The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves and Preference (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aaron martini
View Profile
New user
Vancouver
31 Posts

Profile of aaron martini
For about 20 years I have found female doves much easier to train.

How trainable are the males? I have used the male only a few times.

Martini
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I use to have 2 males, they were fantastic. Easily catch on.

They are noisy and do not get along well together. You will need a very large cage as they tend to fight if they can't get away from each other.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4973 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As Bill said, males in a small cage often fight. They are territorial. When I was performing my dove act, I had 35 doves in a large aviary (12 ft x 12 ft, 8ft high) in my basement with a mix of males and females. There was plenty of room for all. As far as training, I never had a problem with either sex. The only difference is the males tend to be a little larger than females.
Where the magic begins
aaron martini
View Profile
New user
Vancouver
31 Posts

Profile of aaron martini
Thanks, that definitely helps.

Martini
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
120 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
I currently have 13 doves and the females are the performance group.....mainly because 3 of my males have been pecking the heck out of each other and one is starting to look like a bald eagle from the feathers he's lost. He also happens to be the alpha male and the father of 95% of the 2nd and 3rd generations.
I have recently separated him from the others and thins have calmed down, but I agree the males are VERY territorial.
Bruce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves and Preference (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL