The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (268 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1722 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
If you do please keep us posted! I've taken punts on stuff too often lately, spent good money and been disappointed, so if Aaron doesn't bother to chime in here I'm not going to take a chance again. In my experience if there isn't a clear description of what a spectator sees and experiences it's usually not worth much... in this case however I'm still curious because Aaron claims his stuff falls outside of "normal" mentalism. So still (mildly) intrigued.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Great episode. One things still eludes me... what does Alexander DO on stage? He makes very strong statements about how magical the experience is for the audience/participants, but my one question would be: what do people SEE that are watching it?

I agree with The Unmasked Magician.

I would like to know what Alexander does on stage and what he does in other context too. Besides, I would like to know which effects/demonstrations/experiences from other creators he thinks are fitting his philosophy.
What would a real mindreader do?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I can't speak for him (and I don't think he's on the Café much) but my impression is that I don't think he puts standard magic/mentalism effects in the same category as what he does. I think the significant thing in the interview was when I ask about his relationship to deception. It starts at about 18:48.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Yeah, I agree that that’s where he made a clear statement on how he sees/does things differently. Have you seen him perform, Matt? Or see a performance of one of his effects by someone else?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Other than the demonstrations in the Psync course, no. I have heard praise from pros about Bridge but haven't seen it or purchased it. I read Ant Queen (which I believe he still gives away for free). It uses 'anchoring' in an interesting way. Basically a way to use suggestion and awareness techniques to create a positive experience for the subject.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Ok, thanks!
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
I've seen Bridge and Push performance footage. I'd say they seem comparable to some other suggestion-style mentalism, like Lift.

I'm in the process of reading Zodiac Killer. He has a very conversational method that feels like a more organic (albeit a bit more verbose) star sign revelation than some a*****m systems. I may actually start trying it out this weekend.

Ant Queen uses some very interesting perception conditioning to anchor positive emotions onto a specific location on a participant's body using your own as a reference and reflection point. It's intriguing stuff that has a lot of interesting concepts grounded in sensation and perception psychology. I haven't tried it yet.

He does have a tendency to get very meta and wax philosophical in his writing, but it never made me groan or roll my eyes. He will also occasionally dance around a point without actually explicitly stating it, but it's never frustrating. It just made me reflect on the writing in greater depth. I think that it all speaks more to his enigmatic nature than anything. I've enjoyed his writing so far and I may apply his Zodiac Killer method. I'll report back if I do.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Magic is the gift we teach ourselves to give to other people-
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2433 Posts

Profile of 252life
I have some of his work, and I doubt it’s everyone’s cup of mental. I think of it as deep end hypnosis.
But..I’ve been really curious about Psync (?). Just can’t justify the price until I hear more.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2433 Posts

Profile of 252life
Silversleights04 Stated it better lol

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Thanks, Silver! Great to learn more about what these effect actually are.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Oh, and thank you too 252. You tried as well Smile
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2433 Posts

Profile of 252life
Lol we both know I do the minimum

-Theodore Annemann
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
One things still eludes me... what does Alexander DO on stage?

Waking hypnosis.

Not on stage, he overcharges and does not get to the point. I almost fell asleep during that podcast. His products are also full of filler.

You are better of buying Ormond McGill's "The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism" and other classics containing waking hypnosis.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1035 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I use his “bridge” often, it’s great. And I’ve used push off and on. He doesn’t call it hypnosis as that’s not where he’s coming from exactly, but it’s very much in that category. I also found the episode kind of trying as he didn’t want to really talk about anything. I did a podcast which him a number of years ago. I have his book, lots of good thinking in it. The funny thing to me is how effectively this got you all talking on here.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of ipe
You can read my short review about PSYNC here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......start=80
What would a real mindreader do?
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 19, 2020, Matt Pulsar wrote:
The funny thing to me is how effectively this got you all talking on here.

I couldn't agree more, I legitimately think his enigmatic nature is meant to arouse curiosity and spark conversation. I still might be giving him too much credit, but if it is an intentional manner then well played!
-Magic sees Magic-

The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Thanks for sharing, guys. Sounds too depending on a certain kind of spectators, a certain atmosphere and also too slow and unspectacular for me. I’ll pass. Even though that means there won’t be any “real” magic in my show. Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3925 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It comes down to a) who you are as a performer and b) the focus of your show.

We met for coffee had a long conversation one day several years ago and I remember discussing his various ideas -- Bridge foremost among them. We talked about the philosophy behind the concepts and as I recall he even attempted a demonstration on me. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind, because it didn't work. But I DO remember trying to work out how exactly this effect would fit into my show. How would it be an entertaining segment? What would it demonstrate about the volunteer I was with? Would it be consistent with the rest of what I do on stage...or would it just be me 'showing off' -- which is something that is usually only entertaining for the performer?

Understand I am not running down the thinking of the book or the power of the effect. He gave me one of his books and I found much of the thinking in there to be remarkable and quite outside the standard mentalism stuff. From that perspective, it was interesting. I am always trying to APPLY what I learn -- particularly when a new idea comes up. I didn't find a new application here for me -- and that statement is made in the certain knowledge that other performers DO have success with it.

It is an excellent discussion -- and you are to be commended for the work you're doing with that podcast. Keep it up, fella.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Thanks for sharing, guys. Sounds too depending on a certain kind of spectators, a certain atmosphere and also too slow and unspectacular for me. I’ll pass. Even though that means there won’t be any “real” magic in my show. Smile

I did try out Ant Queen on a friend of a friend I was introduced to in a social setting recently and the reaction I got was lackluster, to say the least. "Oh yeah, weird. Well, alright, cool... but that's just like positive psychology, isn't it?" "Yeah, can you show her the superhero mindreading one? (Atlas Brookings Comicle) Or that one where I'm thinking of your pocket change? (Exact Change by Gregory Wilson)." (side note: does anyone else get frustrated when friends or family request that you show someone else a strong effect by describing its climax?)

It could have been the setting, something about my presentation, or the fact that they had been primed by my friend to see something amazing and they got to have a trip down memory lane instead, but they were notably underwhelmed. Like there was a lot of speaking, thinking, feeling, and reflecting, but nothing truly amazing happened for them in the end. It felt like the reaction a therapist might get in casual conversation with someone about a positive recollection of theirs. I may try adding it into another effect for some depth, or as a pseudo explanation, like some kind of thought/feeling association routine, but I'm genuinely not sure if it's right for me at the moment.

I didn't try Zodiac Killer there since, in all honesty, it didn't seem like they wanted more of that type of effect. I went back to the greatest hits and they were thoroughly entertained (which is my goal anyway, mysterious entertainment). These effects really seem to require that you monopolize an individual's attention for a while and the payoff in Ant Queen felt so minimal for the time and attention invested by the participant. We'll see how ZK goes!
-Magic sees Magic-

The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Thank you very much for sharing that experience, Silver! That confirms my gut feeling about this. And yes, I also have had spectators ask me to repeat smth for their friends by describing the climax. Very hard to keep oneself from kicking them in the teeth when they do that Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (268 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL