The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Elllusionist, Harrison Greenbaum and Marc DeSouza (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Folks:
Marc DeSouza is well-respected in the worldwide magic community. So, his words and thoughts have a significant impact. With that in mind, I'd ask that you take a moment and read his post from this morning:

Hi All,

Well, after a week of this crap about elluionist and Lloyd Barnes stealing Harrison Greenbaum's effect without permission and marketing it for a second time, I need to publicly comment on it. First, I did contact ellusionist and had some e-mails back and forth with their "customer relation" person. I did not hear directly from either Brad or Geraint, only their messages. They released it a while ago and took it off the market when confronted with the fact that the effect was Harrison's and the method was Asi Wind's. Now they are marketing it again as FU2, and it is a big FU to Harrison. THey admitted that the effect was Harrison's. They had that posted on their own website. I am certain that they were ****ed because they were stuck with a whole lot of decks of cards they had printed for it and tried to come up with a way of weaseling out of the situation. They put it out with an inferior method, you have to force the card. However, the effect is the same. I went to Lloyd Barnes' FB page where he posts a very long commentary. It is total ********. It is a thief trying to justify his theft. Read it for yourself. BTW, I commented twice on that page and Lloyd saw fit to delete my posts both times. I guess the harsh truth is a little tough to take and he didn't want his followers to be confused by the facts, as opposed to his ramblings and ridiculous attempts at justifying his theft. The David Sleaze routine he brings up has no bearing on Harrison's effect. Watch it. It is a very standard pick a card, then the revelation and then he says FU to the audience member. This in no way resembles Harrison's effect in which the FU is part and parcel of the actual revelation. The fact that Harrison's revelation is peeling a sticker off the card vs Lloyd's fine print revelation at the bottom of the card is equally ridiculous. It is like saying that your color changing deck is different because you changed the deck from blue to red, instead of from red to blue.
Harrison created his routine over ten years ago. He has been performing it professionally in his repertoire for at least nine years. it is his. The fact that he chose to keep it for himself and not market it or give anyone the right to perform it is his prerogative. He can use Asi's method, because Asi marketed it. He cannot sell the method, nor can ellusionist. They didn't want to **** off Asi. They don't seem to have a problem ****ing off Harrison who confronted them both times and very publicly, at least in magic social media. Harrison only stated the facts and published what ellusionist representatives posted themselves or said. Now they are trying to back track it and rewrite the history of it.
Bottom line, Lloyd Barnes and ellusionist are thieves. They stole a routine right out of a professional's act. They were confronted about it on both occasions and have chosen to continue to sell it. Shame on them. It is just that type of attitude that destroys the art of magic. It is what prevents creators from sharing their work with other magicians. It is everything wrong about the business of magic, let alone art.
Consequently, I am severing my ties with ellusionist. I do not want to be associated with their kind. I have requested that they stop selling my products and creations in any form. I have asked them to remove my name and likeness from anywhere on their website and social media platforms. Now I am going to ask you to do something that may be difficult. I am asking all of you to contact ellusionist and tell them they need to stop selling stolen goods, in particular FU2. I am asking you to tell them that if they continue business in this fashion, you will no longer support them. I want you to tell them that you will no longer buy any products from them. And, I want you to write to all of your magic friends and ask them to do the same. I believe that by providing a united effort and tell them the magic community will not support thieves, they may get the message.
Thank you for reading this and thank you in advance for taking the time to help rectify a true wrong and maybe, just maybe, help our great art/craft in the process.
Marc DeSouza
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7349 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
BRAVO.. FOR MAKING THIS SITUATION KNOWN!!! To many pros have been ripped off over the years with routines that they had worked years and years to perfect.
Thanks for speaking up Marc and thanks to Steve for reposting this.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In many cases it is quite difficult to trace methods to creators. Sometimes even independent invention has happened which really muddied the waters.

This seems pretty clear. I say pretty clear as to allow that another side exists. Even allowing for that it seems pretty rough for them. Sad to see this happen. It is tough enough to create and not very profitable in the first place. Getting ripoed off for your trouble helps nobody.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
341 Posts

Profile of MJE
As clear as it seems to be, I hope we'll get the other side of the story from someone. There must be one. If there isn't, there's no controversy, and it appears that there is controversy.
Rymagician
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Rymagician
"As clear as it seems to be, I hope we'll get the other side of the story from someone. There must be one. If there isn't, there's no controversy, and it appears that there is controversy." - MJE

The other side of the story is Lloyd's Facebook post which Marc is referencing.
)2yan
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea but nobody wants to have to hunt it down like a magazine article.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Was quite happy to see this tonight, but I imagine no where near as happy as Harrison was:

https://twitter.com/Asiwind/status/1157425614581710848?s=09

"I got many comments on the FU trick, and I wanted to set the record straight. I saw Harrison Greenbaum perform the FU plot for many years, the plot is rightly his. I think Ellusionist should come to a resolution with him because I believe it’s the right thing to do."
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Elllusionist, Harrison Greenbaum and Marc DeSouza (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL