.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
357 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2019, clairvoyant wrote:
Isn't Kreskin already a Dunninger tribute act?

I came here to say this.

I feel IF Kreskin were to have a tribute show, it’s more of a continued Dunninger tribute anyway. That’s no disrespect to Kreskin, but as his legacy will be mainly remembered by the fraternity, much like that of Dunninger, and he is known mainly for copying an act.

I don’t think he brought enough originality, artistically speaking. But he is a masterful showman.
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think his shows really brought something new...glad I got them on dvd when I could...

The format was smart...
I've asked to be banned
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I do know of one "professional" who is essentially copying Kreskin's act.

In fact, me mentioning this many years ago, caused me to get blackballed from the PEA.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Somehow the derivative nature of Kreskin's act was entirely his own. He owned it.

I watched him on TV in the 1970s and saw him in 2012 live in a small venue in my hometown. I was the audience member on stage who looked at his personally printed promise to verify he was really betting his paycheck! I also went outside with the group that guarded him during the hiding of the "paycheck" as he did a little mind reading cold.

Somehow he seems part of the folk culture rather than an "impersonator" or copy-cat of Dunninger, and I rather think anyone who does similarly with the same boldness is preserving something, accomplishing something maybe important, even if not "moving the art forward" and so on.

P.S. I do think simple copying and impersonation is a real issue.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Good lord I hope not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Will there be Kreskin impersonators or tribute acts one day? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL