The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Today I was opening a #10 can of pickles with my wall-mounted Daisy can opener made in 1926.
In past decades I have used electronic openers, battery ride-arounds, P38, various plier types and
modern wall mounts patterned after the Daisy. None of these new copies last year,

Simple question. Why can't modern manufacturing techniques. metallurgy, and computerization produce a can opener as good at the 1926 model?
Surely the patent has expired. Just copy it.

It is simple, it works every time on any size can and the mount even accepts a knife sharper that also works. Swivels out of the way too.

I have a second one made in 1952 that is exactly the same design. What happened since???
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Planned failure.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Cheapness. Cutting corners to increase profits.

(Pickles come in cans?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Dazey made big wall mount, table mount, and then the little countertop electric openers.
Here's what I could cobble together as a guess for now:
About the same years as you mentioned frozen food started getting to markets. New homes got electricity and a refrigerator and a freezer.
Then the agribusiness marketed their own flashfrozen items (ho ho ho green giant) which went from their factory right to the supermarkets along the newly built interstates.
So Dazey's market is down to prepared foods like canned ravioli and soups- smaller cans and countertop sales.
And then institutional food preparers started selling complete meals ready to heat in oven or microwave.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
The bean counters finally realized that the longer a product lasts, future revenue declines. Some savvy companies cope through on going product enhancements, increasing their market share, or cost reductions. Common utility products such as a can opener doesn't present many options other than cost reductions that can and often does result in a shorter life cycle with the need for more frequent replacement.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That is what you get when you demand equality.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Well, actually, in 1961 Daisy went out of business,..
because fewer and fewer folks needed a 'new' can opener.

Kinda,
kicked their own can.

Funny story about the can opener.
The tin can was around 40 years(!),
before the can opener was invented. (🙃)
Gallagher

p.s.: Their IS, however, a NEW can-opener design(!).
A 'Safety Can Opener',..kinda like this: "iheyfill safety can opener".

What's cool with them is:
1. The cut can-top has NO sharp edge.
2. You can use the cut off can-top, as a lid,
for the can(!).

They are pretty cool.

p.s.s.: "Yes we can!
...if we just had a good opener."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2019, tommy wrote:
That is what you get when you demand equality.

I believe the OP was demanding can opener quality, not can opener equality.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes, but I believe he is too late.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL