The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Visual or Visible Spirit Writing (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
I'm currently developing a touring theatre show that would fuse theatrical magic, physical theatre, shadow puppetry, and narrative.
A major sequence I'm dreaming of involves a piece of chalk floating up and writing, visibly, on a chalkboard/blackboard.
Wondering if such a thing exists in the literature? I like the challenge of solving this and engineering something, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.
Any help hugely appreciated!
Best,
Darcy
Melbourne, Australia
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Happens every night in the Broadway musical "Matilda."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Perhaps a black art set up, if you have an assistant. That way, they could write anything you wanted to write at any time. From what you describe you are doing I would think it very doable. You could dim the lights for the spooky part of the show.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Theter's a sequence like this in the movie Fairy tales, and Paul Daniels did the effect in his first (or second) Halloween special).
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
For me, nothing is more magical than the imagination. It's often why a film can't hold a candle to its literary origin. Nothing can compare to what we see and imagine in our minds.

As far as I would go with spirit writing is something like Lebanon Circle's talking slates. You see nothing, but you hear the chalk grinding against the slates. That is engaging a sense, but a sense that can still allow us to conjure imagined images. I think seeing the chalk move immediately invites the notion of some kind of mechanism being involved, and the mystery becomes a puzzle. Another analogy is the Zombie verses the Floating Ball. One invites imagination, the other discounts it. Same with any IT work. Sure, done well, it's amusing to watch. But everyone knows how it works. I'd much rather watch Losander gracefully levitate an apparently heavy table using some kind of cover, where the mystery is still a mystery... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhdZ_zHbAg
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Lynx Blackboard is expensive but you can make your own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Visual or Visible Spirit Writing (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL