The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Which Hand? Overlooked By Arthur (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5692 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
There is some amazing work in Overlooked which should be in your arsenal of tools for this genre.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5584 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Overlooked is enjoying some great rave reviews. This is commendable. IMO Overlooked is worth considering.

And on another note, quoting a post from another thread:-

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, strollingmagician wrote:

Is this routine from this book? If not, where is this routine published? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/hIqfm-F01YQ

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Just got it. Very nice idea. Something to have in your back pocket. Great combination of method and idea.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4153 Posts

Profile of videoman
Lots of good reviews. I guess I need to pick this up.
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
132 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
For those of you who own one of them fancy gadgets I think there may be some merit in picking up my effect also. Why? Because its always useful to have different ways of doing effects if you perform in front of the same spectators regularly but more importantly part of the method I teach can be customized and used in so many different way.

Part of my method combined with ss/flux you could easily use to guess what somebody is thinking of. For example it could be used to essentially equivoque down to a thought of playing card or even a star sign. If your lucky and creative enough you could easily guess what someones star sign is in as little as 2 phases or guess a thought of playing card in 4/5 phases. Those are 2 of the easiest things to do and what I've done in the past but Im sure the idea could be expanded further. I do have a lot more work on this concept and apply it all sorts of routines. Im sure the creative people out there could expand on it further.

Just some food for thought
Sean Mann
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Sean Mann
Thanks for this Arthur. I think this is quite adaptable and I'll certainly use it.
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
132 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Thanks Sean! If you ever come up with some variations Id love to hear
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
Hey everyone, just picked up Overlooked today. As some of you may know I have a bit of a fascination with the "which hand" plot so I naturally had to have this. Smile
Arthur does a great job explaining this and the structure of the routine is great. I do believe it is worth the money for the download and if you are interested in the plot then you should get this. This is a solid, workable method.
Arthur seems to be a great guy and I like the fact that he edited his download in order to provide additional credit to another creator which he found out about after he had shot the tutorial. I will add something more here if I may, which is something that I know that Arthur couldn't possibly know.
Some people have mentioned that this is similar to Colin McLeod's "Perfect Prediction" which was taught in his Penguin Lecture and his book "Divine". What most people don't know is that Colin has come up with the exact same effect as Overlooked but has kept it a secret. The reason I know this is because I came up with it as well back in 2014. After performing it for a couple of years in conjunction with some other "which hand" routines, I decided to publish my work in my first book. I messaged Colin saying how much his "Perfect Prediction" routine had inspired me and while I was using some of my other ideas for "which hand" routines, I always wanted a routine in which I could repeat the process of finding the hidden object 4 or 5 times in a row. (I couldn't do this with my other routines).
So, after being inspired by "Perfect Prediction" I came up with a routine which I called "Hold that thought" which I sent to Colin to read. That routine used the exact same method as Overlooked. Even the instructions for the first 2 phases were exactly the same. Colin messaged me back saying that he had come with exactly the same routine years ago but had never published it because he wanted to keep it a secret. Since he didn't want this method published, I agreed not to publish it in my book either and kept it out. I had also sent it to Michael Murray who was compiling my book at the time and then asked him not to include it.
I know that Arthur can't have possibly known about all this since this was only shared with Michael Murray, Ian Rasp Cheetham who was doing the proofreading and Colin McLeod who I sent it to in order to thank him for inspiring me with his other routine.
I used a different technique for peeking and I think that Arthur's download provides a really good peeking method. Overall, I think this is a great download and I highly recommend it. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't have come up with it myself. :p
Great job Arthur and who knows, maybe we get to meet one day and jam about ideas and see what else we might have in common.. Smile
All the best,
Manos
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3374 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Funny enough Manos I have a feeling that you also shared it with me as when I watched overlooked it reminded me of something you showed me a good few years back.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

That is true Mark. I did a search on messenger and found the messages I had sent you. Turns out I had shared it with you as well.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5584 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, Manos Kartsakis wrote:

So, after being inspired by "Perfect Prediction" I came up with a routine which I called "Hold that thought" which I sent to Colin to read. That routine used the exact same method as Overlooked. Even the instructions for the first 2 phases were exactly the same.

I used a different technique for peeking and I think that Arthur's download provides a really good peeking method.

@ Manos: Just so as to clarify, I have a question please.

Are your two routines "Hold that thought" and "ProMetheus" the same or different?

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
132 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Hey Manos,

thanks for the detailed review and for pointing out some of the crediting. By the looks of it myself, Alexxander (who I later credited on the video) and yourself have been performing this variant on the plot since 2014 with the main inspiration from Colin. The concept Is incredibly simple (Thats a good thing in my eyes) and I'm by no means surprised others may have come up with it although I never saw the idea performed live or in print which I found surprising.

I did reach out to Colin to ask permission to release this which he granted although he never mentioned that he himself or yourself had been using similar ideas. Maybe so much time has elapsed since the original idea that it unfortunately it never saw print - 2104 was a long time ago!

Once I have a chance will try to add additional additional credits so your name is honored in some part or form!

All The Best
hcs
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany, Magdeburg
353 Posts

Profile of hcs
Quote:
... Some people have mentioned that this is similar to Colin McLeod's "Perfect Prediction" which was taught in his Penguin Lecture and his book "Divine". What most people don't know is that Colin has come up with the exact same effect as Overlooked but has kept it a secret. The reason I know this is because I came up with it as well back in 2014. After performing it for a couple of years in conjunction with some other "which hand" routines, I decided to publish my work in my first book. I messaged Colin saying how much his "Perfect Prediction" routine had inspired me and while I was using some of my other ideas for "which hand" routines, I always wanted a routine in which I could repeat the process of finding the hidden object 4 or 5 times in a row. (I couldn't do this with my other routines).
So, after being inspired by "Perfect Prediction" I came up with a routine which I called "Hold that thought" which I sent to Colin to read. That routine used the exact same method as Overlooked. Even the instructions for the first 2 phases were exactly the same. Colin messaged me back saying that he had come with exactly the same routine years ago but had never published it because he wanted to keep it a secret. Since he didn't want this method published, I agreed not to publish it in my book either and kept it out. I had also sent it to Michael Murray who was compiling my book at the time and then asked him not to include it.
I know that Arthur can't have possibly known about all this since this was only shared with Michael Murray, Ian Rasp Cheetham who was doing the proofreading and Colin McLeod who I sent it to in order to thank him for inspiring me with his other routine.
I used a different technique for peeking and I think that Arthur's download provides a really good peeking method. Overall, I think this is a great download and I highly recommend it. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't have come up with it myself. :p
Great job Arthur and who knows, maybe we get to meet one day and jam about ideas and see what else we might have in common.. Smile
All the best,
Manos
Mr. Murray sold "Which Hand" by Timon Krause. The book itself contains IMHO no credits.
(Maybe I overlooked it. Smile )
Did nobody read "Which Hand" before it was sold?
Melencolia I - Magic Squares for the Mental Entertainer * Smart Methods for 4x4 and 5x5 Magic Squares * 120 A4-pages
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3819 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, hcs wrote:
Quote:
... Some people have mentioned that this is similar to Colin McLeod's "Perfect Prediction" which was taught in his Penguin Lecture and his book "Divine". What most people don't know is that Colin has come up with the exact same effect as Overlooked but has kept it a secret. The reason I know this is because I came up with it as well back in 2014. After performing it for a couple of years in conjunction with some other "which hand" routines, I decided to publish my work in my first book. I messaged Colin saying how much his "Perfect Prediction" routine had inspired me and while I was using some of my other ideas for "which hand" routines, I always wanted a routine in which I could repeat the process of finding the hidden object 4 or 5 times in a row. (I couldn't do this with my other routines).
All the best,
Manos
Mr. Murray sold "Which Hand" by Timon Krause. The book itself contains no credits.
(Maybe I overlooked it. Smile )
Did nobody read "Which Hand" before it was sold?

Timon credits Alex Ward in the Which Hand book. I think it was a late addition since the credit came in the form of a very well written letter printed on nice letter stock, folded in half and inserted stuck in between the front cover.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3374 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:

So, after being inspired by "Perfect Prediction" I came up with a routine which I called "Hold that thought" which I sent to Colin to read. That routine used the exact same method as Overlooked. Even the instructions for the first 2 phases were exactly the same.

I used a different technique for peeking and I think that Arthur's download provides a really good peeking method.

@ Manos: Just so as to clarify, I have a question please.

Are your two routines "Hold that thought" and "ProMetheus" the same or different?

Smile

I can answer that. They are different effects.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Also the Other Brothers released hands down a good couple of years ago which allows a concept that gets you into a one a head type position and you can’t fail .
Great minds think a like , best in magic Gaz 🙂
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Arthur does give credit to The Other Brothers.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5584 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Thank you so much Mark.

Smile
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

I am happy to hear that Colin gave you his blessings to release this. Colin is a great guy and after meeting him in person at MINDS last year I have only good things to say about him. I did reach out to him again when the Other Brothers released their version pointing out the similarities between what he and I had come up with and their release.
Arthur, thanks for being willing to include me in the credits. Although my post was not made with that intention, it goes to show how much you value other people in our community. I really appreciate that. Smile
If you are interested in any additional ideas I will be happy to send them over to you. For now, I will leave here what I had written in my routine which applies to Overlooked as well. This is why in my opinion you should get this:

• It solves the “why should the spectator write it down and not just think of
the word” problem, thanks to the premise of the routine.
• It solves the “how exactly can you understand a word that I am thinking? I
know it’s not influence or body language” problem that some performers
might have. It actually offers a pretty credible explanation of how this can
be done in my opinion.
• Performers who hate logic puzzle based methods might like this routine
because it’s one of the few “which hand” routines that can be performed
totally impromptu without any gimmicks (when using a p**k or c***re t**r),
and doesn’t rely on a logic puzzle.
(I still believe some logic puzzles work great though).
• It solves the problem to the question “How do you do this?”/ “Are you a
psychic?” etc. Actually, I would suggest that you perform this when asked
these kinds of questions because it makes it appear more spontaneous and
less planned.
• It solves the “why would you write something down and then tear it up”
problem when using a ce***e t**r (more on that later).
• Performers who see no reason in playing a “which hand” game, might
appreciate this presentation. I am pretty happy with it.
• If none of the above was useful to you, then you just might like it because
it’s a solid 4 phase “which hand” routine (I know that many of you wanted
more phases) and you get to reveal more than just where the hidden object is.
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Ustaad as Mark mentioned, this is completely different in method to "ProMetheus". They were both inspired by Colin's "Perfect Prediction" but have completely different methods. "Hold that thought" did not require the use of a l***c p***le just like Overlooked. You will not find my version in any of my published work because as I mentioned I decided to keep it a secret as per Colin's wishes at the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Which Hand? Overlooked By Arthur (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL