The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Estimation/Guestimation (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zipposrsa
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Zipposrsa
Hi All,

I am hoping that the collective brilliance, that the Café has, can point me in the right direction.

When asking a spectator to name a card and locating it in the Mnemonic stack, I would love to hear thoughts on the best method.

I use either a Scam card or a breather crimp, cut 9 of D to the face. I now know where to cut to get to the named card.

That is the first cut, Now is my problem! I always have to do 3/4 or more cuts to get selected card to the top. First cut I am 2 or 3 off and then I am not sure how to go from there.

I either battle with a double undercut using my little finger to count of a couple of cards or a I do an awkward shuffle (a couple of cards from top to bottom)

I have seen Juan Tamariz, Woody Aragon and the likes always do it in basically 2 cuts (every time)

Is there any resource I could go to, or advise you guys can offer.

Thanks a Mill

mike
8 days a week !
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of swayne100
I think Michael Close's book on men deck work is exactly what you're looking for. I think its called Road to Riffsville or something like that
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1457 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I have both the Maigret system and the Close book. For me, whilst there is merit in the Maigret system it is not something I personally find I need to use thanks to diligent practice and the information in the Close book.

I recommend both but if you had to choose just one then get the Close book as it will help you a great deal.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1177 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I fully agree that the Close book will help you a great deal with the (old) system "estimate, peek and adjust". A system that has proven its merits in the past and still proves it.
However, comparing with the Maigret System (System-C) is like comparing apples to oranges.

With the Maigret System you don't have to "estimate" and to "peek" and possibly to "adjust".
Without a peek you are always 100% within 2 seconds at the right card; You can even do it blindfolded. All these things are simply not possible with the old system.
"not having to look" is so important!

In summary, I would like to say that everyone who works with a memorized deck must have mastered the system of "estimate, peek and adjust". The Close book is therefore certainly useful and a must for every beginner.

However, if you then want to work more refined and more sophisticated, the System-C is a leap forward.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Estimation/Guestimation (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL