The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do as I Do with two spectators and not much magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I had the idea of presenting Do as I Do as an ancient ritual the young couples used to perform to find out whether they were truly compatible. For that purpose it would be ideal to have a version of the trick that two spectators could perform with little intervention by the magician. Does anyone know of such a version, or have ideas for one?

John Carey has a zillion variations on Do as I Do; maybe he's already got something like what I describe... Or, if not, his mind is so creative that he could probably just whip one up in an hour or a week. Mr Carey...????

Thanks, everybody.

Bob
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
It'd be trivial to just have them each do the Balducci Force on themselves to come up with mates.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
On the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on May 1, 2008 (page 131 of the book Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic)I describe my version of "Quadruple Coincidence (from "Scarne On Card Tricks" and "Hugard's Magic Monthly").

My introduction to the effect is, "It's our second date," the magician says to the woman he hopes he will build a relationship with. "I just read something about a way to see if we are a compatible couple. Should we try it?"
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Bernaby and Gerald.

Bernaby, that's a brilliantly simple idea (if I may say so), and even allows the magician to incorporate a convincer I read about somewhere: magi demonstrates how the card is chosen, then the two spectators choose their cards in turn by the same method and get different cards from the magi's. One question, though. Seems to me an intelligent spectator might be able to reverse engineer Balducci; so it would be nice to have some camouflage or additional handling so that not all the attention is on the way the cards are chosen.

Gerald, I have your book and will look up your version of Do as I Do. I like the idea of "perverse magic" a lot.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. to Gerald: Seeing whether the *magician* is compatible with the spectator wasn't what I had in mind, but it occurred to me that I could change the patter to a story about two people, with the magician and the spectator playing the roles of the two people.
otzdog
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of otzdog
There's a trick called "chaotic coincidence" on disc 4 of Dani DaOrtiz's "Here and Now" that may work. It's a version of Do as I Do, where the spectators handle the two halves under a table.

It can be done with a shuffled borrowed deck, but note that there are a couple of sleights involved in preparation,.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Bernaby, that's a brilliantly simple idea (if I may say so), and even allows the magician to incorporate a convincer I read about somewhere: magi demonstrates how the card is chosen, then the two spectators choose their cards in turn by the same method and get different cards from the magi's. One question, though. Seems to me an intelligent spectator might be able to reverse engineer Balducci; so it would be nice to have some camouflage or additional handling so that not all the attention is on the way the cards are chosen.

That's essentially the point of the convincer you talk about, which is to show how the arbitrary cutting gives you a random card. At that point, everything is out of your hands. The theoretical trade-off is that what you lose by adding the procedure is more than overcome by the magician never touching the cards. It's one of the major strengths of something like the cross-cut force.

Now, that said, I tend to think that those sorts of self-working forces tend to work best when they are only part of the mystery (eg: ashes on the arm). In this case, maybe something like Gemini Twins would be better than the Balducci. Alternately, they could both be doing it at the same time with decks (or with half-decks?).

In the latter case, you could diddle with the presentation a bit, where you do readings on where they cut each time. You'll need to do a lot of made-up BS on the spot -- for mentalists this would be no problem, but traditional magicians generally don't have much inclination in training in that sort of thing, for understandable reasons. The first cards they cut to would be the past card, the second could be the present, and the third could be the future. The first two sets of cuts would (or should, anyway) give you different cards, showing they're coming from different places, but the final cards show that their future is together. Awwwwwwww.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Burnaby: Interesting. I never thought about the cross-cut force in that way. I like the Gemini Twins idea -- the procedure is more complicated and so the coincidence(s) at the end would be more mysterious. The trick would have to be modified in some way -- otherwise each of the two people would end up with *other* mates, if you see what I mean.

As for Balducci and B. S.: I'm not usually good at making up stuff on the fly, but making up a rubric, if that's the world I want, in advance wouldn't be a problem, especially if I knew in advance who I was going to perform for. For instance, if they had the same suit and the numbers were close together, "You had good friends, but there was still something missing from your life..." Would need to deliver this with tongue in cheek, or with pompous seriousness.

Lots to think about here...

Otzdog: Would you be willing to describe the effect (not the secret) to me? I don't want to spend fifty dollars (even if it is a great price for 4 DVD's) unless I have a pretty strong sense that I could use Chaotic Coincidence.
otzdog
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of otzdog
Bob G, fair enough. Dani's one of my favorites, so I get just about anything he'll put out. Smile Here's the effect:

Spectators can legit shuffle a deck (any method). Magician takes the deck and puts two cards face down as predictions. Magician then gives two spectators a half deck each (cards are face down) and has them put the packets under the table. They hand each other, under the table, a card from the middle of their packet. They reverse the card and insert it anywhere in their packet, then they shuffle their packets. Then they perform a "ritual" where packets are flipped face up/face down and repeat until they want to stop. Each spectator then brings their packet above the table, and lo and behold, each packet has one reversed card, which match (color and value) the prediction cards.

The method could be adapted pretty easily (by taking advantage of the likelihood of two matched value cards being next to each other in a shuffled deck), to have the predictions and the reversed cards be 4 of a kind, which would lend itself to reinforce your (very neat) idea of having it relate to a connection between the people.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Otzdog, I appreciate the detailed description. It sounds like a really fun trick. I've heard lots of people rave about Dani. I think I have one of his DVD's (not the one you recommended), and you're inspiring me to take a second look.
otzdog
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of otzdog
I'll admit he's not for everyone. Juan Tamariz is one of his mentors, and it shows both in his style and his thinking. He's more flamboyant than what some people may like (almost like the opposite of Darwin Ortiz?), and a lot of his stuff is equal psychology/presentation vs method (i.e. "moves"). His trick "Or Not" is one that I use ALL THE TIME.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I know very little about him and am looking forward to watching his work. I don't know enough to say whether he's my cup of tea. And you learn from watching different styles, whether you adopt them or not.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1647 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
A rubric for what to say for each card is fairly simple. If you can memorize 17 words and build a statement from a 2-word prompt, you can tell fortunes with cards.

Each suit gets a word. That’s 4.

Each value gets a word. 13 more. Done.

So, Ace of Hearts gets “new start” and “emotions.”

Check out Richard Webster’s essay on deceptionary.com for the whole list of key words.

Or, if readings aren’t your thing, that’s fine, too. But it really isn’t all that hard once you practice a few times.

Patrick
Alex Carantoña
View Profile
New user
Asturias, Spain
10 Posts

Profile of Alex Carantoña
I would simply use a variation/sequence of mixes from Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson plot, also developed at Paul Wilson's C3. Interesting enough to give it a twist and do a coincidence trick...
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1219 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Alex and Patrick.

Patrick and Burnaby, I've never done a reading, but I can imagine it would be fun. This idea of memorizing 17 words appeals to me. If the words are fertile, I could easily imagine getting on a riff based on them. Ah, there's so much cool stuff to explore!

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do as I Do with two spectators and not much magician? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL