The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (268 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..15~16~17 [Next]
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1408 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Last Laugh,

I'm really enjoying the podcasts and hope you keep 'em a-coming!

You made an off-hand comment on the segment interviewing our esteemed colleague, Iain, that can't go unchallenged though. You indicated that the pronunciation of Latin is unknown, or something to that effect.

That's not exactly true. Thanks to the vast wealth of Roman poetry which has survived for over two millennia, and knowing that poets then (just like today) employed rhyming, alliteration and other phonetic devices, scholars have quite a few clues to work with in deducing what it must have sounded like. And of course, just like the offspring of a human being often shows similarities to the parent, likewise our modern Romance languages (especially Italian) also tell us quite a bit about the tongue from which they came.

I'd be willing to bet Iain would have no trouble interesting the mentalists of Rome with a book entitled "Behold! I speak!" announced in their own language.

But in all seriousness, linguists have quite a few secrets too which seem miraculous to the rest of us. Incidentally, I took up the study of Latin at age 65, and at the outset spent quite a bit time mastering what's now called the Reconstructed Classical Pronunciation. Should I bump into a time machine, I'll report back if Julius Caesar and I managed to strike up a conversation.

Now, back to mentalism...and keep up the great work!

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thomas:
Wow, now that is really interesting! I had no idea, that's great info. I am always grateful to stand corrected.

To all:
A new episode is forthcoming very soon. The power outages and fires have not only set my technical production back but also kept my kids home which, in turn, sets production back.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2705 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I happen to know that your next guest did Classical Studies. He can confirm that what Thomas just posted is correct! The same goes for Classical Greek. It's pretty far off from our pronunciation at school and at uni.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Finally got the latest episode out!

I talked to a certain someone who you might be familiar with from this here forum! In this episode, he is finally 'Unmasked'.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcas......willemse

Maarten (who's name I managed to butcher, despite my best intentions) is one of the top corporate entertainers in The Netherlands. He is a great guy, warm, funny and really interesting. He's got a very unique approach to the mystery arts and his origin story is a great tale.

Enjoy!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks for having me, Matt! In regards to butchering my name: I returned the favor by butchering the English language as a whole, I noticed. So we’re good.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Lol. Not at all. You speak more fluently than many native speakers... I think I finally figured out the 'aa' sound. Right after I finished recording.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I will personally verify that, ladies and gentlemen. I will report back.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The interview with Maarten is wonderful!! I particularly enjoyed the second half.

Very much looking forward to you having another interview with Maarten to learn more about his "no cold calling" approach to growing his performance business.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah definitely! Drew B had a bunch of business notes we didn't get to also. Maybe a business super show!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I’m up for that, Matt! Sounds like fun!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
My favorite episode so far!
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
Would love to see a business call with Maarten.

And perhaps another business call with Drew B
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, snm wrote:
Would love to see a business call with Maarten.

And perhaps another business call with Drew B

Yeah most definitely will aim to make that happen!

Mindvention recap episode is out now.

Besides having a great time at MV, I also got at least 5 people to agree to come on the show.

Good things a-comin'
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Niceness!!!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Really enjoyed your de-brief on Mindvention! For someone who has never been, and may not ever go, this was enlightening.

That's really disappointing to hear one of the vendors had a 50% fail rate when attempting to demonstrate their electronic effects. I've not really ever been into electronics and this would be the main reason why.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

50% fail? That sounds more like a propless number... Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I really enjoyed this episode as well, Matt. I think you're a great storyteller. I was driving from Amsterdam to Utrecht, but it felt like spending 3 days in Vegas. Smile
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
50% fail? That sounds more like a propless number... Smile

hahaha....

To be fair, I guess it was like 50% fail on the first attempt. Some of them worked after a little tinkering.

But...yeah.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
You guys are brutal on the propless stuff lol.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

To be fair Phedon’s jokes about anything that involves props are better. But don’t ever mention to him I said that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (268 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL