We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » NEW David Regal Book: Interpreting Magic (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3926 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Excellent book. Really well produced with full color pics. So far I’m only through the stand-up material, but there are some really creative ideas.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Still only about 200 pages in, but I am loving this book. The variety and quality of material is excellent.

Perhaps most importantly, between the essays, interviews, and the creativity of the scripts and effects, it is a book that inspires one to perform and become better. Love the pictures that David includes of him performing some of the effects at the Magic Castle as well!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I admit I've been clicking on the Genii website for a few days now, waiting for the November issue and the review of Interpreting Magic. The review, by Francis Menotti, has been published, and here is the first paragraph:

"David Regal is not human. Over the hours, no-days-of thoroughly digesting the more than 500 pages of his freshly released tome, it is evident that the man is part elfish imp, part unstoppable robot, and a fully whimsical creative genius with the witty demeanor of a mischievous Terry Pratchett character. If one is looking for another procedural, academic textbook featuring the here's-a-trick, here's-the-method format, they will be disappointed. This is a journey through magic and its construction and its betterment. It is a collection of time-and experience-tested thoughts, cleverly disguised in tricks, moves, routines, essays, and an impressive number of interviews with many of today's top minds in magic."

The book was a journey and a labor of love, so I am pleased that people are responding to it. Many thanks.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
404 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I like Elfish Imps! Unstoppable Robots...not so much.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1604 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Hope David can bring enough for sale at The Session.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
From the review of Interpreting Magic in today's Magicseen Magazine:

"If the book consisted of only the tricks, it would already be a "Must Buy," but that is only one third of the book's content."
Mark Leveridge
Oz62
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Oz62
Hi David,

I just purchased your book from your website but got too excited and made an error confirming my old address!!! I sent you a private message through here and your personal e-mail with the right address. Do you think you can help with that?? Thank you in advance!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I realize things happen. I’m contacting the fulfillment company and trying to sort it out. We’ll get you your book one way or another.
Oz62
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Oz62
David, I got an email saying the book is shipped and it has the correct address on it. You must be very busy these days and I really appreciate you taking the time to fix this! Smile
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I like it when things work out!
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of drmagico
David,
Still reading through this amazing work. Thank you for your great contributions to our art.
Howard
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
I saw David lecture last week with his bottle effect. Very clever!! I bought his book and it is a monster!!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Some people have written to ask if there are tricks in the book. There are TONS of tricks.

Click here for a general idea
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3841 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It is a wonderful book although I just started to dive into it! The interviews are outstanding... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
leosx1
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Indeed a Wonderful book and a source of inspiration and ideas for many years to come ! Smile thank you David Smile Martin
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Many, many, MANY people have written to me saying "When will the book be in magic shops?" For now, I am the only one selling Interpreting Magic, and for a good reason: I paid for the printing costs personally, and those costs were high - I spared no expense. When I die they'll say: "I didn't like him as a person, but did you feel the quality of the paper stock on his last book?" This is a lovely physical object as well as, I dearly hope, a book you will enjoy reading and give you material that you enjoy performing.

The reviews are in:

Genii Magazine – Francis Menotti:
“A valuable, highly recommended piece of magic literature from which every reader can gain inspiration.”

Vanish Magazine – Nick Lewin:
“An enthusiastic five-star rating out of a possible five stars.”

M.U.M.– Norman Beck:
“I gained knowledge and joy from every page.”

Michael Close Book Reviews:
“I give it my highest recommendation.”

Magicseen – Mark Leveridge:
“Another brilliant collection.”

It is my Christmas present to the world. And my Channukah present to a smaller portion of the world.

xo
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
946 Posts

Profile of algebraic
David, I like your comment on the quality of the paper stock. My home town had one industry, paper-making. The mill made all kinds of paper, including coated paper.
Whenever I buy a magic book, I always check out the quality of the paper. I certainly noticed the quality of the paper on your latest book.
I can only imagine your costs to produce your book. I think it's smart to handle it your way. After-all, only you know the true costs.
We all need to work on our patience in this, I want it now world. Yes, myself included.
Sadly, the mill in my home town had a hostile take over. The mill was demolished years ago. The town has suffered greatly in the name of progress.
I'm glad you took the time to produce your book on your terms and to sell it on your terms. It made me be more patient. I'm enjoying taking my time reading your book. I'm also going back over your/my other books that you wrote. I really enjoy your books.
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
636 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, David Regal wrote:
Many, many, MANY people have written to me saying "When will the book be in magic shops?" For now, I am the only one selling Interpreting Magic, and for a good reason: I paid for the printing costs personally, and those costs were high - I spared no expense. When I die they'll say: "I didn't like him as a person, but did you feel the quality of the paper stock on his last book?" This is a lovely physical object as well as, I dearly hope, a book you will enjoy reading and give you material that you enjoy performing.

Why wait until you die? I'll say it now! I'll also say the *content* of the book is amazing and I'm still only part way through it...
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I finally got this. If you care about first editions, David sent out an email that the first editions were almost gone so that pushed me over the edge.

As everyone else has said this is a massive, beautiful book with quality paper stock and vibrant photographs. One thing I really appreciate is that the binding is sewn, meaning the book will stay open anywhere you want as you read it with props in hand. This will keep me occupied for months, and if you look at it that way it's a great value. Of course given David's history with really well thought out and fooling effects, I'm sure it's a great value regardless.
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1975 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Now available to preorder at your favorite Murphy’s Magic retailer.

Over 500 pages with over 60 routines for close-up, parlor and stage. All this paired with over 1,000 photographs. There are also 30+ conversations with artists, inventors, and contributors to the magic craft.

"David Regal understands more than magic - he understands the moment."
- David Copperfield

"Interpreting Magic is OUSTANDING, and I look forward to returning to it again and again."
- Joshua Jay

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=66460

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » NEW David Regal Book: Interpreting Magic (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL