We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Recomendation for a coin holdout? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3168 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Ideally I want something non-magnetic that will hold a silver dollar. Thinking something that can attach to my back pocket area and will also cover/obscure the coin to some degree. Is there such a thing? I've experimented with something along the lines of a clothespin, but was kind of envisioning something with more coverage.

I don't usually perform in a jacket.

Thanks,
Matt
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
This Klein tools magnetic wristband is my favorite. It is flexible and folds flat like a wallet just put it in your back pocket and you have an instant hold out that covers a nice size surface area.

Klein Tools 55895 Tradesman Pro Magnetic Wristband https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBFYJGD/ref......b00YQE1D
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
A Secret Servante may work for you.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Didn’t read it right when you wrote non magnetic. Sorry.
J Burke Whittaker
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of J Burke Whittaker
What you are seeking might be John Bannon's input/output holdout; it fits everything you are looking for. non-magnetic, holds it at your back pocket, and is covered by a coat or un-tucked shirt. Even some t-shirts would be long enough to hide it. By its nature and the material it is made of it could be magnetic but that is not the function used as the "hold out" mechanism. Very practical, very inexpensive, and can be found in Smoke and Mirrors.

inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1934 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
If you wear long sleeves (no jacket required), look into Jeff Copeland's Blackbird.
There are also a number of coin purses that can hold out an extra: Traveler, Quiver, Mobius, Himber style purses....
Or maybe something like the Cosmar coin gimmick.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3168 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks guys. I'll look into these. I appreciate the recommendations.
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3168 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
So, in the meantime, playing around with materials I had around the house, I made something that I think actually ticks all the boxes.

I posted a vid of it in action in Secret Sessions:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=37
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
893 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Secret Servante could attach to your back pocket but you would need a shirt to cover your pocket. It will let you ditch and retrieve multiple coins with zero reset. It’s my baby so feel free to pm any questions
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
senno52
View Profile
Regular user
new york
134 Posts

Profile of senno52
This looked interesting, I haven't pick one up yet though.

https://patrickkun.com/products/quiver-minimal-coin-holder
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3168 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2019, simplymagicweb wrote:
Secret Servante could attach to your back pocket but you would need a shirt to cover your pocket. It will let you ditch and retrieve multiple coins with zero reset. It’s my baby so feel free to pm any questions

Thanks, I've received several recommendations for this. It does sound very good. I think it's probably on top of my list so far.

Quote:
On Jul 28, 2019, senno52 wrote:
This looked interesting, I haven't pick one up yet though.

https://patrickkun.com/products/quiver-minimal-coin-holder

That does look cool actually. Nice looking too. Unfortunately it looks like it only is available for half dollars?
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1934 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
That does look cool actually. Nice looking too. Unfortunately it looks like it only is available for half dollars?

I'd be worried about the elastic holding up over time. I watched both videos at the link above and he mentions it might be a bit tight at first but will loosen up...
To me that means eventually it could get _too_ loose.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3168 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
You have a point. I actually just made one using a design inspired by some of these ideas. It's leather, folds up using magnets like the envelope thing I made, but has elastic like the Quiver one. I'll PM pics if anyone wants to see.

But at least with mine I can just make a new one if it gets too loose. Gonna keep playing with prototypes. Having fun creating stuff...
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3168 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
After a few prototypes, I've come up with a very functional 'Coin Dropper'. Works for 1 silver dollar or 2-3 halves. Dispenses right into finger palm and most importantly doesn't require cover. It somewhat resembles a patch, or at the least looks similar to something that someone might carry a pocketknife or keys in. Basically, it hides the coin without needing to be covered by a shirt or jacket. Drops the coin and then it snaps shut magnetically after dispensing the coin.

https://i.imgur.com/duyLy6L.mp4

Not sure if it would be of interest to others, but it works perfectly for the routine I needed it for!
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Recomendation for a coin holdout? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL