The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best cups&balls! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-16 11:26, Fishsticks wrote:
I do cups and balls with a few paper dixie cups and a wadded up napkin if I have to. Buying the super expensive ones is silly.

If you think THAT'S silly, go to http://www.hocuspocusjr.com/cups.htm and you will see how silly I am.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great collection... now you need my Hindu Cups.

Bruce Cervon, at the Castle this week, does a great routine with three white coffee cups.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Buying the super expensive ones is silly.

It's really not that silly if you are looking to getting big paying gigs...clients paying you a grand or so wnat to see quality and proffesional looking toys!

Mike

Mike
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I know many people here have the same 12 step program problem I have.... we buy many more sets of cups than we intend, it is an addiction. The most recent set I bought was a set of Gazzo's.

Cellini lectured and made mention of his props being stolen. That really put perspective on the cups I decide to use for different perfoming situations. However, I do abuse my cups, so I do need to use heavier cups, I just have to keep my eyes on them at all times when doing street work. Currently I am using Phoenix cups. Does anyone else use them? I love working with mine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-18 21:12, Pete Biro wrote:
Great collection... now you need my Hindu Cups.

I've got 'em. Just haven't had a chance to photograph them yet.

I've added about 15 sets since I last put pictures on the web site. Among them are a set of copper Galli Galli, the Miller Indian Cups, The Biro Indian Cups, a set of P&L steel cups, a set of Sherms mini cups, a couple of sets of Ickle Pickle cups that aren't up there yet. And those neat House of Magic engraved cups -- both sizes.

I've got a real bad "Cups and Balls Jones."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Dai Vernon's routine, the grand daddy of them all.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That is probably the one routine that has had the most influence on all of us. I saw him do it live a couple of times. I have at least two of his performances on video.

Dai Vernon was very influential on my way of thinking in magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
I saw an interesting comment by Ammar, Vernon developed his cups and balls early in his career and it did not benefit from his later ideas about simplifiying things. It herefore suffers from a lot of shuttling back and forth. Something I am sure he would have eliminated later in his career. It is still a fantastic routine but I would love to see what he would have developed later in his career
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
I agree with Bill Palmer buying the higher end cups is not silly. Nor do you have to have a gig that is paying you a grand or more to use them.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A mechanic likes to have the finest tools he can afford... they last longer, the feel better, they make him/her feel better.

Palmer and I feel so good it hurt$ Smile
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
The good/bad? thing is there seems to be more and more very good cups coming out more often. We have the Sherwoods, Burger, Now Rings and Things is back! Man I have got to hit the Mega Bucks jackpot in Vegas!
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
I think that nice cups are a pleasure to perfom with and it is not silly to buy them so I'm with you guys
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I felt bummed out as I had spent mega bucks on dies and start ups to produce three kinds of cups, then all of a sudden almost a dozen new makers jumped on the band wagon.

Luckily, my new item, Self Linking/unlinking Finger Ring will cost too much to rip off.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When will your new finger ring be ready? Inquiring minds want to buy one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
My favorites to watch:

M. Ammar
Johnny Paul
Tim Ellis
Alex Elmsley
Larry Jennings
Paul Gertner
Ron Bauer's "Dixy"
Aldo's juggling routine
David Williamson

My favorites by design:

My Routine
Larry Jennings
Johnny Paul
Tim Ellis
M. Ammar
D. Vernon

It interests me that no one has mentioned the L.J. routine. I think that if Vernon designed his cups routine later in life, it would have been similar to L.J's in overall principal. My choices are below.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I feel compelled to add that Pete Biro's Hindu cups routine is a riot as well as a great fooler with really cool moves that Pete has developed.

On the subject of cheap or expensive cups, I need some big heavy cups when working outside in the street. The wind would blow Dixie cups to tim buck two. Also can't use the knit balls outside for the same reason.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You need another set of cups? Heavier? Hmmmm... what do Cellini's cups sell for?
joeybaron
View Profile
Regular user
dallas,texas
101 Posts

Profile of joeybaron
Hello, is the pete biro indian cups and balls routine available? sorry to say I am not familiar with it,but am interested. joey
Magic Marty
View Profile
New user
Illinois
80 Posts

Profile of Magic Marty
My vote goes towards Manuel Muerte's routine.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Pete, I meant dixie cups or aluminum cups wouldn't cut it on the street, which is why I use your big and heavy cups on the street. Just used them tonight in a comedy club. Visible at the back of the room.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best cups&balls! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL