The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quarter-sized copper or brass coins for Stack of Halves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
468 Posts

Profile of karnak
Just picked up Johnson’s Stack of Halves. Maybe it’s just me, but turning them into a stack of quarters seems somehow less than truly striking. There’s just not that much of a visual difference. Relatively subtle.

With their Stack of Quarters, which changes into a stack of pennies, not only is there a change in size, but also in color (silver to copper). It just seems to “pop” more to the eye.

So now I’m wondering: for the Stack of Halves, instead of turning them into quarters, maybe they could change into quarter-sized copper coins? Or even brass coins (especially if they had Chinese-coin-style holes in their centers)? Seems like that would pack a bit (a lot?) more punch.

Which leads to my question: what are my choices?

Can anyone point me toward specific foreign copper or brass (ideally with hole) coins that are the same exact size as a quarter? Or maybe slightly less, but certainly no more (since obviously they must fit inside my Stack of Halves, which is machined to snugly fit quarters?)

Something like a “Chinatown Quarter” might be ideal (but ungaffed, and cheap, since I’d need a small stack of them).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8506 Posts

Profile of funsway
I agree on the visual impact of the larger coins. I have always used Brass President coins or State coins. They used to come with board into which you pressed the coins
as a learning tool. Picked up as set of 50 coins for $12 on eBay.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
468 Posts

Profile of karnak
I rummaged around the cheap foreign coin bin at a local coin dealer, and found just what I needed: quarter-sized copper East Asian coins that look nothing like quarters.

I don't know if they're Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or what, but their denomination is "10," and a stack of them fits inside my hollow Johnson Stack of Halves perfectly.

Much more eye-popping to transform a stack of silvery Kennedy halves into a stack of copper coins bearing Chinese characters, than just into a stack of silvery quarters.

Six of them fit inside the Stack of Halves, whereas only five quarters would fit, so they're just slightly thinner.

Picked them up for a quarter ($0.25) apiece.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
468 Posts

Profile of karnak
For the record, a little online research identified these as Japanese 10 yen coins.
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
East African 5 cent (I believe that’s the denomination) also the old sterling Chinese coins fit a quarter (old style shell)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26945 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What is the diameter of your working space in the gaff?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
468 Posts

Profile of karnak
Offhand I don’t know. But it’s only slightly bigger than a quarter, so whatever coins the stack turns into must be no larger than a quarter in diameter.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21958 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Classically, the Stack of Halves and Quarters are used for the Lipzig Pride effect. Coins through spectator's hand. Johnny Thompson has very nice routine using the stack of coins, and I learned how to make a cone out of dollar bill. You can find the effect besides in Lipzig's book, in other books and DVDs.

Also the penetration of a dice or cork is an interesting change along with stack of coins. Classic version is ending with a stack of dimes. I have a silver quarter set, an English Penny stack from Supreme Magic, a Half dollar set. All work well. I even carved a wooden form cone to place in the leather cone, just like Dai Vernon explained to use as misdirection, and for the cone to keep it's shape.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
468 Posts

Profile of karnak
I just discovered Roger Klause’s “Whisper” variant, which is pretty cool. A penny is placed atop the stack, which goes onto the back of the spectator’s hand. The coins of the stack penetrate their hand, and when the cone (made of a dollar bill, like Bill mentioned) is lifted, the penny alone remains on their hand. A nice touch, kind of reminiscent of Ramsey’s Cylinder and Coins, in a backwards sort of way.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26945 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Both the English Half Penney and Russian Five Kopec coins are slightly larger than a quarter. Some antique Chinese coins (and replicas) are about quarter sized though since they are molded you have to be selective or willing to grind them down a little. Please measure your gaff carefully in millimeters. Maybe the pea from a shell game setup might work for you. Smile

Is this about transforming a pile of coins into something? The penetration of coins through hand (or table)? Or the puzzle of the marker? The very old coins-through-table (there's a thread on this and the handling) used a die. Nate Leipzig used a dime. Charles Bertram (Modern Conjuror) used a die. The Ramsay routine has two phases, and while you could do the second phase alone as a penetration ... Smile a challenge. Smile

If this is about changing a coin (or several) alone with (or without) a smaller coin on top if the pile - Steve Dusheck had some work on that effect in his Shellebration and Shell Shocked Silver items.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
60 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
East African nickels and English 1/2 pennies will do the job perfectly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quarter-sized copper or brass coins for Stack of Halves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL