The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (267 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
246 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
If you like this interview please consider checking out my lectures at Penguin and Murphys:

Paul Draper LIVE ACT
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11301

Paul Draper LIVE: Cold Reading
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2872

At the Table Live Lecture Paul Draper
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19686

Best,
Paul
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Aaaand here's another episode!

I spoke to Curtis Waltermire (aka Curtis the Mentalist) and he shared some great advice on comedy mentalism, tips on how to improve as a performer, and some underutilized but highly effective business strategies.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcas......s-advice
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Hey look, the next episode is already out! It wasn't even 7 days this time!

I spoke to Jared Kopf for this episode and it was very... expansive. We got deep into the potential of magic/mentalism as an art form. Definitely inspiring.

I didn't even get his origin story or ask really any of my standards questions. The man can talk - AND he's worth listening to! A rare combo.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcas......red-kopf
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
There’s a lot of great stuff in the Curtis Waltermire episode. Well done. Looking forward to listening to your chat with Jared.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I've really been enjoying these interviews.

Matt Pulsar, yours was a great listen!

I also enjoyed Ian Dunford and Christopher Taylor, haven't heard them all yet.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
New episode featuring ^^^^ Mystic Alexandre! The subject is Meta(physical) Mentalism!

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcas......lexandre

Also out today is a new Patreon subscriber episode (I know, *finally*) where Alexandre teaches two excellent remote viewing effects that can be done over the phone. Side note, there was a weird audio error with the first upload of the Patreon episode. I replaced it fairly quickly but it's possible that it hit your RSS before I changed it. If you got it automatically in your feed and it's got weird whistle after a few minutes, just delete and redownload.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I don't listen to podcasts too often, except when I have a longer drive. I had 4 hours of driving yesterday and listened to a couple of the history ones and the Paul Draper one. Great job with them. Looking forward to more drives!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks Seth!

Listening to podcasts makes me look forward to walking my dogs and *almost* to doing chores. Glad I can pay it forward a little.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Loyal user
Randolph NJ
243 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Just got up to date and listened to the last two. Both great but I disagree with Kopf about one thing. Color Monte is an awesome effect! The C/A alignment aside, many of us here have gotten tremendous mileage out of that one over the years. As popular as it still is after all this time, it can't be that bad......
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Lol, I'm glad that was the most controversial opinion.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, Last Laugh wrote:
Lol, I'm glad that was the most controversial opinion.

Not even close. So many things are said in the podcast that I have major issues with. But that is a GOOD thing! Don't change a darned thing. I really enjoy this podcast.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah it's funny that I can talk to someone one week who says 'psychics aren't real' and another week someone who considers themselves a psychic and for the most part I can find things to agree with both.

I think the only person I felt a notable moment of disagreement with was Lee Earle, funny enough. I felt like he said a few things that came across fairly cynical and, ethically speaking, that's the stuff that bothers me. But even then, that was only a small piece of the discussion and I don't feel like my job is to really challenge my guests. I'm much more interested in connecting and understanding where they are coming from. The listeners are going to draw their own conclusions anyway.

I have certainly seen my own views evolve a bit through these conversation and I think it's become much more clear to me that having good intentions and being a genuine person, no matter what your beliefs, has so much more impact on others than whether or not you have a disclaimer or 'play it for real'.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
You really said it all.

I am enjoying listening to things I may not necessarily agree with (again, keep doing what you are doing). Lee's talk, like you mentioned, was quite interesting, for a variety of reasons.

I don't want to derail this thread either so I'll just add this: I think having an issue with something said on your podcast can (and has been) a learning experience. I've even slightly changed my mind on things.

Again, great thing and something I look forward to, thanks!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2409 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, Chris K wrote:
You really said it all.

I am enjoying listening to things I may not necessarily agree with (again, keep doing what you are doing). Lee's talk, like you mentioned, was quite interesting, for a variety of reasons.

I don't want to derail this thread either so I'll just add this: I think having an issue with something said on your podcast can (and has been) a learning experience. I've even slightly changed my mind on things.

Again, great thing and something I look forward to, thanks!

Agreed Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Though we all enjoy magic/mentalism, we're still different people, with different experiences that have shaped us one way or another. I don't mind listening to opposing views (I don't have all the answers) and I enjoy listening to the different personalities in our field regardless of their approach.

This podcast delivers.

Thank you, Matt, for approaching these interviews with an admirable openness.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2409 Posts

Profile of 252life
(Sorry for the random hijacking Matt)

My bookings went from a comfortable 100mph pre Corona Virus to about 10mph post.
Anyone else notice a dip?

-Theodore Annemann
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Re: the virus, everything I have currently scheduled was booked before the news really started to hit. I guess I probably don't work enough to be able to notice a difference so soon.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1715 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, 252life wrote:

My bookings went from a comfortable 100mph pre Corona Virus to about 10mph post.

The stop-booking-virus has also reached wooden-shoe-country.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2409 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, 252life wrote:

The stop-booking-virus has also reached wooden-shoe-country.

And selling wooden shoes was my *** back up plan!!

-Theodore Annemann
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Djin
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, Last Laugh wrote:
Yeah it's funny that I can talk to someone one week who says 'psychics aren't real' and another week someone who considers themselves a psychic and for the most part I can find things to agree with both.

I think the only person I felt a notable moment of disagreement with was Lee Earle, funny enough. I felt like he said a few things that came across fairly cynical and, ethically speaking, that's the stuff that bothers me. But even then, that was only a small piece of the discussion and I don't feel like my job is to really challenge my guests. I'm much more interested in connecting and understanding where they are coming from. The listeners are going to draw their own conclusions anyway.

I have certainly seen my own views evolve a bit through these conversation and I think it's become much more clear to me that having good intentions and being a genuine person, no matter what your beliefs, has so much more impact on others than whether or not you have a disclaimer or 'play it for real'.

There is value in listening to conflicting opinions. As Patton famously put it "If every one thinks alike, someone isn't thinking." (Apology for any misquote, working from memory) If all your guests had the same perspective the show would run a short course.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (267 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL