The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » What is in your collection? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I've got a few things but I'm quite happy with my copy (only 100 were made) of Guy Hollingworth's Reformation tape...

jdg
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
My "Dai Vernon Book of Magic" is signed, no big deal, I know, but this one is signed by Vernon and Harry Stanley to the previous owner of the book, who happens to have been the one and only Dr. Stanley Jaks. It was then signed later by Vernon to the second owner of the book, a friend of mine in 1971. There's also a hand-written, tipped-in letter on Castle stationery from Vernon to my friend, who played the music while Vernon performed at a couple of conventions. NICE!

Steve Thomas
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
Last year I obtained all five volumes of John Northern Hillard's - Greater Magic. A classic piece of history but my wife was unimpressed. lol
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
How's this? It took me 4 years to put Greater Magic together. I was so happy when I did, I told my magic mentor that I fianlly did it. He then tells me that there is a set sitting in the bookstore window for months, for $50.00. I gave him the fifty and bought another.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------eXtrementalism------------ ..........IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND..........
1246 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Signed letter and T-shirt

from

Tommy Cooper
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
363 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
In the lower level of my magic shop I have a magic museum with many modern and vintage magic items. Some of the items have meaning only to myself while others are very collectable. Sorry but my museum is only open by appointment.

One of my favorite items is the curtain that was used by Doug Henning in his elephant vanish illusion. When Doug left magic he sold the curtain to Harry Blackstone Jr. After Harry passed away, I got the curtain from Gay Blackstone. I do not have room to display the whole curtain because it is 16 feet by 90 feet. I do have a section of the curtain on display.

I also have a number of Vernon items including an autographed deck of cards from a private session with Dai Vernon and two Vernon cut silhouettes from the 1930’s.

I have many Karrell Fox items including his “Assistants Revenge” illusion that he used during his Ford Tradeshow days. An autographed deck of cards from a private session between Karrell Fox, Billy McComb, Jeff McBride, and myself. Karrell, Billy, and Jeff all autographed the deck. I have an aluminum foil fox that Karrell made the evening he passed away and Karrell’s last autograph that I got from Karrell at the World Magic Seminar cast party.

I have quite a few Siegfried and Roy items including a set of Magic Hands glasses from Siegfried and Roy’s their estate, many autographed items, and a gold medallion with Siegfried and Roy and their Jaguar etched on it. The medallion was made by gold maestro Joe Condon and was given to my wife by Roy.

A copy “The Five Points Of Magic” autographed by Juan Tamariz and with a caricature of Juan on the back cover. The caricature was drawn by Gary Darwin in Las Vegas.

I have thousands of other magic related items, however, to many to list here. If you are ever in the Kalamazoo, Michigan please phone or e-mail me. If I have the time I will give you a tour. I never have time in October due to my Halloween businesses and I will not have time between now and July 1st, 2007.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I recently picked up a small parcel of ephemera. Inside was a magic convention program from 1979 with Jay Marshal as one of the featured performers. I only met Jay once in 1991 and I had a flight to catch so I didn't get to browbeat him for his autograph or anything. So it was nice to see he had signed this program for someone; Jay Marshall one of the better, cheaper acts.
Maybe not much, but its something I'm glad I have.
Oh and a steadily growing collection of escape artist ephemera, which is what I'm concentrating on nowadays.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 16:13, Charlie the Tuna wrote:
Last year I obtained all five volumes of John Northern Hillard's - Greater Magic. A classic piece of history but my wife was unimpressed. lol
Charlie

Most of the time, our wives would never understand why we collect what we are collecting. LOL
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I have aa singed photo of Lance Burton, a signed photo of Jay Sankey, a signed copy of the rare Sankey Unleashed, The Art Of Astonishment Books, The Night Before collaborational works with Sankey and David Acer, Making People Wonder by Jay Sankey, a VHS of Sankey Live!, and the Paul Haris Magic Manuscript. I also own the great Scotty Lang's Close Up Table.

OH and I also own every single issue of The Linking Ring in existence. Smile My prized possessions, all of them, and considering I am only 14 this is quite a bit!
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Congratulations, Michael, for having such a great collection. Keep it up.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2007-06-11 16:03, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 16:13, Charlie the Tuna wrote:
Charlie

Most of the time, our wives would never understand why we collect what we are collecting. LOL

All I can say is, If my wife only knew what I spend on magic books and magic ephemera. I would be banned from my house.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
I have managed to collect the complete set of Albo books and several die boxes, including two Thayer die boxes from the 1930's.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Good grief, I'm not sure what all I have, books signed by Slydini, Vernon, Lorayne, Mark Wilson, a good number of books and playbills signed by Uncle Harry, A set of stocks Uncle Harry used in his act built by Uncle Pete, A birdcage built by Uncle Pete, Houdini autograph, Mac King Auto, Johnny Thompson auto stuff, Pam Thompson auto stuff, Gay signed a copy of Uncle Harry's biography for me, Couple of playbills signed by Harry jr., Mark and Nani signed a bunch of stuff for me including several old Magic magazines they were featured in, Bobo signed a few things for me years back, Signed vids from the NY coin guys, signed notes from Ali Bongo, Curtis Kam, Daryl, Bob White, George Schindler, Jeff McBride, Eugene Berger, heck I can't remember half of them. Some great stuff I got from Mai-Ling from her Dad's career including Auto photo (she was so cute when she was little, not that she isn't cute now), My favorite photo of me and Max Mavin together (he has a card in his collar to make it look like he is wearing a priest collar too), Gee trying to remember half this stuff off the top of my head is impossible, tons of junk from over the years.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Marvelle123
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Marvelle123
In addition to books and periodicals, I seem most attracted to paper - ads, programs, photos, etc. I especially like throw cards, or throwout cards. Some are quite simple, some ornate. They have the added attraction of not taking up much space, and acid-free pocket pages for three-ring binders are easily found, since most throw cards are the same size as baseball cards. Another obsession of mine is Clayton Rawson, the author of Merlini and Don Diavolo mystery stories. Since he's also collected by mystery fans, those first editions with dust jackets are pretty pricey, but later editions are quite affordable.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Clayton Rawson's son also collects his father's material. I sold him a few things over the years through Ebay. He's a very nice person from the contacts I had with him.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I haven't really collected anything for a long time, but somewhere in there I have original copies of Modern Magic, Later Magic, Houdini's life story by Harold Kellock, A Magician Among the Spirits, Houdini's Escapes, New Era Card Tricks by Roterberg (1897), a 1930's Thayer catalog, and programs from Dante and a few others.

Wow, does this bring back memories! One of these days I'll have to dig stuff out and see what's really in there. I remember when I was a teenager, in the late 1960's, writing a lot of people in magic, and they would actually write back. I still have all that stuff in some box or other.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Philip Hilton
View Profile
New user
Scarborough UK
35 Posts

Profile of Philip Hilton
I have picked up a few things along the way. I have and not in any order, but off the top of my head.
A signed letter and catalogue from Jack Hughes from 1958
a complete year of Abra magazine spanning 1947-48 plus some other Abra's from the 50's/60's/70's including a Paul Daniels cover from I think 78.
A pair of handcuffs made by David De-val.
A single handcuff attached to a chain and ending in a very large antique padlock said to have held Houdini to police cell wall in Halifax England in about 1904 I think.
A Burtini catalogue complete with money off coupon signed by Burtini from 1947
Davenports Demon Telegraph from 1941
A catalogue from Supreme Magic complete with a letter from Kie Hooper (Edwin The Magician) and with a seperate single page advert.
An Alan Shaxon signed lecture special from the 70's
An original artwork drawn for me and inscribed by Uri Geller, plus a bent key also from Uri.
Signed picture of Paul Daniels & Debbie, plus seperate pics of them both also signed and my fave item has to be a full set of Tarbell books which Paul Daniels got for me from the States and which I treasure.
I may have other odds and ends, but that is most of my pride and joy.
Cheers Phil
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I have a few Houdini items - mostly locks, some Blackstone items (Jr & Sr). Other than that, I collect die boxes, wands, change bags.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
For years I wrote the column "What Is It?" in the great "Magicol" magazine.
If a collector had a piece they didn't know what it was, we would publish it and all the collectors would answer. It was a great column , but since Magicol was a quarterly magazine, it took about 9 months to get the answer. NOW I do it on my web page and it is quick. Also great collectibles are there for sale, on consignment. Check it out at http://www.oldmagicprops.com
Terry Harris
DLF
View Profile
Regular user
LA via NYC
145 Posts

Profile of DLF
I have hundreds of items in my collection but the handful of items that I consider some of my magic prized possessions are: Anverdi Spirit Bell, National Spirit Bell, Joe Berg Spirit Buzzer, one of Houdini's keys - an original albeit a small one, a small original sepia toned photo of Houdini that I got from the Jay Marshall Estate, a collection of about 20 some odd Foo Cans and about a dozen Chick, Rabbit and Dove Pans. Finall, I have a Harry Blackstone Sr. Property Sign from his show from the 1950's. It's a sign that says "Property of Blackstone World's Master Magician Now Playing Golden Gate Theatre San Francisco and likely hung backstage.
Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » What is in your collection? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL