The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball passing through smaller ring (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
SEO magic sells Ring Escape that is basically a ball wrapped in a silk that passes through a small ring. Very nice
However I think I have seen a similar trick either in a book or a trick by somebody else.

Do you know of any source for a similar to the SEO trick? If not eventually I will buy SEO's but wondering if there is something else that it is better or more visual

Thanks
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2599 Posts

Profile of John Long
It would help to have a link to a video of the effect.

None the less, I found aspects of the routine you mention. A small ball/marble is wrapped in a cloth, it vanishes, and is found inside a small closed box.
Although the props are different (box vs. ring), I can see how the basic method could be used to make it appear that the ball went through the ring.
This is in "Magic for non Magicians" by Shari Lewis (of Lamb Chop fame)

John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2599 Posts

Profile of John Long
I found this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYk2Kt2mKo

It looks different than the reference I gave.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Hello John,this is the SEO product I was referencing in my first post
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
611 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Pabloinus, isn't there a trick in Bobo where you wrap a coin in a silk, then put a ring through the four corners of the silk to trap the coin? I am pretty sure this is an old Robert-Houdin trick, and it can be very visual. (It seems to me it is more visual than the link above.)
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Joe, I will look in Bobo's
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21786 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In order to salvage this discussion, here is the item Pabloinus was asking about.

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......_id/2331

Here is the demo video:

Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1502 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Bill, with your vast knowledge and experience, I’m surprised you sent the OP right back to where he started from... in the post he said SEO sells it.
He was inquiring something different... “However I think I have seen a similar trick either in a book or a trick by somebody else. ”

It seems as if I too have seen something quite similar but do not remember where I read or seen it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21786 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wravyn, you been on the Café long enough to have noticed that many of our members do not know how to navigate the Internet. I had to look it up, do decided to post for everyone to know what the OP was talking about.

Yes, this looks familiar to me as well, the coin though dental dam comes to mind, or the old penetrating Billiard Ball though silk that E-Z Magic sold 60 years ago. Different method, but it looks like it is all in the set right under the spectator's nose in this version. Kind of gutsy handling. I am sure it would be much better with some patter, instead of silent.

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I bought the trick and will receive it on Friday, I will add a quick review after I use it
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1502 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you pabloinus
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Quick update, I got SEO's ring escape and I also checked Bobo's coin in handkerchief. Bobo's is sleight of hand and misdirection while the SEO's trick is mechanical (gimmick) in operation.
The gimmick is in view and does not look like a gimmick and most likely will not create any suspicious, that is the cleverness of the trick.
What you see in the video is how it is and the props are the ones you see. I did it twice and worked fine, in both cases it took longer for the ball to free from the ring, so I need more practice to make it faster.

All along an inexpensive, candid props that create a very nice trick. Highly recommended
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1502 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you for the follow up. Does it have to be a ball that holds the ring or could it be a coin?
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Has to ne a ball I think, I will try with a coin
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5836 Posts

Profile of motown
In The New Phoenix, Volume 7, No. 2, April 1957 is an effect called Gelleritis by Christopher Mieritz-Agito. It originally appeared in the German magic magazine Magishe Welt. A solid wooden ball and a ring is given to a spectator to examine. The ball is taken back and coved with a hank/silk. The spectator attempts to force the ring over the ball, but is unable to. The performer then takes back the ring and gradually passes it over the covered ball leaving the ring and ball in the specs hands. Having watched the video, I don’ Think the methods are exactly the same. Not sure if this is what you might have seen Pablo.

At one point I looked into having someone on the Café make the ball for me but never followed through.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5836 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2019, motown wrote:
In The New Phoenix, Volume 7, No. 2, April 1957 is an effect called Gelleritis by Christopher Mieritz-Agito. It originally appeared in the German magic magazine Magishe Welt. A solid wooden ball and a ring is given to a spectator to examine. The ball is taken back and coved with a hank/silk. The spectator attempts to force the ring over the ball, but is unable to. The performer then takes back the ring and gradually passes it over the covered ball leaving the ring and ball in the specs hands. Having watched the video, I don’ Think the methods are exactly the same. Not sure if this is what you might have seen Pablo.

At one point I looked into having someone on the Café make the ball for me but never followed through.
Sorry, this should have said The New Pentagram, not The New Phoenix.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21786 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Motown, wood balls are available on the internet in all kinds of sizes. Easy to find and purchase.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5836 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes, but the ball requires some work that I can’t do.
– Karl Germain
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1529 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Motown, I will try to find the trick that you mentioned. From your explanation they work on different methods. I will not go further to avoid tipping the how it works.
From SEO's comment on the ring escape trick "This creation was introduced and released on Tenkai Ishida Award Anniversary Book in 1978. This is first time to appear on the market".
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Pretty cool trick. A little to much shaking however.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball passing through smaller ring (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL