The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » If reviewers gave us a CV (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think it would be great. There's an over abundance of these review channels and they show the latest thing, very rarely performed to a stranger. They tell us how pretty much everything is great and even the cons aren't really explained as to why they are a con.

Sometimes the con is actually an advantage. But they don't see it.

It's always "hey guys, so and so here, I was lucky enough to see this and I've gone and performed this non stop ever since..." Show us then Mr reviewer ..

Not aimed at us lot who buy something and give initial thoughts that's different.

But those with a channel and a webcam, I wish they'd script their review, back things up with a performance and then give us their evidence to support their somehow qualified opinion...

Tell us why we should listen to you with your freebie. Who are you, where and when do you perform. Why should you tell us to buy something?

Regular purchasers not included in the above.
I've asked to be banned
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Or just stop watching those who you think are off base. They are pretty obvious.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, but they seem to influence quite a few people's opinions...and it grows from there..
I've asked to be banned
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I know what you mean. There are a few good magic reviewers, I like watching Steve Faulkner's real magic reviews just because he does exactly what you mention in your post. When it comes to people exclusively reviewing mentalism products though it all gets a bit 'Jacob-y' (sorry, not sorry) I used to like the Paul Brook and 3 mentalists podcasts, shame they're not around anymore.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Yeah, but they seem to influence quite a few people's opinions...and it grows from there..
That is how the market works it’s magic. [There is a lot to read into that sentence.]
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Could you give an authentic review of a new a car without driving it???? Personally, other than perhaps a quick comment on how something is designed, I will not give a full review on something unless I have taken it out and performed with it.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I only buy from those that have a good history with me.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, John C wrote:

How can they achieve a good history with you without you buying something in the first place?
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
I think it would be great. There's an over abundance of these review channels and they show the latest thing, very rarely performed to a stranger. They tell us how pretty much everything is great and even the cons aren't really explained as to why they are a con.

Sometimes the con is actually an advantage. But they don't see it.

It's always "hey guys, so and so here, I was lucky enough to see this and I've gone and performed this non stop ever since..." Show us then Mr reviewer ..

Not aimed at us lot who buy something and give initial thoughts that's different.

But those with a channel and a webcam, I wish they'd script their review, back things up with a performance and then give us their evidence to support their somehow qualified opinion...

Tell us why we should listen to you with your freebie. Who are you, where and when do you perform. Why should you tell us to buy something?

Regular purchasers not included in the above.

Totally!!!!

Some are GREAT. Many suck. Some have a beautiful guy or gal... but I have no CLUE as to whether they are full time/part time performers or creators. If they do neither - then why am I watching? Some came literally from the ether. The review YouTube segments are just getting zany. I like MagicOrthodoxy a lot. I like WPR. Some others are OK too. Steve Faulkner is solid - and he was honest when we sent him a sample Game Night that he was not a regular user of book tests as I recall. Good reviewers balance things out.

Remember that some of the reviewers now are hired by ...

In terms of my reviewing - or my products being reviewed: 1) I will never ever put out a positive review of someone else's product if it isn't good. I might occasionally remain silent, but I will not tout it. Never. Its my reputation. If I lose that, I have nada 2) If someone doesn't like my product, even if I sent it free as a beta test/review - then they should feel free say what they didn't like and why - publicly or privately. I am a big boy - I can deal with it even if I disagree 3) If creators are thin skinned, then I wish they wouldn't send me free stuff. I have a huge box of free stuff that I didn't like enough to review over a period of years, and that is now my magic drawer
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, John C wrote:

How can they achieve a good history with you without you buying something in the first place?

There's enough history with enough creators like you and many others that I'm happy with what I have to pick from.

I've been around long enough long before every Café member didn't have something to sell.
I've certainly taken my share of "biting the bullet" some good some bad. But rarely do it now.
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
I think posters on this forum who are incentivized by product/service merchants through free products and/or renumeration should disclose their relationship with the merchant before recommending their products/services. Or denigrating a rival.

You know, like how the laws of most countries and the FTC/ASA demand.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2019, Jed Maxwell wrote:
I think posters on this forum who are incentivized by product/service merchants through free products and/or renumeration should disclose their relationship with the merchant before recommending their products/services. Or denigrating a rival.

You know, like how the laws of most countries and the FTC/ASA demand.

Totally agree. And while they're at it, they should be banned from the usual BS cliches- 'I begged him not to release this'. 'Its a game changer'. 'This will even fool magicians' ( who gives a f""k about that?) I'm a bit jaded by it all to be honest. Childish nonsense.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
You mean like "... This went directly Into my act!"
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Yes that's another classic!
All nonsense.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » If reviewers gave us a CV (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL