The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fire When ready - John Bannon (a Magic Portal review) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Fire When Ready - John Bannon
$25.00
https://bigblindmedia.com/products/fire-......95804721

The Hype:
After the best selling smash hit releases "Bullets After Dark" and "Bullet Party", John Bannon is finally ready to close out his "Bullet" trilogy. The third and final entry is "Fire When Ready", a veritable feast of card magic delights. Fueled by Bannon's inimitable style of easy-to=achieve, yet staggeringly powerful card magic, this is a project you NEED!

Over an immense 180 minute running time, Fire When Ready will arm you with some of the strongest card magic imaginable. From Bannon's go-to opener for more than a decade "Line of Sight" to the impossibly clean think of a card, "Proxy Shock". The ten featured routines are audaciously constructed and require only the most basic sleight of hand., yet they are tricks that are destined to be in your arsenal for EVER!

Proxy Shock - They think of a card. The deck is shuffled. It looks like you miss....then BOOM! They realize they were just being set up for the sucker punch.

Rock the 'Voque - A spectator reads your mind, bit by bit, nailing the card you thought of...and you can prove it.

Mundo - All the impact of "Out of This World", but in a small packet, and with a twist that will fool EVERYONE!

Cut and Run - Produce the Four Aces from a deck repeatedly shuffled and cut....by your SPECTATOR! This is a killer utility!

Hybrid Holdout - Your participant shuffles and cuts. Top stock: Controlled?

Stealth Aces - A classic Ace Assembly that combines easy handling with a devious construction!

Big Fat Bluff aces - John's hidden gem. This assembly is a showpiece, and features several astonishing kickers, and will leave EVERYONE reeling - laymen and magicians alike!

Blues Alley Jokers - Truly shocking appearance of Jokers sandwiching a selected card.

Clean Out of Sight - Vernon's classic bets the Bannon treatment - a spectator shuffles and thinks of a card, without you touching a thing. The, following the spectator's intuition, you zero in on a card they've genuinely thought of, and never named. BOOM!

Question Zero - A borrowed, shuffled deck. A thought of card. Zero questions, maximum bang for minimal buck!

Line of Sight - What does open his card sets with? Line of sight. And you will see why! John teaches all the tips that make this shocking moment of mental car magic work, with the pack in
the spectator's hands.

My take: Whenever I go to my mailbox and there is a new Bannon disk waiting for me, I know it is going to be a good day. So, yep, today is going to be a good one. Over the years I am awed by the quantity and quality of the material John has released. After watching some of his Move Zero DVD's. I even went out and purchased the book, "Destination Zero", which had lots of good stuff not tipped in the series.

One of the most likeable things about John is his demeanor and presentation. He is laid back and unpretentious, you just know you would like to sit and share a beer with him. If the rah-rah-rah of SansMind and similar get on your nerves, pick up a Brannon and relax. So, if you are not the loud and effusive type, this could be just what you are looking for. And, if you are, the routines will be adaptable to your style.

As a reviewer, I get a lot of DVD's and cannot possibly keep them all (and stay married!), but I have kept every one of John DVD's that I have been sent. Any one would give you more than enough for a full performance but if you accumulate more than one, you can become deadly. My only regret is that this is the third in a series of three and I don't have the first two. My loss.The only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that the Hybrid Holdout is mentioned as a separate item on the case while it is actually described in one of the routines. A while back, John offered a free download of a tutorial video on the Holdout (if you owned a particular DVD) which described it in much more detail. Nice move but you are taught just what is needed for this routine.

This is a collection of ten routines, each of which is a worker. Each is taught in detail with all the subtleties pointed out and explained.
Let me hit each of them briefly.

Proxy Shock - You will love his use of Gary Oulette's touch force. I was unfamiliar with this but now know how to use it not only to force the card of my choice but as a card switch. Nice move.

Rock the 'Vogue - Of course it is Equivoque, but John eliminates some of the major weaknesses.

Mundo - Out of This World has been named quite a lot as one of the best card tricks ever invented but I have always had some problems with it. First of all, it's too long. Second, you have to count to 26 as your spectator lays down the cards. Both problems no longer exist in this version.

Cut and Run - Your spectator actually shuffles the cards in small packets yet, using the Hybrid Holdout, you are able to control the needed cards. You are also taught Frank Thompson's false cut. Easy and this is one you will be using.

Stealth Aces - Nice classic ace assembly accomplished with an easy to do subtlety. You probably already have an assembly you use but if you just need something quick and easy to understand, this is a good choice.

Big Fat Bluff Aces - Another easy assembly but when the Ace packet is turned over, it has changed to the four kings and the four Aces are shown to have returned to the original packets. Nice Reset type of plot. Probably my favorite of the set.

Blues Alley Jokers - A nice sandwich effect but I found the name a bit confusing. John uses jacks for the sandwich and Jokers do not make an appearance. Still, a good routine.

Clean Out of Sight - John's take on Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind (which in turn was Vernon's version of A Mind Reading Trick" from Erdnase.) To me it has the feel of the 21 card trick.

Question Zero - Truly no questions are asked yet John finds the selection. This trick features a probability that I have seen used in percentage bets. Different outcomes might require a little different handling but nothing difficult.

Line of Sight - As his opener, John has written patter designed to draw your spectator in. He demonstrates how deliberately making a mistake in naming the card makes it more believable. Not self working but not hard either.

The disk finishes with two files called Glimpses in which John gives two alternate methods to accomplish the necessary move in Line of Sight.

Conclusion: Nice set of effects, none hard to do and they will fool. Good addition to your Bannon library.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Nice review Jim, as always.
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Just got it.. Hope it holds up to your review. I've been impressed with the last three or four dvd's from Bannon and BBM..
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fire When ready - John Bannon (a Magic Portal review) (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL