The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, Tortuga wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
The trouble with transmogrification magic is it isn't card-specific.

Neither are color changes, vanishes, restorations, productions....

I concur. I'm suggesting the more esoteric responses are answering a more universal question about magic. Not a bad question itself.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3212 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I concur. I'm suggesting the more esoteric responses are answering a more universal question about magic. Not a bad question itself.

Could you explain a bit more about your position. I am not clear what you are saying and how it applies to this question.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Could you explain a bit more about your position. I am not clear what you are saying and how it applies to this question.

I roll a lovely assistant in a giant Ace of spades and cut them in half, then join them again for a whole assistant and a giant Queen of Hearts. I'm suggesting this isn't card magic unless we bend definition beyond reason.
I like the op question as an interesting exercise but without borders it becomes Name a Miracle.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3212 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
What sort of borders do you recommend? What sort of card trick would make a Holy Grail? What is the most powerful effect that can be accomplished using playing cards? Why is that not worth considering? The tricks I suggested are real magic effects. Are you saying there is no way to accomplish these effects?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6078 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Mathematically it's the same, but conceptually it's a bit different. The rationalization for how the magician could have gotten a thought-of card to the top of the deck isn't going to be the same for how the magician could have gotten a thought-of card to the 19th position (or whatever).

Not that I think ACAAN is necessarily the better trick.

The effect isn't that the magician "got it there" in either scenario.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2969 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Mathematically it's the same, but conceptually it's a bit different. The rationalization for how the magician could have gotten a thought-of card to the top of the deck isn't going to be the same for how the magician could have gotten a thought-of card to the 19th position (or whatever).

Not that I think ACAAN is necessarily the better trick.

The effect isn't that the magician "got it there" in either scenario.

I wasn't talking about the effect. I was talking about the suspicion that can undermine the effect which we need to deal with.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
What sort of borders do you recommend? What sort of card trick would make a Holy Grail? What is the most powerful effect that can be accomplished using playing cards? Why is that not worth considering? The tricks I suggested are real magic effects. Are you saying there is no way to accomplish these effects?

Considering questions of possibility is always a worthwhile endeavor to push art and science forward. I'm personally reading a narrow interpretation of card-magic that excludes alternate forms such as stage and mentaliam. I'm familiar with your astonishing work and meant no affront.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3212 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I took no offense. I am talking about card magic. I am perfectly willing to talk about just close-up card magic. The questions are still the same. I just am not sure what you are saying.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
352 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I think the holy grail in magic is to put smiles and the sense of amazement on your spectators faces....regardless of technique.

If magicians are your audience, then that statement might be modified.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3212 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, kShepher wrote:
I think the holy grail in magic is to put smiles and the sense of amazement on your spectators faces....regardless of technique.

If magicians are your audience, then that statement might be modified.

I would think that that is the barest and most basic requirement of performing magic.

Just a nice drinking cup; not the grail.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
352 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Ok, Pop. That was a simplistic reply.

From a technical point I would say the holy grail is a 100% realible pinky count, and the ability to riffle stack at will. And do perfect, and partial faros with any deck.

Kevin
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
352 Posts

Profile of kShepher
From a personal and amazement perspective I would add mastery of Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls routine....with the wand spin...-;))
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26941 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
...to put smiles and the sense of amazement on your spectators faces....regardless of technique.

+1 to that basic nice drinking cup Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3212 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
...to put smiles and the sense of amazement on your spectators faces....regardless of technique.

+1 to that basic nice drinking cup Smile

Beats drinking out of your hands...
mentalista78
View Profile
New user
VENICE
32 Posts

Profile of mentalista78
This is LIFE ACAAN 2704 (SUB ENG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqEY6gwk8ps

embrace

steve
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
850 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Why blurring the bottom of the pack ?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
850 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
If your acaan versions are really as they seem to appear, why don’t you go on Fool us and start a nice career ?
mentalista78
View Profile
New user
VENICE
32 Posts

Profile of mentalista78
Dear rich its only my passion..one day I hope that a magician perform my card trick invention!

embrace

steve
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1998 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2019, Rachmaninov wrote:

Yeah do those blurs come with the trick? Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Tortuga
View Profile
Veteran user
Ballwin, MO
342 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2019, Rachmaninov wrote:

There is also an apparent cut or displacement when the rubber band is removed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL