The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best cups&balls! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
andl
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
159 Posts

Profile of andl
Hi everybody!
I would like to know which is your favourite cup`s and Balls routine?! mine is aldo colombini's!
greetings!
andy
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
The best Cups'n'balls routine I've ever seen was the one Shawn Farquhar did at FISM last year. This is a must see.

/Christian
coolleprechaun
View Profile
Regular user
Winnipeg, Manitoba
108 Posts

Profile of coolleprechaun
I'd say mine is the best I've ever seen
LOL

Coolleprechaun
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Tommy Wonder's 2 cup routine without a doubt,although I can't do it yet.Alex Elmsley also has a brilliant cups and balls effect that climaxes with 1 cup filled with salt.Michael Ammar's version is very good.
All this said I still use the 1 from Mark Wilson's book.
Andre
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
My top favorite cups and Balls routines are Tommmy Wonder's and the one Michael Skinner did with coffee cups and cherries on the Tonight Show.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Ammar's routine is the standard by which others should be judged.

Tommy Wonder's routine is perfect.

David Regal's routine is the best presentation and most perfect climax ever.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I beg to differ. Vernons routine is the de facto standard since most of the routines today are based on his.

I agree that Tommy Wonders routine is great. It's been more than a decade since I saw it for the first time, and I still remember the thrill of the climax.

/Christian
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
About the Elmsley routine:

It ends with all three cups filled with salt and a pile on table. He's a clever guy!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
My favorite is David Williamson´s two cup routine. I recently acquired the Carl Andrews DVD "Table Hopping Cups & Balls" and discovered that it is strongly based on Williamson but with the advantage that you can do it without heavy loads (he uses sponge balls). Rumor has it the Mr. Williamson will soon be releasing a DVD version of his classic and out of stock video "Sleight of Dave" which contains his cup routine. I add my voice of support to many on this forum who highly recommend this material.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
One of the problems I have with the Wonder (Bema) routine is that, in some ways, you are actually taking some of the magic out of the routine and making it a puzzle by having the puffy things from the strings on the bag appear at the end.

The audience KNOWS where they came from, initially, and this, for many people, turns what should be a magical moment into a puzzle to be solved - "How did he sneak those puffy things into the cups?" and it heads the audience down the path of reconstructing the routine.

A surprise load should be just that - a surprise! The audience should have NO idea where the final load(s) came from. That's magic. The Wonder routine, while a work of genius from a technical standpoint, really can become a puzzle to be solved after the audience leaves.

Feel free to disagree, but this is feedback I have overheard from audiences who watched Wonder and others who do the routine. They don't ask: "Where did the apple, lemon and onion appear from?" but, "How did he manage to sneak those puffy things under the cups! He must have stolen them when we were watching him twiddle the wand!"

Remember: ANY explanation, even if it's wrong, is RIGHT to the audience and diminishes the impact of an effect.

To my way of thinking (and I freely admit that I could be wrong), this is a critical flaw in the Wonder (Bema) routine.

Just my thruppence worth...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
377 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
My top favorite cups and Balls routines are Shawn Farquhar.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-05-24 09:23, elgranmago wrote:
My favorite is David Williamson´s two cup routine. I recently acquired the Carl Andrews DVD "Table Hopping Cups & Balls" and discovered that it is strongly based on Williamson but with the advantage that you can do it without heavy loads (he uses sponge balls). Rumor has it the Mr. Williamson will soon be releasing a DVD version of his classic and out of stock video "Sleight of Dave" which contains his cup routine. I add my voice of support to many on this forum who highly recommend this material.

I agree 100%. dave has the best routine. he gives nuances that others don't.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Tommy Wonder, Tim Ellis, and Manuel Muerte's are my favorite routines.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-05-23 09:17, andl wrote:
Hi everybody!
I would like to know which is your favourite cup`s and Balls routine?! mine is aldo colombini's!
greetings!
andy

Which one? Aldo has published several routines. There is one that was in the Ganson teach-in series and then there is the Mama Mia! routine.

Both are good.

Quote:
On 2004-05-23 12:58, andre combrinck wrote:
Tommy Wonder's 2 cup routine without a doubt,although I can't do it yet.Alex Elmsley also has a brilliant cups and balls effect that climaxes with 1 cup filled with salt.Michael Ammar's version is very good.
All this said I still use the 1 from Mark Wilson's book.
Andre

Actually, if you re-read Alex Elmsley's book, you will see that his routine ends with all three cups filled with salt. He has the one that he shows first, pours out onto the newspaper, then he fills all three cups "with the salt that he poured out of the first one."

I have to also agree with the people who stated that Wonder's routine is flawed. It is a good routine for magicians, but the idea that the pompon ends up inside the cup as the final load is really more of a technical puzzle than a surprise.

Manuel Muerte's routine solves this problem by producing the bag under one cup and a lemon (TOTAL SURPRISE) under the other.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
andl
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
159 Posts

Profile of andl
Hi bill!
hmmmmm.... I don't know which routine it was... I saw him performing cup's and balls in 1998 in austria at a convention and I just know that it was great!
greetings,
andy
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gazzo
Ramsay
Williamson
Shankar Jr.
Johnny Paul
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
427 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Gazzo !
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Tim Ellis has one of the most entertaining.

Gertner's is the one I perhaps appreciate the most.

Cellini's is the one I do.

My favorite part of Gazzo's is that when he's insulting people, I'm laying on the couch so he can't pick on me!! Smile

I would like to see Mr. Biro's.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
The best one for me is mine because it fits my show, my lines, and my character.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The best cup and ball routine that I SAW a magician perform was Dai Vernon doing the Dai Vernon cups and balls routine.

The other best magician doing a cup and ball routine was the night I SAW Jim Ryan do his cups and balls routine. He used sponge balls like Irland used to use.

In fact Jim told me that his routine was a short Irland routine... Irlands routine was published by Magic Inc.

But the best cups and balls routine is the routine that you learn - perform - and make your own!

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best cups&balls! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL