The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best cups&balls! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
The king George cups by Geoff Loyd is a wonderful two cup routine with some killer moments. There was also a routine out years ago by Tannens with sryrophome cup and sponge balls where the cup ends up solid at the end.
The weaver of Illusions
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
David Regals is a stunner, Massive Climax.
Magic Marty
View Profile
New user
Illinois
80 Posts

Profile of Magic Marty
Quote:
On 2004-06-29 15:13, dogwood86 wrote:
David Regals is a stunner, Massive Climax.

Where can I find his routine? Is it in one of his books or videos? You got me interested
Tarbell Magic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Tarbell Magic
Hello,

Would any of you fine chaps have word of when the next run of JesMagic Squatty Cups become available to buy?

I'm after a copper set, and feel certain I read May mentioned somewhere ... despite that date has come and gone.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have been in contact with someone who has some inside information. The word is "don't hold your breath."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sctcarts
View Profile
New user
Colorado
10 Posts

Profile of sctcarts
Ricky Jay, without a doubt. It's all theatre, which seems to be sadly lacking these days.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
David Regal's routine is in one of the "Constant Fooling" books and also on one of the videotapes. I don't know if those specific tapes have made it to DVD yet.

Jeff
Tarbell Magic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Tarbell Magic
Quote:
On 2004-07-02 00:53, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have been in contact with someone who has some inside information. The word is "don't hold your breath."

That's a shame; they looked excellent.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They were basically a copy of the Paul Fox cups, according to Barry Schorr. The fellow who makes them, or should I say, has them made, is either a medical student or serving his residency, and really doesn't have the time to invest in producing cups right now.

In the same basic price range, I would choose a set of Brett Sherwood smooth copper cups. They hold a tennis ball with ease. They are very well balanced and look very good.

I have a set of them, and find them delightful to work with.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Shawn Farquhar's is nice, Jason Latimer's is incredibly creative, but the best by far, with out a question, is Tommy Wonder's. I have never seen a better routine of any sort, ever.

Also one of the few times I was truly "fooled", and three times in a row by the same thing.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Boy, o' Boy, how's that for raising an old thread from the dead?! Magic lives!

Fortasse
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2007-02-22 23:58, halejs wrote:
Gotta love that YouTube!!! Where else are many of us going to see the masters at work?

How about buy the DVDs that these copyrighted clips are posted from? Smile

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
Quote:
On 2007-02-22 23:49, halejs wrote:
And a "mainstream" Tommy Wonder routine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6qT8Jva......;search=

halejs, thanks for posting the links!

And if there is still any doubt about the power of misdirection, just check out the load Tommy Wonder pulls off with the blue bag!
Learn something new everyday.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1822 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A lot of the routines mentioned are very tied-in with the particular performer's personality, such as the Gazzo and Wonder routines. How many performers feel comfortable with: "Hey, virgin! No you, virgin!"?

The Vernon routine is sort of generic, but I believe it was based on an earlier routine by Malini, who, by the way, did not use "cups," but rather tea cups and rolled-up napkins as balls.

Although I too have the "Cups and Balls addiction," in that I own too many sets of cups and just love each and every one of them, there is something to be said for the "minimalist," as it were, approach.

Certainly, Malini worked for the highest of high society, yet eschewed the use of fancy "cups and balls."

I believe this thinking is behind Riser's new set of miniature cups: to eliminate anything fancy, to reduce the cups to almost non-entities, so that attention is focused on the action, rather than the props.

That being said, I have a hard time coming around to that way of thinking because I love my sets of cups and balls!
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2004-05-24 10:55, Lee Darrow wrote:
The audience KNOWS where they came from, initially, and this, for many people, turns what should be a magical moment into a puzzle to be solved - "How did he sneak those puffy things into the cups?" and it heads the audience down the path of reconstructing the routine.

I'm not sure I agree with this. If it's a problem, it's a problem that's already arisen and is an established theme by the time he gets to his Cups and Balls. So much of his work involves magic happening that's unexpected even for the magician (Deja Reverse, Magic Ranch, Tamed Card, Everywhere and Nowhere, and so on) that I think if the puzzle-problem comes up, it's going to come up before then. The misdirection is so strong, too, that even if you think he's toying with you a bit, if you see nothing, you must almost conclude that he waved his hands and instantly the bag ended up in the cup. His loads are that good. The explanation creates a deeper mystery. The initial blue pom-pom load is, from my inexperienced vantage point, one of the finest feats of sleight of hand I've ever seen.

This of course assumes that the Cups and Balls doesn't come early in the act. I've not had the pleasure of seeing him perform a set live... and never will, come to think of it. Great, now I'm bummed out...
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
I would have to say after seeing him do it in person I love david willamsons. but I also love tommy wonders. IT is so well done.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Also, with Wonder's, the way he presents it eliminates the audience taking "that" path.

He acts clearly bewildered by it. It becomes almost a reocurring nucince(?sp) to the magician.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best cups&balls! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL