The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
368 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Ok, Pop. That was a simplistic reply.

From a technical point I would say the holy grail is a 100% realible pinky count, and the ability to riffle stack at will. And do perfect, and partial faros with any deck.

Kevin
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
368 Posts

Profile of kShepher
From a personal and amazement perspective I would add mastery of Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls routine....with the wand spin...-;))
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, kShepher wrote:
...to put smiles and the sense of amazement on your spectators faces....regardless of technique.

+1 to that basic nice drinking cup Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3262 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2019, kShepher wrote:
...to put smiles and the sense of amazement on your spectators faces....regardless of technique.

+1 to that basic nice drinking cup Smile

Beats drinking out of your hands...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How many times in a row can your method do that trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tortuga
View Profile
Elite user
Ballwin, MO
430 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
How many times in a row can your method do that trick?

I think method(s) is more appropriate here.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8463 Posts

Profile of Mb217
So simply put and looks amazing. 😁
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8463 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not sure why there is not more posts here, this looks amazing..."Holy Grail" territory. 🤔

https://www.facebook.com/VocedelNord/vid......4386379/
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ben Bob
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Ben Bob
I think the Holy Grail In card magic is Something that entertain the spectator well.This is the first one. The second one is that it should look like the real magic.It should be incredible. But the holy Grail Which has the meaning of unachievable ,and we have done some magic very well,Like the triumph and some Cards in any location. When we send some limits on it, it will be unachievable. However, I always think that what matters most is the effect. If the limits don't change the effect,It's meaningless.As for me,I like the card in the spectators pocket and think of a card.I don't like the AC CAN
personally.Because I think it has been performed so much times .But it can't be denied that it's a strong effect.
Ben Bob
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Ben Bob
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2019, mentalista78 wrote:
Https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f......86389030 little trailer film X.A.C.A.A.N.

I really want to meet you and See your performance if possible.It's really incredible and amazing if it's true.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
Zambia
102 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Why are we not talking about a true 51FN. One where they stop anywhere in the deck, you never touch the card, the deck is never even in your hands, and your prediction is correct.

-Elisha
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
Zambia
102 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Also, I applaud your use of those cards. I have used the same ones, and performing anything with them is a beast.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3037 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Any website? Do not do Facebook
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Tortuga
View Profile
Elite user
Ballwin, MO
430 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
It would be nice to get this thread back to the original posters intent and not an advertisement for someone's product. If you want to sell an effect, take out an ad like all of the paid sponsors that help fund this place.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2309 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Assuming "holy grail" is a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after as defined here :

Something that is quick, interesting (to non-magi), clear, visual, involves spectator involvement, can be repeated (this would normally be a low priority but we're talking grail here), and can be done impromptu (or even improvised).

In my experience, ACAAN doesn't generally fit the bill, as interesting as I find them. It was a weird realization because my first thought was "Holy grail? A clean ACAAN of course!" So this is a good example of how setting criteria up first can really add clarity. As for what is my personal holy grail, I have to re-assess now. Hopefully I'll come up with something, and then come up with how to do it.

Great discussion!
LuttinShaun
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of LuttinShaun
> thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after

What comes to mind is a 30-minute session that satisfies both me and the audience.

For me, a key criteria is simplicity of equipment: one deck of standard bikes and a black Sharpie.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
912 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Why a black sharpie ? You can do amazing things without it. Why a deck of cards ? You can do amazing things without anything too.

It changes all the time, but for now, my holy grail would be able to reveal something someone is thinking of, without that person saying a single word.
LuttinShaun
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of LuttinShaun
A black sharpie helps with The Comet Effect, which is an idea I first learned from Juan Tamaraiz in The Magic Rainbow. By making a personal connection with the playing card (because the spectator signed it), the after effect is longer (the tail of the comet).

A deck of cards is important because the title of this thread is, "What is the holy grail in card magic?" For me personally, a deck of cards is important for card magic.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
912 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I was just throwing some provoking questions. No offense to you Shaun ! Sorry if I hurt your feelings !

By the way, we can do card tricks without cards !
LuttinShaun
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of LuttinShaun
No feelings hurt. There is something vaguely Taoist about doing card tricks without cards. That's not something I have pursued, so for me, personally, it isn't a holy grail item ("a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after"), whereas for me, personally, 30-minutes of tricks with only physical cards (Bicycles) and a Sharpie is what I have been pursuing for 26 years, on and off. The longer I pursue this, the closer I come to its realization, and the more I go back to simple, direct plots such as The Ambitious Card, Oil & Water, Slow Motion Aces, and The Homing Card. It's compelling evidence that we need to come full circle and rediscover that with which we started.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the holy grail in card magic (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL