The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looooooooong color changing rope? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13884 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I’m incorporating the old color changing rope into some of my kid’s routines. The fact is, I haven’t purchased or used this effect since the 70’s. I believe I purchased it back then from Tannen’s catalog. But that was decades ago.

Anyway, I had a hankering to revive it for my kid shows, so I looked online for the effect and found some reviews that they are not all created equal, quality wise. I found complaints about shabby workmanship on some products. So I went to a reputable shop, namely Big Guy’s, and purchased one. It arrived today, and it is well made, no problems there. But it’s way too short. Only about a foot. I recall the one I bought from Tannen’s way back then was much longer.

Can anybody recommend a place or a link where I can purchase one of GOOD QUALITY, yet generously longer than the mere one foot length?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21944 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have never seen a CCR that is any longer then that, as the change will not work if it is longer. Zanadu magic company made the 1st models way back when.

I don't think quality is the issue with most people. It is their handling of the prop. My only concern was there was not way to preset the rope so all you had to do was pick it up or remove it from your pocket and you were ready to perform it.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13884 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It was a long time ago. Decades, really. So I guess my memory is faulty. *sigh*
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13884 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
And I agree about what you said about not being able to preset it. That was one of the first things to occur to me when I started messing around with the new prop. It would be very cool to have it preset in my pocket ready to go at a moments notice, but I don’t see a way. I.ll have to brainstorm it.

It’s like another rope classic that I do, where you tie a knot in the center of a rope and a watch instantly appears in the knot. I do that a lot for kids “Ok, kids, it’s TIME for magic!’

But I’m sure you are familiar with it, and there is no practical way to preset it in your pocket, so you have to secretly preset, and it has to be your opening trick.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21944 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, I like your watch "Time" idea, good thinking.

Actually, the CCR cannot be preset, as the outer rope sheath has to stay springy. If it gets creases, then it will not work as fast. There are ways around it, like attach the rope to the inside of your case or table. Then when you reach for it, just pass your hand along the rope, then move your hand up and remove the other end.

If in a pocket, make it feel like your hand is stuck in your pocket, hold the rope through your pants, and draw your hand out. All set to go.

When I use to do the effect, I would change the color then move hands inward and clip the red rope between the 1st and 2nd finger tips. Then release my grip from the little finger hold on each end. Then move the 2 fingers holding the red rope up, showing the complete rope stretched out between the fingers very fairly.

This is one of those tricks that is the closest we can come to performing real magic.

countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
828 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi Bill, my, your phrase about it being so magical..... makes me want to learn and perform it again. we all owe you for this. God bless u!!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13884 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I also remember my color changing silks. (Got those from Tannen’s, too.) But to me, the changed silk looks kind of “fakey,” now that I look back on it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3052 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The sheath doesn't have to be made from "rope". You'll find that a silk sheath (made from an old beat-up silk handkerchief) works nicely, and comes right off the rope so the rope (about 3 feet long) can be used for rope magic and the sheath can be disposed of as you reach for a ring or a wand. Can't sew? Tiny dots of flexible fabric glue suffice, because no one is going to see the sheath or examine it once the rope has changed color. A magnet embedded in one end of the rope allows you to pull the rope into the sheath at the start using a string with a weight on one end and a magnet on the other.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13884 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I’m pretty good at the arts and crafts side of magic, but that sounds hard! Or tricky at the very least!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
To the OP.... yes your memory is definitely faulty on this. I've had one of these ropes for over 35 years. It is kind of short but the effect is quite startling. The difficulty is trying to make anything of it. On it's own it's a quick visual bit but it's always a challenge to make something of it.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13884 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I know. A quick visual is all I wanted out of it.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
The color changing shoelace can be made quite long and can be set up beforehand. It is very easy to make too.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3052 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The latest trend in shoelaces is to make them flat, when you need them to be hollow tubes. To make color-changing shoelaces, shop for them in local shoe stores rather than on-line, so you can make sure you are getting the tube laces and not flat ones!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21944 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The CCC Shoe Lace is still available, in better colors then the original Black and white from the 1960's. It was always and still in made with original flat shoe laces.

I use to open all my shows as a teenager with it, nice routine back then, don't know what the current routine is, but it sounds familiar.

dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
Doug give Abbott Magic in Michigan a call, (269) 432-3235. They have been around for decades and I've lucked out with them having some old stuff still around.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looooooooong color changing rope? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL