The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell dent help. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
Like a fool ... I dropped my Lassen Triple Threat; now the outermost shell has a very slight dent/scratch on it.
The shell, in certain positions now locks the whole gaff. This I have found to be useful at times, cause I can have the set nested and it is snug and will not drop which allows excellent handling, and if I rotate the outer shell slightly it will release and allow the coin/shell to drop freely and be used as normal.
Now this is all well and good for my personal use; but for resale, its absolutely horrible!
What can I do to fix the outer shell?
It seems like the inner shell/coin left 3 ridges in the outer shell (from the milled edge). Any advice on what to do to get this back to normal would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shell image:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZAoVkxwAuEfTY9mm9
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1975 Posts

Profile of tbaer
This tip is from Todd Lassen. He uses a Bic lighter. The base of the lighter sits flat inside the shell and holds the edge perpendicular to the face and parallel to the shell rim. Pressure is applied to the opposite side with the thumb. A lot of pressure can be generated and concentrated very accurately to the ding area due to the small radius on the edge of the Bic lighter. Use your other hand to rotate the edge of the lighter back and forth in the trouble area while maintaining pressure with your other hand. This should remove the ding.

Here is another tip from other Café members.

Get a magician's silk and place it over the inside part of the shell. Nest the other coin into the shell. Squeeze them together. This should help bend the outside of the shell out. Depending on the thickness of the silk, you may need to double it. To release the nest, hold the edge of the shell and pull the silk out.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
496 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
In worse case you can send it back to Todd and he can fix it. He is a stand up guy and always willing to help.
He most likely will charge a bit to do this but allot less than buying a new one.
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1245 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2019, tbaer wrote:

Here is another tip from other Café members.

Get a magician's silk and place it over the inside part of the shell. Nest the other coin into the shell. Squeeze them together. This should help bend the outside of the shell out. Depending on the thickness of the silk, you may need to double it. To release the nest, hold the edge of the shell and pull the silk out.

Yeah I've used a normal handkerchief rather than a silk, and sometimes doubled it up - it takes time to remove the dent but it'll work.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
Dollar bill and the lighter tip trick should work perfectly:)
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
Thanks for all the advice. I have tried the silk and shell trick, didn't work out for me but I can try it again. The lighter one is new to me, I will give that a go and see how it works out.
I will post back with results.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2225 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2019, Poor dini wrote:

Not dollar bills... Todd has joked about receiving many gimmicks for repair with bills stuck in them.

Here's his Bic Lighter tip:

https://coolotis.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/tool-tips/
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:

Not dollar bills... Todd has joked about receiving many gimmicks for repair with bills stuck in them.

Thank you for providing the link
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1007 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:

that's a link to the squisher. 🙂
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9195 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2019, TC Ryder wrote:
In worse case you can send it back to Todd and he can fix it. He is a stand up guy and always willing to help.
He most likely will charge a bit to do this but allot less than buying a new one.

TC, my man! 😁👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Doubled-up magician’s silk does the trick.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2225 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2022, PapaG wrote:

Did you read the comments posted 3 years ago?

He tried the silk and it didn't help:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......um=202#5
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2022, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2022, PapaG wrote:

Did you read the comments posted 3 years ago?

He tried the silk and it didn't help:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......um=202#5

It just worked for me.

Having also found — and used — that advice in this thread, I'm also not so solipsistic to think that I shouldn't share that information with other magicians.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1459 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I imagine inigmntoya read your comment as a suggestion to try it, rather than a statement of it solving your problem.

I read it the same way - because you didn't imply in any way that you'd had issues or that you'd used this to fix something. It sounded like you were proposing the idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell dent help. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL