The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Interesting idea for Roth's 'Wild Coin' or other Copper/Silver routines (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3091 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
So I've playing around with a variation on David Roth's 'Wild Coin'. In the version I learned from the Penguin lecture, he uses a coffee cup to drop the coins that have just been transformed to copper. If you know the routine, you know the cup needs to be opaque.

Well, I happened to have a small red tinted mason jar that I bought for another idea, and it occurred to me that a silver coin dropped into a red jar might be able to pass for copper.

It does!

Pic below is a dollar sized copper coin and a peace dollar. Even up close it's not easy to tell which is which.

Just an idea that I'm playing with, but I think it might be useful!

New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Elite user
prototype
435 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Very cool indeed.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
It might work if you have similar designs on both coins. Especially if you keep the spectators occupied elsewhere.
Wes
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3091 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah, and also the distortion from the glass jar makes it pretty hard to see any detail. The pic is from right up close, closer than any spectator would be. From even a few feet back you can really only see that they are coins.

And combined with the fact that this routine does keep moving, I think it's definitely workable.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Someday, a great number of us are going to make it out to where you live... you owe us some burgers Smile ... and you will be able to show us the final routine.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3091 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Definitely!

I had a chance to perform this for some friends and family over the weekend and it went over very well. It works!
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I will say, that using the red glass is a flash of brilliance. Congrats on coming up with it.
J Burke Whittaker
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of J Burke Whittaker
I believe that this was in Kaufman's Coin Magic but they talked about using an amber colored glass. It might have been in Richard's Almanac possibly if not in Coin Magic.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3091 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2019, J Burke Whittaker wrote:
I believe that this was in Kaufman's Coin Magic but they talked about using an amber colored glass. It might have been in Richard's Almanac possibly if not in Coin Magic.

Ah yes, not surprising. Happens constantly, interesting idea turns out to really old! Thanks for the reference.

Amber glass, for what it's worth, is usually considerably darker. But yep, that would work the same.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8407 Posts

Profile of funsway
My Mother had a set of Avon Ruby Goblets that I used for a C&B routine. The cut glass patters diffused the shape and quantity of objects inside just enough ...
I think they made Amber ones too.

but - I never though of using for a C/S routine. New thinking. Bravo!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3091 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2019, funsway wrote:
My Mother had a set of Avon Ruby Goblets that I used for a C&B routine. The cut glass patters diffused the shape and quantity of objects inside just enough ...
I think they made Amber ones too.

but - I never though of using for a C/S routine. New thinking. Bravo!

That sounds like a very nice look!
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3091 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Okay here's my routine. Based on David Roth's 'Wild Coin'. I think the jar works fine.

Caveat: I am a mentalist by trade, coins are a hobby.

Also, I usually give grief to people who film using the camera vertically, buuut... in this instance it just was the best option to get both me and my hands/table in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd0GMsN6BsE&feature=youtu.be
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Interesting idea for Roth's 'Wild Coin' or other Copper/Silver routines (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL