The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Stripping out cards without a stripper (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
According to David Solomon, who was a student of Marlo, Ed's almost maniacal drive to create was driven by his desire to claim credit. Marlo knew that fellow magicians would take a routine and come up with multiple ways to achieve the effect, so he frequently set out to document as many as he could think of so that he could corner the market so-to-speak. Solomon stated as much in an interview.

Regarding Ed's skill, while I never got to see him live in his prime, it was apparently extraordinary. I believe he could do everything he created. I did see a video where he does a few things and actually misses a few times, but that just proves he is human.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I think I'd characterize Marlo's motives a bit differently. Ed was motivated to detail all the methods he came up with leading to his preferred method because he "feared" that others would come up with one or more of those methods as an alternative to what he considered the best of the methods. In other words he dreaded the idea that someone would look at his preferred method and then digress to one that he felt was inferior.

It's true that he was very competitive. But also that he was generally fair minded (with some exceptions). I recall Marlo finding that someone had published something that he had thought of but not published. His reaction was, and I quote, "Shame on me." He was living by his own ethics regarding the published work viz. the first published version gets the credit. Pretty fair.

Another story: I had shown my trick "The Impossible Travelers" at the Marlo table. I was really gratified to have received a spontaneous round of applause from my heroes at the table (Simon A, Dave S, Steve D et al). The next day Marlo called me and told me that he had some ideas on my concept. I though "uh oh, am I going to lose credit for this idea..." Marlo invited me to come to Chicago (about 90 minutes away for me) and have lunch with him. He had shot photos and written up his ideas. I was floored when he said that he didn't care if he was credited or not! He certainly wanted me to put my name on the manuscript I was writing up and just mention that he had had some ideas on it. Totally fair if not underplaying his contribution. I ended up using "The Impossible Travelers" Powers/Marlo because the name Marlo had cache for sales. But the write-up made it clear that the idea was mine and that Marlo had come up with some variations and thoughts.

Mike
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2019, Tortuga wrote:
According to David Solomon, who was a student of Marlo, Ed's almost maniacal drive to create was driven by his desire to claim credit. Marlo knew that fellow magicians would take a routine and come up with multiple ways to achieve the effect, so he frequently set out to document as many as he could think of so that he could corner the market so-to-speak. Solomon stated as much in an interview.

Marlo also saw this approach as a valuable creative exercise. As Al Baker was fond of proclaiming, magicians stop thinking too soon. Marlo took the opposite tack — he never STOPPED thinking. I think this approach is, ultimately, a net positive.

Magic evolves, and Marlo evolved with it. That can't be said for many other magicians of his stature.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2019, Mike Powers wrote:
I think I'd characterize Marlo's motives a bit differently. Ed was motivated to detail all the methods he came up with leading to his preferred method because he "feared" that others would come up with one or more of those methods as an alternative to what he considered the best of the methods. In other words he dreaded the idea that someone would look at his preferred method and then digress to one that he felt was inferior.

It's true that he was very competitive. But also that he was generally fair minded (with some exceptions). I recall Marlo finding that someone had published something that he had thought of but not published. His reaction was, and I quote, "Shame on me." He was living by his own ethics regarding the published work viz. the first published version gets the credit. Pretty fair.

Another story: I had shown my trick "The Impossible Travelers" at the Marlo table. I was really gratified to have received a spontaneous round of applause from my heroes at the table (Simon A, Dave S, Steve D et al). The next day Marlo called me and told me that he had some ideas on my concept. I though "uh oh, am I going to lose credit for this idea..." Marlo invited me to come to Chicago (about 90 minutes away for me) and have lunch with him. He had shot photos and written up his ideas. I was floored when he said that he didn't care if he was credited or not! He certainly wanted me to put my name on the manuscript I was writing up and just mention that he had had some ideas on it. Totally fair if not underplaying his contribution. I ended up using "The Impossible Travelers" Powers/Marlo because the name Marlo had cache for sales. But the write-up made it clear that the idea was mine and that Marlo had come up with some variations and thoughts.

Mike

I want to go on record as saying I was repeating what David Solomon and some others have said in print. I take no personal opinion because I didn't know him. I was just responding to the post regarding Marlo's multiple solutions to effects and one possible reason for it. That's all. I didn't mean to disparage Marlo as I actually have great respect for his contributions to magic.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks Mike for this story !
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
FWIW, this is the article that I referenced in my post above. We are all human and all of us have our peccadilloes. Ignoring the bad aspects of our heroes is as bad as focusing on them to the exclusion of the good.
http://themagicbrothel.blogspot.com/2012......ing.html
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Excellent article. However, one reason Marlo may never get the credit he deserves for his original inventions is that
he does not seem to have many professionally illustrated, and written books. They are not for the meek of heart to wade through.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Excellent article. However, one reason Marlo may never get the credit he deserves for his original inventions is that
he does not seem to have many professionally illustrated, and written books. They are not for the meek of heart to wade through.

Yes, drawings done by a pro are expensive and you typically still have to have photos to work from. The photos that are reproduced in some older books are almost indecipherable. In fact some get accented with ink pen to add definition.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes and even your description is quite kind. Some of them look plain junky. Hard to wade through. there is gold in them hills but you may have to dig....to find it.
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Okay, here's my opinion. (May repeat a little of what's been said already.)

Way back in the day when I used to hang with magicians, I would purposely cull four of a kind to either top or bottom under the guise of seeing if their deck was complete. (I also used my deck, at times, which already had four of a kind stacked on top (for this Paul le Paul trick I can't think of the name that I still do).) Then would false shuffle and "strip" those culled cards out as if the desk were a stripper. You know the position of the hands I'm talking about. At the end, I would hand it back to the magician and say something like "wow, you use a stripper." The look...

I was just playing around to see how far I could take the illusion of a stripper in use and always thought it to be worthless to a spectator...but then I used it on a lay person. Here would be a different application as you can strip an entire suit or separate reds from blacks out after the false shuffle. (crimp that holds and of course pre-arrangement, no culling) No one is aware that you are simply grabbing the top block or bottom. Not magicians and not layman. Of course with the lay person, I didn't mention anything about strippers. You may think this is limited and I agree it is to a point;I have also used it and was quite fun to do. Hope this helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Stripping out cards without a stripper (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL