The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
So you can let the spectator deal the cards ?
mentalista78
View Profile
New user
VENICE
35 Posts

Profile of mentalista78
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’m lost, maybe drowning in a small canal of Venice…
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3241 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Prediction:
Xacaan will soon be available for $500.

Mentalista (previously known as Magic Boy here at the Café), has a long history of creating ACAANs and hyping them here. The last one was $400 or $500 if I recall (different method).

Also, that last video with two decks, I think it uses a different set of methods than the one he performs on Skype. I don't speak Italian, is he using the joker to select the card? Also how does he get the number? I think it's a throw off though...
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
If a magician were to do real magic, he would not choose to put a card at a number. Numbers are boring. so what. use a partial one way then switch it out.

for spectators an impossible location of a card, preferably signed, is a miracle. Or even turning mind to mind reading with cards. as real as it gets. I would have to buy No-doze for my show spectators if I did any card at any number they could care less about. this is the wholly fail. but glad you like it.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3214 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I have never seen any ACAAN that I would use in a paid performance. I don't think it is conceptually appealing to laymen. It is popular with magicians because they see the difficulties, and because they can see possible methods.
It is a magician's "puzzle."
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
400-500 dollars really ?! There is so much better magic for a so much lower price, I can’t believe someone can pay this price for a single method of such a derivative trick, because I second Pop here, from discussing with laymen, my conclusion is audiences don’t find it as impressive as magicians do…

But I must confess I liked the challenge to try to discover the method of Mentalista. I failed… And the method is obviously great. Congrats !
Tortuga
View Profile
Veteran user
Ballwin, MO
346 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
There have been a lot of fads in magic. The acaan plot is the latest.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1307 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
I have never seen any ACAAN that I would use in a paid performance. I don't think it is conceptually appealing to laymen. It is popular with magicians because they see the difficulties, and because they can see possible methods.
It is a magician's "puzzle."

Very insightful, Pop! And it's not just about the counting (cf cards across effects which I've noticed spectators really enjoy). ACAAN IS the holy grail for magicians, who mess with the puzzle on our own, but perform with other effects. One of Jay Sankey's clips shows an extremely simple ACAAN (my favorite, really, since it only has one sleight other than bringing a card to the top!). On the clip, Jay refers to ACAAN "the holy grail for card magicians." So yes, I too feel the allure of the puzzle and understand our obsession with it. Lynn
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Jesus drank wine from a grail formed from playing-cards at the Last Supper.

mentalista78
View Profile
New user
VENICE
35 Posts

Profile of mentalista78
Sorry guys but I don't know why my links Xacaan don't works!

steve
AceOfShades
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of AceOfShades
I might say something gambling related, as it may be more relatable to spectators than ACAAN or something like that. Maybe take a shuffled, borrowed deck and deal out a winning poker hand or all the aces or whatnot. Doesn't have to have a million methods to fool a layman hard, although gambling sleights tend to emphasize quality over quantity anyways from what I have seen.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Spectator shuffles the cards, and they turn into a duck. The difficulty identifying the subject in the second phrase causes the audience to melt into puddles of cheese. Someone realizes it's edam. The magician says, "made", and the cheese morphs back into the audience, which collectively names a card. The duck quacks, chokes out a card, and it turns into the spectator. The cool feel of a breeze creates goose bumps despite the sealed room.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

AceOfShades
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of AceOfShades
Listen, strange ducks laying in ponds distributing cards is no basis for a system of magic. Supreme magical effect derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I don't think there is really a holy grail in terms of slight of hand. What matters more, is whether or not you performed it in a way that makes it a MIRACLE!

Josh
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26944 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2019, JoshDude849 wrote:
I don't think there is really a holy grail in terms of slight of hand.
Have you seen Chad Nelson's clipshift? That's useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4kxNx3PA1E
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I actually haven't seen that before. I must admit that is pretty ingenious.

But of course, some dummy decided to reveal it on YouTube.

Josh
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Clipshift is such a monkey knuckle buster.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3214 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
My idea of a Holy Grail for card magic would be that the face down card in the spectator's hand changes to whatever card they freely name.
Or, the spectator signs a card and puts it in the middle of the pack which he is holding. When he taps the top of the deck, his card comes to the top.
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
To entertain the audience!!!!

After 15 years in magic, I couldn't agree more!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL