The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » NEW David Regal Book: Interpreting Magic (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
746 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Paul, if you are asking me that question, I don't have the tricks ranked! In addition, there are some very different sorts of effects in the book - it's like comparing apples and thumb tips.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2374 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks for the reply David. I was just asking the other guys on the thread as someone mentioned “David’s Bottle” and I found it fun to skip ahead and read someone else’s recommendation. I started at the beginning and am about half way through. If anybody is interested in what I found as my top three thus far let me know. This is probably my favorite magic book I have ever read. If you haven’t already you should buy this book!
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I'd like to hear your top three Paul.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2374 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
My Crush pg.184
Glass & Gold pg.178
One for the Ladies pg.38
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Do you have any teaser descriptions on those, for those of us who do not yet have this book?
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2374 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Don't want to give too much away but here are some brief descriptions:

My Crush - basically a card to picture frame with a great presentational/comedic hook.
Glass & Gold - a shot glass, dollar bill and borrowed ring are used. The ring vanishes in a very clean manner then reappears.
One for the Ladies - a demonstration of misdirection, think card under glass (or card box) for example.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Paul, I don’t have the book in front of me so I don’t know the names, but my favorites are:

David’s Bottle
His take on Homing Card
His take on mystery card (with normal cards)
Lucky Number
Doctor Doctor

Madison
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Really disappointing book is not available from UK dealers, I don’t think I’m alone not purchasing due to $45 postage.
snape
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of snape
You're not, Philippe.
leosx1
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Considering what I pay for some stand alone magic tricks , to get a whole variety in a boook which will offer me joyous reading time for years to come 45 usd was no barrier for me and I am eagerly awaiting the receival,
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
746 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Yes, shipping internationally has become very expensive. It has essentailly doubled since my last book came out. The book is large, about 6 pounds, and for me to personally ship a book overseas (which I've done, for some of the contributors) costs me $70! $45 represents a discount I receive by paying a fulfillment company to do the shipping instead of me. They have a much lower rate due to the fact they ship in great volume and have negotiated lower prices. So I support your outrage, but don't imagine it's a source of profit.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1294 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2019, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Received the replacement book today in record time. Really appreciate David's quick action in getting it to me.

Have now read about two hundred pages and the book is fantastic. Buy it!

I don't get it. Magic books with a myriad of routines, detailed instructions and essays of course ; how can you possibly absorb the content so quickly to determine how fantastic it is. I realize David Regal's work speaks for itself but it always bothered me regarding reviews of magic instructional books so quickly. Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you and it's not just on books. I always laugh when I see reviews of a product the day it's released.

That's not to say this product (especially this product - as you said, David Regal's work speaks for itself and I expect this book to be great), or any one in particular, is not good. But I've sadly come to realize that the vast majority of reviews are worthless. They are made by people that oftentimes have not even watched / read all the instructions and have never performed the effect.

The magic companies don't help since they want reviews ASAP after something is released to help with sales. So I wait awhile and see what people say some time after it is released. Of course, for most things, people have already moved on to something else. But their review of the effect they never performed remains.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
746 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I'd review my book for you, but I'm biased. That said, it truly was a labor of love.

As far as reviews go, I do have advice: Find someone whose reviews you trust. A person who, by and large, looks for and appreciates much the same things you do in the subject being reviewed, be it music, film or, in this case, magic. When you have that person, you can absolutely look for his or her first blush opinion of that new piece of music, movie, new magic effect, or great big hunk of writing. We know how we feel about things pretty quickly. I'm only 1/4 into The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler but I've already turned to my wife to tell her how I'm feeling about it (it's great).

So please, if someone is pleased with my efforts, let them have their say! Writers need that word of mouth for all the reasons you can imagine.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
746 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Here are a few reviews. More should be coming in a couple of weeks.

"It took David eleven years to publish this companion piece to his previous release, and the polish on these routines is a testament to taking the time to get things right... There is nothing that is served half-baked in Interpreting Magic. The toughest part of this book is separating the gems from the gems; this is a book that you will be dipping into, and exploring for many years to come."
Nick Lewin - Vanish Magazine

"One of the best magic books ever... I gained knowledge and joy from every page."
Norman Beck - M.U.M. Magazine

"If this book only had the magic routines, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the essays, it would be worth the price. If this book only had the interviews, it would be worth the price. To get all three, packed into a beautifully produced, 565-page book is a gift... I give it my highest recommendation."
Michael Close Book Review
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
935 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
David. I've sent the link to my family as a priority Christmas gift. Once I read it I'll talk about it.

Hope all is well.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
746 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I just like that your Christmas list has a "priority" section.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » NEW David Regal Book: Interpreting Magic (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL