The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (268 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2431 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Thank you very much for sharing that experience, Silver! That confirms my gut feeling about this. And yes, I also have had spectators ask me to repeat smth for their friends by describing the climax. Very hard to keep oneself from kicking them in the teeth when they do that Smile

Oh.....so I probably shouldn’t be kicking them in the teeth is what you’re implying??
I bet comedians get a version of this also.
“Tell that joke where it turns out it was the cow!”
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2431 Posts

Profile of 252life
Although, that would explain the drop off in shows lately

-Theodore Annemann
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Externally: "Haha, oh, that one? But you already told it so well, it's like I was there watching it! Maybe later if we have time for it, but first..."

Internally: "How about we maybe let the daggon monkey pick his own song and dance and stop shouting Freebird at every concert since this isn't DJ request!? Huh? HOW ABOUT THAT ONE DAAAAAVE?!? Is tHaT aLrIgHt wItH YoU?!?!?"
-Magic sees Magic-

-Magic is the gift we teach ourselves to give to other people-
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Hahahaha

LMAO
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1720 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
252, I have found that once you kicked one spec in the teeth you should immediately show his face to the person who hired you. Explain that that is what also happen to him if he doesn't re-book you within 3 months. This really helps stopping the aforementioned drop off.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

"Remember kids, if you aren't threatening and intimidating your bookers, then you aren't making the full effort to secure their future business! And what's the best way to ensure client loyalty and guarantee repeat business? That's right everyone, say it with me all together now: HOSTAGES!"

Excerpt from my new nonexistent book: A More Hostile Approach to the Business of Showmanship
-Magic sees Magic-

252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2431 Posts

Profile of 252life
Lmao because it’s all rings so true and explains so much!

Be on the lookout for my new book entitled “Mafia Mentalism -because mind reading takes conviction”.
And my new hypnosis release entitled “Oh Yes You’ll Sleep You F&@# -and other effective suggestions for the beginning hypnotist”.
I feel good about these and expect to crash the Penguin site upon release.
The third in the series was inspired by this thread, and will focus entirely on the business side of things, “Securing the Gig! -knot tying techniques for when you really need that *** show!”

I’ll conclude this post now with quiet humiliation as I rise from bed and make coffee.
My regret for this early morning post will be legion I’m sure Smile

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2431 Posts

Profile of 252life
Sorry for side tracking your thread here Matt lol

It’s all Unmasks fault

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2431 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
252, I have found that once you kicked one spec in the teeth you should immediately show his face to the person who hired you. Explain that that is what also happen to him if he doesn't re-book you within 3 months. This really helps stopping the aforementioned drop off.

Pro tip folks!

-Theodore Annemann
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Reviews! OMG Matt! I remember you saying that that was out of your comfort zone, right? Looking forward! I will post a review of this episode soon 😉
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

I was wondering about UPS, so this was a well-timed review, I'll listen on my commute home!
Here's a thought: maybe you could do a poll on your Patreon for popular product review suggestions? So you get at least one feature item review that's a crowdsourced selection?
-Magic sees Magic-

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Reviews! OMG Matt! I remember you saying that that was out of your comfort zone, right? Looking forward! I will post a review of this episode soon 😉

Lol. I even gave some less than favorable reviews, though I won't spoil which ones...

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, Silversleights04 wrote:
I was wondering about UPS, so this was a well-timed review, I'll listen on my commute home!
Here's a thought: maybe you could do a poll on your Patreon for popular product review suggestions? So you get at least one feature item review that's a crowdsourced selection?

Nice, hope you enjoy and find it useful.

I'm definitely open to review suggestions, will have to think about the best way to implement that. In the meantime, I can take suggestions via the podcast email (mysteryartspodcast[at]gmail). I will probably do them intermittently, maybe an all review podcast whenever I've acquired enough new stuff to fill one up.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Latest episode is out, Paul Draper!

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/19-paul-draper

Great episode, very fun and entertaining guy. Side note, this video he made a while back had me in stitches. You should watch it right now.

Hack lines magicians say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2GH1Ot8SQ
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2431 Posts

Profile of 252life
That hack lines video needed to be done for the good of the art lol.
That link Should be on every magic dealers home page.
Great share Matt.
I can’t imagine a magi alive that won’t laugh/guilty cringe watching it.
The “do me a favor..” line used to be my nemesis.
I remember the moment I lost that verbal tic. Heard myself say it three times to the same person ugh.
The other one was “are you right handed or left handed..”
This could be an interesting thread all on its own.

Now off to the podcast..

-Theodore Annemann
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1034 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I'm amazed that Hack lines video was seven years ago...time flies. I'm guilty of using these: "I wrote this script and I don't remember giving you any lines." "What is your name? ... Correct..." And while I cringe...I'll probably use them again at some point. The thing about some lines is I don't think there are "hack" per-say but more like stock lines. I don't write them into a script but in certain circumstances they can be useful if delivered well. And that said, I do agree that it's best to leave them alone. Enjoyed that re-visit.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
There's a part 2 also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNdVQXHwrRQ

They are a little more in agreement with Matt's comments in the second vid.

In the podcast interview, Paul says that there are some people that are still mad at him about these videos.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
159 Posts

These are hilarious! I've used more than a few of these myself and a ton of them were hilarious reminders of some of my old L&L tapes, like Bill Malone, Daryl, Richard Osterlind, and some of the other old school cools. I've also used my fair share of props "from ancient wherever-the-heck" too Smile

They're the canned lines and dad jokes of magic; they make some people laugh (more than they rightfully should sometimes Smile ), some people groan (as much as they rightfully should every time), and most of us will use them at some point or another. Laugh it off and scroll on sour people Smile
-Magic sees Magic-

The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

What a wonderful interview! I'm only halfway through but I'm loving it.

I really like Paul's take on why magic or mentalism connects to an audience, where he says it has to do with their dreams: a crowd of coal miners in Montana doesn't give a bleep about mind reading but is captured by changing $ 1 into $ 100, because that's their dream. While an Apple vice-president really couldn't care less about money multiplying, as he makes much more that what you created even in the short amount of time in which you created it. His dream is to be able to make predictions, influence people, read them, etc. So he will like mentalism. Veru sharp observation, I feel.

I also love his view on how magic, storytelling, singing and dancing are great assets for doctors. IMO that's a really holistic view of us as humans, of human interaction and what healing entails. I think it is a much more meaningful way of looking at it than the strictly scientific way modern day society tends to judge everything by. You could really tell Paul's background in studying anthropology and various cultures there, I felt.

Like I said: I'm only halfway through. But I already feel the urge to thank you both, Paul and Matt. Wonderful stuff.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
246 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Thank you everyone for your kind comments!

Best,
Paul
http://www.MentalMysteries.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (268 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL