The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gimmicks vs sleight of hand (coins) (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
254 Posts

Profile of danny
For me, it is not an either/or question. If you combine sleight of hand with gimmicks then in some cases everything can be examined. Further more, if you start with sleight of hand and they are the type of audience that want to examine everything, then later on when you employ a gimmick they may be satisfied enough from the previous examination that everything is tickety boo.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Just wondering here, but is this like the old "Coin Catcher & Vanisher" trick? If so, I used to have that thing. Had a lot of fun with it too. Smile

Hi Mb!

I'll PM you! (I'm having fun with this!!!!! heehee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2019, Hare wrote:
It sounds to me like it could be Jim Swoger's "Vanishing Nickel" little gem of a gimmick.

I knew Jim Swoger, but, I don't remember "Vanishing Nickel"!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Would that also be like Fickle Nickel (John Cornelius)? I had that one too. Nice trick but practicing SOH out-paced it for me, but mileage may vary on that.

Nope! Mg good friend, Doug Henning, used that. I think, on his first TV special in the mid '70s.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Mb217!!! I tried to PM you, but "Mb217" doesn't "work"!!!!!
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
474 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone enlighten me a little about Coin-Go? Not familiar and I don't seem to see them listed on coin gaff sites. Is there another name?

Now I'm curious, too. Evidently lots of others are, as well.

Doing a search for "Coin-Go" yields little. Not asking for secrets; just want to know what "Coin-Go" is. What's the effect?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21977 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oksay, Coin Go is a little gimmick sold back in the 1960's. It was made and sold by the Edward O. Drane wholesale company in Chicago. It is simply a pull with a special clip that makes it possible to attach a real coin, from a penny to a half dollar. Never tried a dollar size coin. But I guess it would work. The drawback is you need to wear a jacket. So everyone on the Café would not use it anyway.

The last Coin Go clip was made very nice, and had the feature of not marking up the coin. If you wanted to you could even borrow a coin and vanish it. Then just keep the quarter, as the famous Don Alan once told me, just say, wasn't it worth a quarter to see a real miracle.

I had 2 and several years ago on the Café I sold my extra one very quickly.

I don't know who made the last one I obtained, as the Edward O. Drane company has been out of business for many years, even before the Internet. Maybe they were just old stock that was found, and sold off. Never seen them since.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
474 Posts

Profile of karnak
Thanks for clearing up the mystery, Bill. As a kid, I remember buying magic products made by "Enardoe" (E. O. Drane spelled backwards). They might have been SS Adams' closest competitor.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Mb217!!! I tried to PM you, but "Mb217" doesn't "work"!!!!!

Hiya Dick, glad to see you back in action here, firing on all cylinders as usual. Smile

Not sure why the PM isn't working for you, my box is not full or clogged, and I believe I've gotten a few other PMs today???

*Also appreciate that explanation of "Coin-Go" above from Bill..Thanks. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2019, karnak wrote:
Thanks for clearing up the mystery, Bill. As a kid, I remember buying magic products made by "Enardoe" (E. O. Drane spelled backwards). They might have been SS Adams' closest competitor.

S.S. Adams made $$$ on his 25 CENT "Joy Buzzer He owned a YACHT, named THE BUZZER!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I wrote up the "story" on the coin go, and, hit the wrong button, It disappeared like that half dollar.

I'll try to get back with the history, as I know it, in a day or two,
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1058 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Just and old fashioned elastic pull.
Should work fine with a long sleeved shirt.
This is a fine example of a good oldie that gets rejected by the guys because they want the new flashy stuff.
Coin Go beats 80% of the new stuff on the Magic Café.
Do you want to juggle or do magic?
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1776 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I remember buying Coin Go from Dick at one of his lectures. Wish I still had it. Was a great item.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Wravyn, for the nice "promo"! When the little "clips" were no longer available. I tried improvising them. Finally, I just bored a hole in a half dollar, and, sold, them. Then it got difficult getting the black elastic! My friend, Jim Jayes, found a source and, now I have a life time supply of elastic! I'll PM you.

As far as I know, the late Harold Sterling (Detroit) first made and sold them. Earl Edward's stock had Harold's name on the little instruction card. I never saw any with Ed Drane's name. When Harold retired, Gene DeVoe (St. Louis) got all Harold's "left over" stock. I do still have Enardoe's CC knives. ($1.00 a set, in Abbott's #7 catalog!) A friend of my late friend, Roy Kissell, later "found" a source of supply for a suitable clip, but, when the friend died, so did the source.

Earl wasn't selling any, 'cuz the "motivater" was too short, and the hook up was in the performer's sleeve. No one in Norfolk, wore a coat in the summer! (Short sleeve shirts!), I showed Earl the "side show hook up", and lengthened the motivater, and, we could barely keep them in stock! Wearing a coat, made it easier, but, with care, I do it wearing only a shirt. I've used coin go since 1951! I've sold hundreds for $5.00 at my lectures.

The pull is an ancient gimmick, Too many of the young guys don't know how to use it. One of the "secrets" is that the pull should not "snatch" the coin, like a vanishing cage! It should just slowly work. Like most tricks, TIMING is the real secret.

I don't know anyone that currently sells the coin go. Perhaps it's just too "old fashioed"!!!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks Dick for that rundown on this.

I do remember the old coin vanisher thing I had being a sorta pull and having an little elastic cord with a little plastic clip at one end that held the coin. You can see it here at this link...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3113?gcli......I3vD_BwE

But once I developed better SOH especially as to sl**ving, I didn’t play much with such mechanical things anymore. But it was fun while it lasted. 😁👍🏽
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
835 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Some very old magic books say the most deceptive magic is that which uses sleight of hand and gimmicks that are secretly brought in and out of play. Not necessary all the time, but it works for me. I do things with only sleight of hand, of course. But gimmicks can greatly enhance an effect.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I forgot to mention,,,,,Bill Hegbli said that Drane sold Coin Go in the 1960s. Well, the incident in the EdMar shop in Norfolk, was in 1951, and Harold Sterling's name was printed on the package ("Envelope magic", we called it as fancy plastic "bags" were the cheapest packaging, then). Sterling may have sold it before '51.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
For those who prefer gimmicked/gaffed coin effects the one ESSENTIAL sleight is the Utility Switch.
You wish to employ coins the audience thinks are normal, yet avoid the "examine" request or directive, both that imply the coin might be gimmicked.
You want a handling where the thought of "examine" never occurs at all. Psychology as Dick directs.

Dump a variety of coins on a tray and place before the spectators, possibly commenting on the variety of colors, sizes and nationality.
Observers can handle them or not out of interest with no anticipation of what will come next.

Have one handed to you and perform a magic effect with it. Perhasp ...

"A silver coin - and old style American silver half dollar. Andy, I think there is a copper coin about the same size in there.
Yes, an English Penny. Two colors, two countries." Now proceed with your favorite C/S routine.

Naturally, when taking one of the coins you Switch it for a C/S gaff using the Utility Switch.
At the end either vanish or Switch it back and drop onto the tray.

or - "to make this truly international, could someone please find me a Chinese coin about the same size. Yes, that brass one will work."
Another Switch and you perform your special CSB routine.

This sleight works well since it is very natural to be passing coins form one hand to the other and back and forth with spectators.

Be sure to talk about "their coin" or "your coin" during the presentation.

Gee - I guess you may need a couple of Steal spots about your body, but a pocket separated by cards can work too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
835 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Excellent funsway and Dick. The psychology of a switch is rarely discussed. Yes, doing it on an offbeat or as a path to something else.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3200 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst I strongly favour SOH I do also use the odd gimmick if I think it will enhance an effect. However for me it's SOH first as this usually means I can just pull the coins out and I can begin, meaning I don't have to set anything beforehand and I don't have to worry about any reset which is an important factor in a working situation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gimmicks vs sleight of hand (coins) (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL